SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparrowhawk2

DD Wants to turn down scholarship. Need Help!!!!

sparrowhawk2
14 years ago

My 17 year old DD has been offered a full athletic scholarship to a major university 2000 miles away. This is an awesome opportunity that very few receive. Initially, she accepted the offer. Now she wants to change her mind.

Instead, she wants to go to an in-state university. The main reason is that her boyfriend is planning to attend this in-state university. He is a year behind her in school and there is no guarantee he will even end up there.

This is crazy. Turn your back on a huge opportunity because a boyfriend you may or may not have next year, who may or may not attend this particular school, may go there.

She says it is not just because of him. Now she is saying the school 2000 miles away is and is in the middle of nowhere that no one's ever heard of it.

A major state school that no one's ever heard of? I don't think so. Sounds to me that her friends are influencing this decision by saying, "Why go there? Where is it???"

I have told her, she can go where she wants, but she's going to have to get a loan if she turns down the scholarship. She doesn't have the great grades for an academic scholarship and the in-state school was not interested in her as an athlete.

She has visited the school and when we were there she liked it and was happy with the area. Now she wants to change her mind.

I say it's time to grow up and make an adult decision. It's not just the money, it's the entire package. It's the principle, it's making a smart and well-though out choice. It's not giving up what you have worked so hard for.

Am I wrong in this?????

Comments (45)