SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

College scholarships

Kathsgrdn
15 years ago

I figure a lot of you have been through this before. I'm not waiting till the last minute, although my son doesn't see the need to worry right now. He has a year and a half before he actually has to make up his mind about where he wants to go and apply for scholarships. But, time flies and I don't want to wait till the last minute.

I went to his counselor today at school and got information on the ACT and when they were giving it. They told me there is also a PSAT given in October that is used to help get a governor's scholarship. So, he is definately taking that one and all three ACTs, whether he likes it or not-lol.

If you've been through this with your child recently, can you give me some advice? Should he apply to as many different little scholarships as possible or just the full tuition ones? Some of the schools that offer the degree he's interested in at the moment have the govenor's scholarships that are 100% and president's scholarship, some even enclude room and board and books. I'm just hoping he keeps his grades up. I'm worried that he doesn't participate in extracurricular activities, though, and that will knock him out of those. They don't specify anything other than GPA and ACT/SAT scores, though, so not sure about that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I went through school on mostly loans and I'd rather he not be strapped down to paying all that money back if possible for years and years. Oh, and I've told him he will have to get a job too, part time to help with his expenses.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!