SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Shopping for a Daughter's College Dorm . . . OMG!!

lynninnewmexico
11 years ago

Yesterday DD & I spent the bulk of the day shopping for her dorm room needs, as she heads off to college next month. It was a fun day and a good bonding day, too, but OMG I'd forgotten how many things an incoming freshman needs . . . especially a girl!!!

Nine years ago when I was doing this same thing with our son, he could have cared less about colors, styles, coordinating, etc. All he cared about was that he had a dorm fridge and microwave (LOL)!

Although we'd been checking out dorm things for the past month now, DD finally deciding to use a big graduation gift card to BB&B got us acting on it yesterday. I'm already fretting about what we're forgetting, though. Will you help me? I'd love to hear any ideas you might have.

Her roommate and dorm assignment should be coming in the next week or so. She and a girl from Dallas that she got to be friends with at orientation have requested to be roommates, and I imagine that will probably happen. No idea yet if they'll be in a quad with 2 rooms/ 4 girls sharing one bathroom or if they'll be in a regular 2-person dorm room sharing one or 2 large community bathrooms. They really don't care.

Anyhoo, here are some of the things we're contemplating, but haven't bought as yet. What do you think? Any suggestions?

* one of the things on BB&B's list is a bedbug mattress cover. OMG, really!?!

* 2 sets of towels or one? (I say 2 bath towels, no hand towels and a few washcloths)

* 2 sets of sheets or one? (I say one, as 2 would take up valuable space)

* minimal tool kit (2 short-handled screwdrivers/small hammer, adjustable small wrench. I'm iffy on this one. Don't they have them available thru their RA?)

* any ideas on how to put together a small sewing kit so that it's readily available when she needs it but doesn't take up much room?

* what minimal things for microwave use in her room and how to store them????

*ziploc storage bags??????

*rug for floor between beds???

* DD tells me that a backrest for her bed was strongly recommended on the college blog. I think it would be a space hog, but then again, they kind of live on their beds in a dorm.

*any ideas on how to corral her clothes? toiletries? Make-up? Costume jewelry? Nail polishes, etc? I'm extremely aware that storage is very minimal in dorm rooms and we need to come up with the best way to store what she brings . . . and believe me, we're stressing minimal constantly! We also need to try and get pretty much everything before we leave. I learned that lesson the day we moved DS into his dorm room 9 years ago! Many people told us to wait and buy much of the things he needed at a Walmart/Target/etc. near the university. BAD, BAD idea!!! We were there with a gazillion other stressed out people, all with the same idea, and most of the stock had been sold before we arrived!

**QUESTION: any experience with the university sanctioned groups on campuses (mainly fraternity guys earning $$ for their houses)that you can hire ahead of time to move all your kid's boxes, etc. into their dorm room for you? Not unpack them, just carry them up from your distant (LOL) cars up to the dorm room.

OK, these are the things we've already purchased or have on our list to get still or bring from home. Anything we've missed?

*** a single ex-long bed, either loft w desk & chair under it (great idea!) or single w desk & chair at foot of it are provided. Some sort of single closet for each, too.

- cell phone & charger

- IPOD, charger and headphones

- washable comforter cover for her lightweight down comforter

- one set of coordinating sheets

- good quality mattress pad

- DD's special lap-type blanket

- one bed pillow

- 2 throw pillows from Pottery Bar (as was the comforter & sheet set), not needed but strongly desired by DD -LOL!

- under-the-bed storage box

- bed risers if we need them

- small room safe (offered thru the university/will hold her laptop, IPOD, wallet, small amount of extra cash, etc when needed)

- dorm fridge & MW (will coordinate with roommate on these)

- Brita water pitcher (with bright pink top-LOL)

- small sewing kit

- Keurig individual coffee brewer: DD loves Starbucks and hot tea and told me that the online college blog strongly recommended buying one to save big $$ on pricey coffee shop coffee. She used her own savings for that one.

- regular, microwavable coffee mug for dorm room and large thermal travel mug for taking with her to classes, etc.; cocoa mixes, tea bags, sugar, Keurig packs, snack bars, MW popcorn, etc.

- minimal things for MW (one plate, bowl, waxed paper, etc)

- l thin dish towel for clean-ups ???

- 2 bath towels/ no hand towel/ 2 white wash cloths/ special super-absorbent hair towel, as she has middle of her back long, thick hair.

- hairdryer and hair products, brush, comb, curling iron, etc.

- shower caddy w supplies

- robe for walking the halls, especially if she's assigned a co-ed dorm :~O (which I hope she's not!)

- Tide Pods for laundry and a prepaid money card for it

- a ("cool, turquoise" /her words) Dustbuster, something also strongly recommended on the college blog

- a mesh, collapsing laundry hamper

- medium-size, narrow trash can for desk

- gooseneck desk lamp

- laptop & good backpack that will hold it

- bulletin board

- small box with various meds she might need, as well as extra contacts, etc.

- school supplies

- clothes, shoes, etc.

Thank goodness that DH has a pick-up truck with a hard, locking cover on the bed of it that we'll be driving her to college in! We should have no problem hauling anything we need. The only problem will be Mom crying half the way back home afterwards :~(

I'm sorry that this is a long post, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any ideas or suggestions. Many thanks!!!

Lynn

Comments (86)