SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Reconnaissance Mission #1

DLM2000-GW
12 years ago

We are headed to western North Carolina on a 4 day fact finding mission to see if the area holds promise for a move - basically, town shopping. We've reached a point where we are ready for something new and as hard as it will be to leave the area where we've both lived all our lives, it's time to plan the next phase.

This wouldn't be a retirement move but a change of lifestyle move. We live in a lovely suburb of Chicago, but the cost of living here (monetary & otherwise) is just too high and doesn't allow us to live the kind of life we want. We want a smaller home, a setting that allows us to enjoy more outdoor activities without requiring long drives or plane trips, and a milder climate. I've been researching different areas of the country for quite a while and keep coming back to WNC. It doesn't get us closer to our boys, which is the downside. One is finishing college and will end up who knows where. Our oldest loves the Pacific NW, specifically Skagit Valley, but could decide to try someplace new at the drop of a hat. So moving to be with them would be unwise unless we loved the area and would stay there regardless.

As long as DH can transition his businesses (and that is in process), the cost of living there will allow us to travel more easily to our boys or bring them to us more often. And if we do this right....... our oldest is showing a lot of interest in moving there, too. He loves the idea of a family compound with shared land and separate cottages, communal food production (he's such a throwback!) with vegetable gardens, group canning, maybe chickens and or goats. I spent an hour on the phone with his girlfriend last night and she's already checked into homeopathic schools in that area to continue her education. Have I mentioned I adore that girl?! Our youngest says he could be persuaded, but I am not counting on anything - this is about DH and me first and foremost.

We have some things planned, will look at a few houses, hike a bit, but mostly just explore and get lost. I've been in touch with realtors and have 2 that understand our needs and vision. I've been corresponding and talking with a woman at the JCC in Asheville and although I am not religious (and DH isn't even Jewish) it's nice to have a welcoming community if we move to a place where we know no one.

So....... after that long winded story.... What would you look for, who would you talk to, how would you begin? It's different to move because of a job transfer or to go where family is but we have no outside influences like that. School districts aren't even an issue except as it might relate to future resale.

Would love to hear your thoughts. And if you know of other areas to consider, by all means share!

Comments (38)