SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerseystepmom

Courts in NJ around college funding

jerseystepmom
16 years ago

Hi,

I haven't posted in a long time, but I was wondering if anyone out there has experience in the NJ courts on the issue of paying for college? Since my husband has refused to pay anymore for his daughter's college education, the ex has hired an attorney.

FYI, on WHY he refuses: his ex took my SD away in her sr year of high school and totally cut him out of the college selection process. She chose to go to a VERY expensive school and has spent the last two years drinking heavily and getting a few A's, but B's, C's and D's. She got fired from her job at school, refused to return a scholarship application that would have given her an additional $16,000 (max, but $10,000 at least). Additionally, she lived with us between her freshman and sophmore year and lied and stole from us (mostly me!) the entire summer. Her mother believes that forcing her to take out a student loan is tantamount to child abuse.....even though she has blown through over $100,000 that was saved for her since her birth for college. We do not want to settle --we want this to go to court, but I know the courts in NJ are difficult....any suggestions or experiences out there???

Comments (28)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner