SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

My mom got Alzheimer's during aunt's end of life care?

jterrilynn
10 years ago

I'll just come out with it...
My mom has a history of mental illness and being manipulative. She has become markedly forgetful in the last two weeks since my aunt was taken to the hospital followed by hospice and eventually passing. It is a very sad time. During that time and long before mom has also taken any and all illnesses from family members as her own. She does this by listening to the symptoms and then getting said symptoms. She has the nickname of disease thief behind her back. Throughout my aunts cancer illness my mom has been planning her own personal funeral. Whenever my sister and I would have conversations of my aunt during her illness my mom would switch the conversation over to her own funeral plans. In other words, tried to make it all about her! She tried to coerce my sister into these long plans "to get close" but my sister wouldn't bite. On the day my aunt died mom was all about her own personal funeral plans again. When that didn't work she started telling everyone she has Alzheimer's and then proceeded to call up family members and ask stupid questions over and over. While I am well aware that those truly with Alzheimer's have moments of brightness where they seem normal how can I tell if there is anything really going on with mom or if she's trying to get attention (as is her usual way)? I know she is hurting over aunt's death but how do I handle this? My sister and I as well as other family members have some bottled up feelings that I think is preventing us from looking at this logically (long story). I will be going up for the funeral and spending part of the weekend with mom, as of yesterday she has started calling everyone up to see if I'm coming and when. She has been told over and over. I just don't know if she's screwing with me again...I suspect she is, but how would I know for sure? She's seventy two and up till recently has seemed to have her own brand of mind and memory mostly intact with some forgetfulness but honestly seemingly not anymore forgetful as is usual when we age. Since I was normally a target for her during her low times, well, this is really stressing me out and making me feel anger. I want to try to keep it together for my younger sister who was affected a bit differently by mom and has a harder time dealing with it all. This is one of the reasons I do not fly back home very often. Sheesh, I just want to grieve for my aunt right now. But what if?

P.S . As I was writing this mom called yet again to ask if I was coming and when, then, asked again if I was spending the night. She said she cannot remember where the paper is that I made her write it all down on. I told her again but said I couldn't remember on all other ridiculous questions. Now I feel bad. Up till recently there were no other signs (at least during our phone conversations).
As you can see I need some help. How do I deal with this and keep my own sanity? I'm leaving tomorrow but will check responses intermittently from sister's house. Thank you!

Comments (15)