SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gblack_gw

Mission Impossible - stop the weeds

gblack
13 years ago

The goal is simple but seemingly unattainable. I want to put in some raised beds, and not have anything grow between the beds. It's a 100ft x 85ft area. We have high winds, and weeds from your worst nightmare - some even have these hard thorny balls guaranteed to cause pain upon contact.

I need to find some way to kill EVERYTHING without:

1. Spending enough to match the national deficit.

2. Lowering the property value of the house (in theory the are can be used for horses, so it shouldn't be a pain to convert it back to that purpose at some point).

3. Requiring a lot of upkeep.

I just want things dead. Shouldn't be that hard, right?

Current thinking:

1. Rock landscaping - I thought this was perfect at first but then had a Realtor suggest it would probably lower the property value because it would make the area unfit for horses and be difficult to remove. I've also heard the rocks get nasty and are hard to clean.

2. Mulch Landscaping - it disintegrates after a few years - it's going to be ton of work in a bobcat to put this in. I have no intention of doing it again in anything less than 15 years and preferably not then.

3. Salt - washes off and causes pollution. I'm also paranoid it might soak up through the groundcover into the raised beds.

4. Special grass or some other short groundcover - I'm sorry, I lack faith anything can go head to head with my weeds and wipe them out, and some sort of mix that still leaves me having to maintain the mess just doesn't work.

5. Concrete or Asphalt - It's tempting, but not affordable.

6. Poison of some sort spread yearly - I'm paranoid it would leach into my beds from the bottom or harm the fruit trees.

7. Burn them out - it's a lot of fuel, they'll just come back, and it's probably a lot of work.

Ultimately I don't care if it's muddy, I don't care if it's ugly, I just want it dead. No growth of any kind other than I want the trees to survive. The trees are only in one area though, so I'll consider dual pronged solutions.

Thoughts? I curse my inexperience because I figure there has to be a good solution, maybe even one I've already considered, but I just lack the experience to recognize it.

Thanks guys!

Gene

Comments (28)