SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimmieb_gw

need help something is bugging me ! almost finished dd bath pics

kimmieb
14 years ago

Help! Need some help getting a more finished look in this bathroom or something. We just finished it last month but, every time I go in there it bothers me. I really won't be offended by any suggestions. Nothing will hurt my feelings. Just some things may not be doable right now and some may be. I never done a bathroom. I'm just disappointed it's all done and I don't really like it very much.

So here are all the pics and info on it. It is my 12 year old daughter's bathroom. It is a long and narrow bathroom, like a long rectangle, door on one end of it, window on the other, cabinets along one whole long wall and toilet, shower, closet along the other.

Here is the before:

One long wall is all cabinet, tile counter tops, hollywood strip lighting, orangey stained cabinets.

{{gwi:1854278}}

opposite wall with new paint on walls but the before shower:

{{gwi:1854280}}

This shows the shape of it a little better.

{{gwi:1854281}}

We kept the cabinets (I painted them BM White Dove), floors (they are a nuetral white with a little gray in them), and very large, ugly mirror.

The changes were paint on the walls (BM Blue Seafoam), added crown molding (BM Super White), put in new lighting, cararra marble countertops 2cm, and new towel bars and such. The biggest change and expense was taking out the very hideous and gross little plastic shower and knocking out the wall into the closet to make one large shower (shower tile is Datile white subway tile, very bright).

The color scheme is totally hers and she wants it to be a beachy theme and she is twelve so a tween type beachy theme. I am not sure if the pictures really show it but, the blue is very bright and the white trim is very bright white. The fixtures, lights, and towel bar are polished nickel finish.. I know I need accessories for sure and maybe a few other things???? Suggest away....

Here is where we are today.

{{gwi:1854282}}

{{gwi:1854283}}

{{gwi:1854284}}

{{gwi:1854285}}

{{gwi:1854286}}

{{gwi:1854287}}

Toilet is in the corner and you can't really see it.

{{gwi:1854288}}

It's really hard to photograph because of the shape of it. Hope these pictures can show you enough to visual the room all together.

Comments (37)

• sonaliagrawal
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Gorgeous makeover, love the color!

How about adding some sort of a wall art on the wall where the window is, by the towel holder ?

• chloe_s_mom
    14 years ago

I wonder if you could afix an empty, decorative EMPTY frame on top of the mirror, right over the sink, to make break up the large expanse of mirror?

I think that a greyer blue would be nice, but still beachy....

And perhaps some wall panelling (like beadboard - cottagey) that runs from the same height as the marble backsplash across the window wall, etc? Painted an antique white (can still keep the trim very white)?

• Related Discussions

Almost Finished Bathroom Pics~

Q

Comments (21)
    firsthouse -- thank you! the walls were really supposed to be light gray... I don't think the paint was mixed correctly. I'm living with it for now -- I like the blue but really wanted very light gray... Lizabeth -- thanks so much! i found the blue accent tile quite by accident in a local tile store. i was looking for subways and found those blue accents. i have no idea who made them and the order form only has a number. i immediately loved them. I had no idea what I wanted as accents until i saw them and then held them up a hunk of blue pearl which I had already purchased for the counter. Total accident - or fate! i will try to call and ask about them for you this weekend. PinchMe -- sorry I didn't see your post till today. The mirror is a "venetian style" mirror that I purchased locally but I have seen them online too. I just wanted something really different, sparkly and sort of focal. My home is a small bungalow and this bathroom is in a hall off the dining room. If I have "dining room dinner guests" they can see that wall of the bathroom from the table. I wanted something that would look pretty from the dining room view. I so appreciate all the comments! My favorite thing of all is the glass door knob! I did my kitchen in 7/08, where I have 3 doors and I started with the glass door knobs then... slowly replacing doors and knobs through the house. I think I've become a door knob freak! Really, I just love them! OK, I'm very happy with my new bathroom, everything -- but I so love my glass knob! Haha!
    ...See More

Almost Finished Master Bedroom . . . (pics)

Q

Comments (9)
    The room doesn't say "Caribbean" to me, but it does say "Wow"! You did a great transformation with the crown molding, wainscoting, and new color. I think a matching slipper chair would look good since it would only be matching a tiny pillow and not the whole bedspread. I would reconsider doing picture frames in white. That would give the feel of being too matchy-matchy and take the focus away from your beautiful new trim. I would go with darker wood frames. I don't know what you are doing about window treatments yet but I think a couple touches of cream or ivory in the room would soften the contrast between the blue and white. Maybe sneak one of the cream pillows back onto the bed? Use a cream pillow on the slipper chair? Do the picture frames in cream instead of white if you don't like wood frames?
    ...See More

