SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockmanor

How would you react to offensive language?

rockmanor
13 years ago

I hired a small business to do some work in our home. I've hired them before and was pleased with their work, and had intended to hire them in the spring for a larger job. After today, that won't be happening. The owner stopped by to make sure I was pleased, then collect the check as his crew tidied up. He was being his usual chatty self, but this time he told a story that included a derogatory phrase. I raised an eyebrow and gave him "the look" (you know, the Mom look that usually stops our children dead in their tracks), so he asked if I know what "offensive phrase" means. I began to silently count to ten in order to give myself time to think of a good way to respond, but he continued on with his story, using the phrase yet again. Thankfully, he was interrupted by my phone ringing and I excused myself to take the call. When I returned, he resumed his story and I broke in to ask a question about the job, then said I'd get my checkbook. I kept up a running commentary on the work as I walked him to the door so that he never got a chance to finish his story.

On the one hand, I'm feeling a bit disappointed in myself for not confronting him. On the other hand, I know it would not change his attitude or behavior and I just wanted him out of my home as fast as possible.

Would you have responded with a blank look and silence, or would you have told him you found his talk offensive? Would his age matter? I'm no spring chicken and this man is old enough to be my father. OTOH, my own father never thought or talked like that. Had his language simply been old fashioned, I would not have been offended (for example, saying oriental instead of asian.) This phrase was meant to be rude.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES