SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

Retro/Vintage 1950s/1960s style kitchens?

Hi All. In gathering ideas for our new kitchen, I'm very interested in being true to the time period of the house (without feeling like I'm living in a time warp). We have a 1963 California style split level, but the feel of the house is very 1950s Father Knows Best (mini wet bar in the den, kitchen tucked away in a 14X16 room off the dining room, original lino under the washer/dryer). The previous owners put in very grainy multi-width oak plank floors in the kitchen/dining/entry in the early 1980s. The floors have definitely seen better days. I would like our new kitchen to feel like it belongs in the house but my favorite kitchen style is more simple turn-of-the century white cabinets/soapstone. Has anyone done a more mid-century retro style kitchen that is NOT mid-century modern? I would love to see some pictures. Thanks!

Comments (49)

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks, evaperconti. Do you have any pictures you could share?

• Related Discussions

facelift for 1960's kitchen

Q

Comments (21)
    Thanks everyone. I was hoping to come up with a plan and get things done before we moved in, but now I think it will be better to live with it as is until I know how the kitchen functions with its current layout. I still feel a little conflicted in that I know there are lots of people who would love these "cool vintage" cabinets. I feel like changing something so old is a little wrong. However, I am not rustic. At all... And it talking about the kitchens character seems a little like calling someone the "funny sister". I am hoping to find some way to dress the cabinets up a bit, molding? The other thing is I like light kitchens and not in love with the idea of black hardware, cabinets, etc. I agree that is a great idea for this kitchen. But do I bend my style to it or try to bend it to me...the rest of the house is probably best described as colonial. I will stew on it a few months, again I appreciate all the ideas! This post was edited by ssnewbie on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 18:48
    ...See More

1960s kitchen cabinet dilemma!

Q

Comments (20)
    Keep the scallop! Or send it to me... Its those goofy little shutters that have got to go.... Have fun with this kitchen. Redefine it as retro - It doesnt have to be "outdated"! Now is the time to pick out some jazzy colors - look up retrorenovation.com for inspiration, or find a vintage china piece for a good color combo. Dont bother replacing or painting counters unless there is damage or stains that bleach cant remove. What is the floor - can that be painted? Trust me, when it comes time to do your complete kitchen re-do you wont have NEARLY so much fun! It'll be stressful and youll want to play it safe, because so much time and MONEY is on the line.
    ...See More

Is my 1950’s kitchen sink original? What can you tell me about it?

Q

Comments (44)
    Thank you for all the comments, I still love hearing from everyone and their opinions. I still am changing my mind everyday about that sink, it’s very useful... as far as everyones comments of it not being big enough (how big are your sinks?!... haha) btw the middle sink isn’t for washing, it is food disposal :) I use the left sink for washing and the right sink for rinsing. I do have some good news I just discovered 10 minutes ago (seriously)...it looks like the upper cabinets are original! Which makes me so happy because they are my favorite! Woohoo,... the doors are newer, I’m guessing to match the newer bottom cabinets. How easy is is it to move the dishwasher over to make room for this sink/or future vintage sink? It bothers me that it’s off center. And since the bottoms aren’t original so I don't mind moving things around. Thank you again to everyone so far !
    ...See More

Looking to renovate and update our 1950s kitchen. Looking for ideas

Q

Comments (12)
    @ Belaria Seriously? Keep the brick? Nah! I'm old enough to remember when this sort of edifice was new and the latest au courant thing in all the home decorating mags. It was a terrible idea then, and is more so now. Think about it. As a cooking area how does it rate? It does not have any "countertop" on either side of the cooktop. Where do you put hot pans? Across the room? How about storage? Where are the pots, pans, condiments, sauces, hot pads, etc -- all the stuff you use in cooking? Since this bomb-shelter was built kitchen design has moved on to arrange kitchens in task groups in which everything needed for a task such as cooking is located in the area where the cooking is done. It would be impossible to do that with the bunker still in place. There is no storage in this "cooking area" to speak of. It violates at least a half dozen of the NKBA's kitchen planning guidelines. I could go on, but I'm getting a headache. Sorry, but the brick really has to go. As to the rest of the kitchen, I agree with herbflavor. Hire a cleaning service to give everything a good scrub. Update the technologies (add electrical, new faucet, sink, range, refrigerator, etc.). Leave the cabinets alone except to load them with the latest pull-outs, swing-outs, drop-outs, fall-outs and organizers of all kinds, maybe replace the tile floor, save scads of money by not re-doing a kitchen that does not need re-doing, take a nice vacation to Miranmar with the money you saved.
    ...See More
  • evaperconti
    16 years ago

As you can see, color and accessories make a big difference. I'd love to get those chevron handles, but the stainless bar pulls work well too.

Here's a shot of the island and coffee bar
    {{gwi:1969844}}

The opposite wall
    {{gwi:1969845}}

Fridge
    {{gwi:1969846}}

Overview of kitchen ( a bit dark, sorry!)
    {{gwi:1969847}}

The living room that is open to the kitchen
    {{gwi:1969848}}

• teachbls
    16 years ago

I love that you are interested in using the period of your home to inspire your kitchen project. I've included a link to Rejuvenation's stuff. They have spectacular options available for whatever period you're interested in...plus, lots of photos from customers' projects.