90 something & finished, need backsplash advice-PICS

Q

Comments (59)
    Teppy, In my gut I know that I will not do as good a job as you did if I try to paint on my own. You have excellent taste and are very meticulous. Me....not so much. I do have a laundry room I can experiment with if I need to. I am definitely going to get a quote from a painting company, think I found one, that paints woodwork, cabinet and such. They do a lot of work for builders and had excellent pictures online. I have to get an exterior quote as well. When I get closer to actually beginning I'll post before pictures. I tried previously but couldn't figure it out. Maybe I'll take a look again this weekend. Yes, there is enough room for walking if the seating is added. It would be so nice for entertaining, cooking with the kids, kids doing homework etc. We have an eating nook that accomodates only a 48" round table comfortablly so the extra space would be nice plus it's just more social. I want to compare the painting cost vs. refacing. I'm actually hoping it's not that different because then the KD w/the refacing company could be the GC for the whole job whereas if we go the painting route I'll have find a GC on my own. Will defenitely try to figure out the picture deal so I can post. Thanks for the responses. Z.
    ...See More

PLEASE help! Almost finished kitchen, need to rechoose granite!

Q

Comments (44)
    OMG thank you all! I will look into those links. I love this forum - so many people willing to help and think outside the box. Cloudswift, the beverage center is as lowered as it can go and we cannot take 1/2 inch off the cabinet above it. We can (well we could at great expense) shave the toe kick off the cabinet next to it (but it does not help because we still have the coffee maker cabinet problem). Another problem is that base cabinet is attached to the refrigerator cabinet into which the Sub-Zero was already installed (by a certified SZ installer), I believe the fridge is bolted to the studs in the back. After the money we spent on purchasing that and the installation, I do not want to mess with removing that fridge! Thanks though, trust me I have been up every night thinking of ways to resolve this dilemna!
    ...See More
  • ctlane
    14 years ago

I love the color and the marble and the shower too. Somehow though it has a 'cold' look to it. Also love the roman shade. Maybe just needs art, towels, and a few things on the counter.

• User
    14 years ago

The blue is not right. It needs to be a grey blue. Other than that looks good.

• gemini40
    14 years ago

My thoughts exactly...very cold looking...

june

• barb5
    14 years ago

I'm a total rank amateur, but I'm thinking it is the blue too. It is not related to the marble. The marble is grey/white, and I too am thinking you need a wall color that goes in that same direction.

Maybe Funcolors will chime in here.

• pmartin
    14 years ago

Creating a themed room is usually based on how someone "visualizes" the specific theme based on their own experiences. Before "we" decide that the color isn't right do both of you like the color? Before I even considered repainting I would purchase the accesories and place them in the room. A room never looks right until you accessorize. The majority of those accessories will remain the same regardless of what color you put on the wall. Beach accessories to look for might include starfish, shells, sand dollars, white picture frames, laterns, fluffly beach towels, glass jars etc. If after accessorizing something still doesn't seem right you may want to consider changing the color. I'm pretty sure it won't be necessary.

If there is one thing that my eye was drawn to that didn't seem "beachy" was the roman blind. I think a soft wispy window treatment or a whimsical "netting" would look better, IMHO. I think the suggestion to add the bead board is a good one and would add to the overall feeling.

I googled beach themed rooms and this link popped up on youtube from "askadecorator". She has tons of great information to create a beach bathroom, might want to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CyfEhGSlus

Good luck, she's a lucky girl to have such a nice bathroom at her age.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Exactly what pmartin said.

A grey blue, which I know is in style right now, won't warm up the room, but accessories will.

Texture, like the netting suggested, or a woven wood, along with tactile things like the starfish, will do the trick.

I'm very envious as I haven't finished my bathrooms yet.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I think the issue is the lighting. Normally, you would expect the sink to be directly under the wall light, or two sinks under two wall lights. When you removed one of the sinks, it threw the lighting off.

And they look like spotlights, which are creating areas of intense light and shadows in the room.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

The blue is very bright an not relating to the elegance of the marble. BUT, since this is a bathroom for a 12y/o I would work with it. Kid's bathrooms can go a little wild. She probably loves it and you can always repaint when she moves out.

