SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamar_422

'Extras' Through College

tamar_422
15 years ago

It's pretty ironic that there are threads on child support through college and who pays for extras. I am pretty frustrated with SS21 today because of those two topics exactly.

My two SSs live with us. Their mother remarried and moved out-of-state several years ago. She has never paid CS for either of the boys.

DH pays 100% for college at a private university - tuition, books, apartment, living expenses, car and car insurance. The only thing asked of son was that he contribute to his own spending money by working over the summers. This spending money is to cover such things as his private gym membership (he doesn't like the university gym) and his $110/month parking garage (if he parked on the street, he'd have to get up and move the car before 8AM or risk getting a ticket).

He is going into his senior year, and has yet to ever hold a job. For the first two summers, he was here at home and "couldn't find a job." DH ended up paying him $8/hour to do projects around the house, like painting a small barn. Very few of the projects were completed satisfactorily. Son's exact words were that he wasn't getting paid to finish projects, he was just getting paid $8 an hour to paint. Last summer son had his apartment at school, and wanted to stay there and take summer school. DH said okay, we will pay for summer school, but you need to find employment. Son took a 3 week course, and then spent the rest of the summer hanging out with a friend of his from high school who moved in with him for the summer. He fabricated a job at UPS. Seriously, he made up a whole package handling job, which he had to "quit" a couple weeks later because it hurt his back. This is a kid that bench presses 400 lbs. Anyway, it came out last winter break that the UPS job was non-existent, and DH was understandably very disappointed. He told son that he absolutely had to get a summer job this year.

This summer, again, son wanted to stay up at school. He was supposed to find a job, but didn't start looking until the end of June. School let out in the beginning of May. He still hasn't found a job. We have been paying the rent on the apartment directly to the landlord, as DH co-signed the lease, but we are not sending any allowance for the summer to son. Well, son just called, upset, because he got a notice from his landlord that he owes $220 for parking. I have no idea where he came up with the idea that we were paying for this, since it was made very clear to him when he "needed" to have a car at school that while we would cover the cost of the car and insurance, the parking would be his responsibility. He alone signed the parking contract, and I think he alone should pay it. DH disagrees. Where is son going to get the money?

Did I mention that this is the same son that was driving through the automated toll system without paying since December 2006 (in the car provided by and registered to us), and we got a notice from the state department of transportation that we owed $1467 - $67 in tolls and $1400 in fines! Guess who paid this?

I am anxious about next year, when son is supposed to graduate. He has no idea what he wants to do. He was talking about law school, but that faded away after DH said great, I will help you fill out student loan applications. Apparently, son thought law school was what he wanted, until he realized we weren't going to pay for it. It feels like this son does not want to take responsibility for his adult self, and honestly, I don't think DH is helping. Arrrrgh!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES