SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdw72697

Great Kitchen in a 1960s Split? Mission Impossible?

kdw72697
13 years ago

Hi GWers!

Has anyone out there managed to build a highly functional kitchen in the small space typical of 1960s split-level homes?

DH and I are house-hunting, and splits with little or no updating seem to be the primary type of home available in our area and our price range.

Our current house is small (hence the house-hunting), but our kitchen, while dated, functions pretty well. It's a 12 x 11 "U" with only one (wide) entrance/exit, and it's all open to a dining area.

The splits all seem to have about the same square footage, but multiple entrances to complicate things. One home in particular has an 11 X 13 kitchen (comparable to ours) but it has a doorway to the dining room, a doorway to the living room, and a doorway to the stairs. Yikes! The rest that we've seen seem to be similar.

At this point we do not have a specific house in mind, so we're really just looking for very general ideas, inspiration, &/or encouragement. :) I don't want to dismiss what could be a great house for our family just because of a small kitchen. At the same time, I don't want to settle for something tiny and less-than-functional (I'm the Mommy; if I am home and awake, I seem to be in the kitchen!).

Comments (13)