I think that once you get the towels, rugs curtains, and soap dishes in, that the room will look festive and beachy. Work with your daughter on the color palate she wants. Kids tend to love purples and oranges and pinks. Don't faint.

Some of these color combos can be inspiration:

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I agree, wrong blue for the beachy look. The roman shade is classy....not beachy. :0)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

One way to soften the look and accentuate the beach theme is to add some tropical plants in the bathroom - Hawaiian Ginger or Bird of Paradise, if the bathroom is warm and steamy enough, but any palm or fern type plant would help.

{{gwi:1854290}}

*They also have a matching bath rug with the thong sandal design. Kewl.

• luvnlife_09
    14 years ago

It seems like the long expanse of mirror is bothering you.
    I once saw an ad for the link I've copied below. It is framework that you can buy and put over your existing wall mirror.

I also will attach a link that tells about making a frame from plywood, painting it, and then covering it with glue and sprinkling sand and/or shells etc. I don't know maybe that would just be an awful dust collector :(
    Here's the link, sorry, you'll have to copy/paste:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4548674_make-beach-themed-mirror.html

I wondered about putting a container (like wicker or wood) of grassy looking stuff in the corner of the counter--like seagrass. I think the room needs texture in some form. I'm not much for this, but I'm sure you'll get lots of good suggestions from others! Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror frames

• kimmieb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestions. I don't like the paint color but, it matches DD bedroom and after many fights with the hubby about how it is her room and let it be, I had to give in.

{{gwi:1854291}}

Thank you for all the suggestions. I am going to do just as some of you suggested and get a textural shade like a woven grass one for the window, add some art to that one wall, and put a dimmer on those lights. I don't know if I said this but, a couple people nailed it. The mirror drives me insane and the contractor (my bro in law) was supposed to frame it out and he left and didn't do it. Now DH keeps putting it off. I was thinking about framing it into sections by using flat trim and liquid nails. But, now I am worried the one sink looks weird on that really long cabinet run. Hmmmm. This is a hard one. Thanks for all your input.

• pat_tea
    14 years ago

What is your daughters vision of "beech". You could go tropical beach, with tropical plants as suggested, and tropical prints or it could be more artsy beach with shells, beads etc. Or it could be a combination. I like the black and white and you could play that up with black and white beach theme prints, towels, rugs. I see a black lacquered tray with white shells and a piece of coral for a pop. My 12 year old granddaughter would love that wall of mirror. But at any rate find out what her vision of "beach" is. Maybe have her make a list of items, colors, feelings she thinks of when she thinks of a beach.

• kimmieb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's a good idea pat tea. I am guessing she means seashells, sand, starfish, etc. She has some of that in her bedroom. The tropical beach would be a little too mature looking for her. I was thinking about some big glass jars in the corner filled with seashells in a grouping. What kind of rug would fit her idea? She doesn't want pink or green in there and white would blend in. I have bought 2 different blue bath rugs and the color doesn't go with the BM Seafoam Walls. I don't love the floors but they weren't horrible so I left them and didn's install new ones. This bathroom ended up being twice my budget, if I had know that I probably would have gutted it. She loves the big mirror and there was no way in heck I was going to try to get it out of there. It's huge.

• pat_tea
    14 years ago

Check this out. This sight has a bead and shell dolphin curtain. Also, you could put a tray of sand on the counter where you could leave her love letters in the sand. You are probably to young to know that song but seriously, I saw a tray of sand with a heart drawn in it that would be cute. A textured rug with a color pulled from the curtain would be nice.

http://www.shopwildthings.com/doshbecu.html

• les917
    14 years ago

I think the wall color is lovely!

First I would ask her what she thinks a beach theme entails, if there are pix that she would like to see framed in the room, etc. Her vision of beach may be very different than yours or ours.

Not knowing that, tho, I would:

Change the window treatment to a woven wood/matchstick type of blind in a warmer tone. Put hand towels in a similarly colored basket on the vanity.

Get towels in coral color, as well as rugs for the floor, to warm up the space. Penney's has their masterpiece towel collection on sale right now, free shipping offer too, and they have coral.

