SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathline_gw

child support through college

kathline
15 years ago

We can go round and round on this subject, but I wanted to keep it from taking over nicksmoms last post.

Only a relatively few states mandate that a parent MUST pay for a child's college education. In the states that do mandate it, its not an issue, the law is clear about what is required. BUt most states do not mandate it. Child support, in most states, legally ends after high school.

Should a parent contribute? IMO, yes. SHould they be mandated to do so? I dont think so. THere is no requirement for parents who are not divorced to pay , so its not proper, imo, to expect divorced parents to pay.

The best way to insure that your ex contributes to the college education of the children, is to do everything possible to foster a good relationship between the child and the non custodial parent, and to keep any personal rancour to a minimum. A lot of non custodial parents, by the time the child gets to college, are either broke from the legal wrangling through the years of constant modifications to support for an extra fifty dollars, or they have been alienated from their kids and the kids, who now expect the parent to pay for college, hasnt been to see the dad in six years. A lot of non custodial parents get tired of fighting with the ex.

STudies have consistently shown that non custodial parents who see their children on a regular basis and who are allowed to have a good relationship with them, without all the fussing and fighting that often seems to happen between the ex spouses, are not only far more willing to pay for college, but are willing to pay in greater amounts.

If you are a custodial parent in a state that doesnt force a non custodial to pay for college, your efforts would be better spent trying to maintain civility with your ex, giving a little now and then, and encouraging your child and his other parent to be close. That is not what usually happens.

Nicksmom's husband and his ex seem to be relatively amicable, although they do have some issues. Nicksmoms husband has been helping voluntarily with college for his son, and probably will for his daughter as well. Why? because he hasnt been cut out of their lives, nor denigrated by their mother, to the point where he has no real relationship with the kids.

In my own case, I have been fortunate. My childrens support order was made in Canada, and in Canada, not only does support continue to be paid at table amounts to the parent, the ex is also responsible for half of tuition, books , and residency costs. However, even in Canada, there is a provision to end support IF there is no relationship between the child seeking support, and the parent. Its hard to get it granted though.

My children had their college expenses paid for, split fifty fifty between my ex and myself. Of course, most of their expenses were paid from a trust fund set up by my husbands family for the kids, years ago, so the amount was minimal.

My foster kids, none went to university, but I paid for community college for them, out of my own pocket since my ex was not responsbile for kids who were not biologically his. I have never regretted using my own personal money to pay for those lovely young people to get a good start in life.

Now, my husbands children, my steps, are not near college age yet. My husband is not legally required to pay for their college when they are. We WILL pay though, as long as the kids and my husband are not estranged ( they are not likely to be since we have split physical custody). But you can bet, we wont pay a single penny to his ex for support , even if the kids are living with her during college. She has been too difficult about small things for us to ever consider doing something to help her out in any way. Any assistance we give will be given directly to the school, or directly to the child. Not to her.

WHen the kids get to college , the ex doesnt get to decide on her own which college the kids should go to, how much my husband should pay, or anything else.

I have set a trust fund up for my stepkids, to pay their expenses, but , when the time comes, I have set it up so that I legally do not have to turn it over, if I choose not to. My Skids are great and I am sure that everything will be fine. BUt their mother likes to make life difficult on everyone, especially my husband, and she doesnt really CARE if it negatively affects the kids, now, or in the future. SHe doesn not know about the existance of the trust fund, nor do the kids. I will tell the kids as they approach the age where they will need the money.

Some people, both custodial, and non custodial, cant put the kids first.

Comments (52)