Get a big glass hurricane vase, put in a couple of inches of sand, then fill about 1/3 with shells (including some with the coral color in them) and then fill with tall grasses like those you would see at the beach.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Your bathroom layout is similar to ours, but we don't have a window. I think you just need some accessories and picures in there to complete the room.

I would change out the stark Roman shade, though. I happen to be a pattern person so I'd probably look for a Jacobean pattern that would complement the blue walls.

I really like the wall color you've selected.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Texture is what you need. A bamboo or some type of natural roman shade is a great suggestion as well as the beach grass. In my beach inspired bedroom I have a basket type vase with the beach grass in it. (I dislike the word themed LOL) The vanity is quite long, so you could use something quite large in scale. Accessories on the walls and vanity will warm it up alot. I could see some sandy colored rugs and towels for a little warmth. How can you have a beach without sand? You've done a great job so far and I love the shower improvement.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I like the color for a tween! Like others, I think the long counter offers the opportunity for vases/baskets filled with shells, fancy soaps, twisty branches, and/or a plant or two. A large print on the wall would be fun. It could be beachy or just colorful like a Matisse which might pick up the blue and have complementary, fun colors. Glad you are going to change the shade. That is the one thing that I think really doesn't work. It is a wonderful bathroom.

• saskatchewan_girl
    14 years ago

If it's your dd's bathroom & her ideas.........go with it : ) I'd start by adding to your large mirror. Some ideas would be to add a frame by going with sea shells, bamboo, etc. You could make a craft type of project with dd by using 3" x 1/2" wood frames cut to size and then use mosaic glass, mother of pearl peices, sea shells or textured wall paper that is painted (silver or bamboo color). It might be easier if you add your ideas to the frame and then tack it to the mirror after.......this way if you change it again in a few years, it's simple.
    I'd also consider a shell chandelier or chrome style and accessorize with you beach style with candles, sand etc.
    I also like the idea of the bamboo/reed grass shade for the window.
    When you decide on a rug that you like and feel it really goes with dd's bathroom......buy it, you can always change the wall color to match and it's an inexpensive adjustment.
    Here are a few pics for ideas:
    Done with textured wall paper

Paintable wallpaper.....easy to add to wood frame!! Inexpensive also

These would look nice in the center ceiling fixture

Or above the mirror but against the wall.......seen this on DIY network yesterday LOL

• organicnoob
    14 years ago

graywings nailed it. The lighting is all wrong.

The needs to be a light over the sink. There also needs to be lighting for the vanity area. It looks so off the way you have the lighting and in a bathroom it's very important to have the lighting where you need it.

It's really really wrong and I'd be a lot harsher about how wrong it is if it wasn't a relative that did the work.

I also don't understand the logic behind removing one of the sinks. It's the opposite direction people go in.

I would add back the second sink, move the lighting so you have one bar centered over each sink and maybe a decorative pendant/small chandelier over the vanity area.

As for the other things people have said it's a matter of taste. THe lighting is one of those things that bother you but you can't put your finger on it.

• lacombe
    14 years ago

Hi kimmieb, I just looked at the color of your bathroom, you have the color below the color that I choose on the color swatch . The color that I choose was the icy moon drops, I was going for the spa look in our new bathroom in our basement,if you want a lighter blue then what you have now, I also got that color in the Aura paint. I did notice that your 2 light fixtures look very cold looking, maybe if you replaced them with a warmer light fixture in the chrome. I'll post the light fixture that we put in above the mirror. We also went with the carrara marble too.

{{gwi:1854300}}

{{gwi:1854301}}{{gwi:1854302}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I guess it's just the lighting, because I want to see white cabs (like your trim) but you say they are White Dove. Looks more like a medium gray from here.

The lighting you have might provide side lighting at the sink, but you really need some overhead, ambient lighting in addition, for the whole room.

Accessories will go a long way, in that the room looks incomplete right now. I can picture a big white oval rug. White towels; maybe with an accent stripe detail, or something. Art on the wall. Some large glass apothecary jars holding seashells, starfish, maybe even some artificial lemons and lime for color, freshness, and aroma; or something to that effect. Small one for cottonballs and q-tips? Beautiful white pillar candle or hurricane of some sort.

Maybe a small table lamp and makeup mirror in the vanity area.

I like the color, as it appears here, with the all the marble, and also with the white trim, and the contemporary glass and chrome of the shower area.

• kimmieb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your honesty. I will start with a bamboo shade, add some accessories, big white rug, towels, glass jars with tropical items like shells and sand. Great suggestions. I promise you guys though DD won't let me touch the paint color. It's there to stay for a while.

I do agree that taking out the sink was a mistake but, this is not the master bath anymore so the thought was she didn't need 2 sinks so why put it in again. In hindsight I should not have done that but, the countertop supplier said that. It's way too late to correct that I believe or is it? Maybe when they come to do my kitchen counters they can cut that other hole. Do you think?

Organicnob The lighting is really not as bad as the picture shows but, I see what you mean. In an effort to cut costs I had my Bro in law do the work and i really wanted to remove the mirror and add sconces, etc. To cut costs and because he wasn't really hip on doing that, I let it go and tried to work with what I had and the existing electrical boxes. In hindsight, I would have insisted on what I wanted. I was running over budget & it's a long story. Got frustrated and so on... So, I will consider adding a chandelier. I am learning a lot during the remodel doing it slowly so on bath 2 and 3, i'll know what to do.

I have the PB Teen capriz colored chandelier that plugs in. Maybe if I hang it over the vanity area from the ceiling it will add something there. Then is it worth trading off the vent fan/light thing for another overhead fixture?

Then I'll tackle the mirror issue. Thanks so much all. Keep it coming.

• pps7
    14 years ago

I think it's a lighting issue. Those lights look like spot lights and there are alot of shadows. The before pictues had much better lighting. Can you put recessed lighting or a fixture in the middle of the bath. I also think towels, floor mats and a few beachy knick knacks like seashells will help. I like the wall color and I think it looks okay with the wall marble. The floor is more of a pink-grey so doesn't really go. But you can cover it with a nice seagrass runner and that might do the trick. The beadboard is a gread idea.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

kimmieb,

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get them to cut the other hole down the road, which would be advisable for resale purposes, even if there isn't another bedroom served by this bathroom, the next family could have two children in the one bedroom.

RE lighting: Yep, it's the fixtures. The Hollywood strips gave off almost 360 degree light and you've cut it by more than half with the spot style fixtures. I know you're over budget already, but maybe you could sell these fixtures on CL (as almost new for about 75% of what you paid) and get some new ones that provide the same amount of light you had before.

• kathec
    14 years ago

If you have one near, stroll through Home Goods. I always find interesting things there. I would avoid doing anything permanent that's too specific. Things that can be changed out are best. I'm going to attach a link to one of my former homes. The pictures show it as it was staged to sell. The accessories are simple, but can easily be swapped out as tastes change. Before this bath was staged, my kids had a jungle theme.

A couple of years ago, Kenneth Brown did an episode on ReDesign on HGTV where he re-did a family room in East Coast Beach Chic. He and and the homeowner went shopping for accessories.

Maybe a glass table lamp, the kind you can fill up, filled with sand dollars or shells. Coral picture frames lacquered in a bright pop of color. Texture works too. Target had some cool textured placemats (kitchen section) that could work on the counter. A small rattan bench near the wall.

Great job by the way. I really love the shower. I'd love to do that in my master bath someday...

Kathe

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• akrnhsnc
    14 years ago

I think you've received a lot of great suggestions, especially for the window treatment and changing it to a woven wood shade. I also think you need another color in there to give it some punch, a coral color would look good with the blue and possibly add to the beach theme. Roll up towels in a couple of shades that work with the blue and put them in a nice basket on top of the counter. I'd think about cutting another hole for resale purposes down the road but in the meantime, use the expanse of counter to decorate. It just needs some finishing touches and it will be beautiful. I also saw some rugs shaped like shells that had blue, coral, sand and other colors in them online. They would be great for color on the floor and to draw from for towels.

• karinl
    14 years ago

I wouldn't have any regrets about losing the second sink, especially not while it's "her" bathroom. That long space gives you room to accessorize - you couldn't put a glass jar with shells, for instance, in a smaller space used by an active teen... at least, I wouldn't.

I have to say, you guys on this board are good at what you do! I agree that making the lighting more ambient rather than spot, and softening the space with accessories including plants, will do a lot. I wouldn't obsess about the mirror though. I think one reason it seems to be an issue is that it reflects the starkness back, doubling it. But it will do the same with the accessories you put in, and I think its severity will pretty much evaporate. A frame might be good, but wait and see.

Finally, I notice that you had a bamboo blind before. Perhaps you could reuse.

KarinL

• andee_gw
    14 years ago

I think opinions on the wall color may be "colored" by the beaches we might be used to. I've seen ocean water the color of that wall.

• youngdeb
    14 years ago

It's not soft Hamptons beach blue, it's vibrant Miami Beach Blue! I like it, but it calls for other strong colors, corals, yellows, pinks even reds. I wouldn't tone it down, I'd play it up. Maybe some cool wall graphics - they're not expensive and they're temporary. You can find great ones at etsy and whatisblik.com. You could even do them on that mirror, which could look really fantastic.

Plants make a huge difference in bathrooms too...I'm thinking an indoor palm or something.

Good luck, I think you've got a good start!

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I can't say that you're getting good advice on the sink issue until you answer another question or two...do you have a "real" master bath with two sinks? And did you cap off the plumbing but leave it accessable in your daughters bath? If you answered yes to both, leave the long counter. You don't have to plan for a family that does not live in your home and two sinks in a one person bathroom is rediculous (I've had it...it's awful). IF you capped off you can advertise it's ready for two sinks when you sell if you want, but don't cut a hole without knowing if it's necessary. If you don't have a real master bath you've probably made a mistake giving it to your daughter and you should plan on making a real one when you move...but again, why do it now? It's an easy fix later.

Someone mentioned whispy or gauzie for the window. IMO it's absolutely necessary. If you put in a bamboo shade you've added some texture but it's still a hard texture and your bath is far too high on hard textures and way way low on soft textures and the beach is all about softness.

White for your towels and mats...keep it easy and soft (again because it's missing) go fluffy on those mats...fun and fluffy.

I wish I had a pic but in my condo appt I went with a color very near your color and loved it. One thing I did to soften the big mirror was to use a bunch of picture frames on the mirror painted in a shabby chic type of white. (does that make sense?) They were all cheap picture frames, but mostly bulky frames, with the pics removed and then I velcroed (double stick velcro in white) the frames to the mirror, with a big one over the sink and the balance scattered around. You'd be amazed how the harsh lines of the wall mirror disapear in the debth of the framed pieces.

I am with most in that I don't like the lights, but their placement isn't the issue, it's the harshness of the fixtures themselves...but that's an easy fix if you soften up the rest of the room with texture. Fluffy white mats, towels, white frames on the mirror, a soft breezy gauzy window covering (which could be done over a grass cloth shade if you want more privacy) and some lovely counter accessories (candles and sand, grasses etc) would really make the room sing, and fix all of your issues (IMO) I'd consider doing the gauzy covering by tacking the gauze to a whispy piece of thin beach wood for the curtain rod, and then hot glue sea shells or sand dollars or star fish every five or six inches as if they were holding up the gauze...

A collection of antique perfume spritzers would be a lovely accessory to bridge your tween into teen.

• sherwoodva
    14 years ago

Hi, Kimmieb
    I'm "late to the party" but wanted to say that I love the blue. The others are right that you can soften the look with accessories. I noted that you asked about eliminating the vent. Please avoid doing that. Teens tend to take longer showers - your daughter might be taking short showers now, but could spend more time later, and you will be very glad to have that vent/exhaust fan.

Plan a mother/daughter trip to find some "beachy" prints that you can hang or even print some pix of your daughter at the beach. A jar of shells, and plants on the counter would soften it up. I would be leary of putting candles in there, though.

Have fun.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I've had a long counter with one sink before - tho the long part was the make up area w/ bench. still there's teenage stuff to go on that counter - just wait. you could put a fake palm tree plant there or some bamboo canes. how about hanging some netting from the ceiling over a corner or something? with some starfish etc on it - like they were 'caught'. maybe that could be the WT.

the lights are a major problem i think. don't look at all beachy.

you could also glue shells / starfish etc around the mirror.

and maybe some beach art on the walls. how about a poster of Annette and Frankie? lol!

• jenfromnc
    14 years ago

I love the color for a teen's bathroom. I don't think she is thinking "beach" the way that adults might. Maybe think more "surfer" wild then "beachy" calm. I would let her pick whatever color towels and rugs she thinks goes with the blue, buy some wall art and call it good.

I love the long counter, and as she gets older and her junk multiples, she will love it too. You can always change the sink, mirror, and paint once you send her off to college. I wouldn't change any of the lighting or anything either, while it might not be themed, it is nice looking, and you won't have to change it later.