Also, check out Laura's kitchen on this forum: the_endless_kitchen

Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: a few pix to inspire...

• Fori
    16 years ago

I got some good advice here when I asked the sameish question a year ago or so, but it doesn't seem to be in the google cache.

I have found some of the before kitchens sort of inspiring on this site, but it's best not to admire someone's kitchen too loudly when they're about to rip it out. :)

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I really like the Rejuvenation pictures, although most of their stuff looked more 1920s-1940s to me. It's really hard to picture this place as it was meant to be since the kitchen was done over in cheap cabinets and honey oak plank in the late 1970s/early 1980s. I'm inspired by the marmoleum (I love the checkerboard floors) but I'm not sure I can get away with it where I live -- I haven't seen any marmoleum being used in houses in this area and it might hurt resale -- this is supposed to be our forever house, but one never knows.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Was really hoping to see a few more kitchen ideas. Anyone?

• abmatt
    16 years ago

Eva, is that a Heywood Wakefield (sp) dining set or another of that same style? I almost got my hands on a little HW dinette set with oval table and glass top hutch but the guy who was ready to sell it to didn't tell his mom and she sold it the next day to someone else. Next time, I'm taking a drawer with me while I gather the cash! The HW oval tables are hard to find.

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Ooooh--I think doing a 50's/60's kitchen would be so much fun! Go to google images and search "1950's kitchen." Also do a search with 1960's. Then do "retro kitchen." I found lots of inspiration doing that.

Basic ideas: I would go with either a vintage stove (I have a 1955 O'keefe and Merritt that I adore), or Northstar. Northstar even makes a retro looking microwave now. And of course the Big Chill Fridge...

Cabinets probably slab doors (not shaker style, not inset) in a pastel color.

Counters could probably have been a colorful laminate style. If you want something more durable, check out the great colors offered by Silestone. I was going to do a dark red (matte leather finish) silestone in my current house to simulate the look of linoleum. I ultimately changed to soapstone, but I think the linoleum look would have been cool! The matte finish looks like linoleum, and the shiny surface would give a laminate look. On one of the vintage stove sites, there was a fun 50's kitchen with red appliances, red counter, and checkerboard floor. Though personally, I would go with a more subdued "June Cleaver look."

Marmoleum is just wonderful stuff! I had it in my old kitchen, and it was a selling point.

I'm a firm believer in letting the age/style of the house direct the kitchen. I would love to do a kitchen from that time period (even though your house is early 60's, I might go a teeny bit earlier b/c I really love the 50's stove styles). I'm working on a 1929 kitchen now (though my stove is 1955), and it can be tricky to hide most of the appliances that wouldn't have been present. But for you, you can show em off! That reminds me, Smeg makes great retro style fridges, and they just came out with a retro dishwasher. Oh my goodness, it is just too cool looking! Google it! And Aga now makes a very stylish fridge drawer unit. Love it!!

Can you tell I'm excited for you! If I have any good links, I'll come back and post them, but googling will probably give you hours and hours and hours of fun!

Francy

• evaperconti
    16 years ago

Formica is reproducing Boomerang which is classic 50s, as well as another sort of frenzied linear pattern called Vittern or something close to that.

abmatt, it's not HW...I wish! I got it at a thrift store for $100. I think it was handmade, but I love the vibe. The dining set is actually the IKEA Grimle table paired with their Sixten chairs which I slipcovered in Boomerang Beat in cocoa fabric. I've got a little collection of turquoise 50s serving pieces and am pining for Franciscan in the starburst pattern.

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Ok, click on some of these kitchens for fun fun fun (picture will get bigger, and keep scrolling down b/c there might be more images after all the stove specs)!

:-)

Francy

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro Kitchens

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Francy! Now I know I'm on the right track with my stove choice. I'm deciding between the Aga Legacy 36" and the LaCanche Cluny. The cluny is my favorite for performance/accessories/etc., but price may dictate the Aga.

I've looked at Northstar -- I like their microwave, but's pretty pricy and hard to get in my area.

I'm thinking about a fridge that takes a custom panel -- not retro, but I saw a great looking kitchen where the owners had a custom magnetic blackboard panel made. I really like that. My problem will be getting enough freezer space with a 36" built in fridge.

I like the look of the marmoleum, but I'm concerned that my location really needs something else -- possibly hardwood. Everything around me is over-the-top french country or mediterranean style with corbels here, there and everywhere, and I am planning something much cleaner/simpler.

• Fori
    16 years ago

Frigidaire makes a decent sized stainless-front 30" fridge (standard depth though) with traditional top-freezer that has a distinct retro look. It's called "professional" but of course it isn't. There are a few different models. Looks awful with black handles or dispenser in door, but it has a nice shape and just happens to be cheap. We are considering that for our retro-inspired remodel. Stainless is not too far off from a 50s theme--there were some stainless designs out there! We were considering the paneled integrated Thermadors, but dangit they don't hold enough food at 36" and we can't sacrifice more frontage than that.

We did consider the older ranges because they're gorgeous, but paranoia won out and we will probably get a Bluestar--you can get them in colors and appliances that match painted cabinets are period appropriate. Not perfect, but practical.

We're planning on a stainless counter (cuz I like it and the material isn't totally out of bounds for 50s, although I doubt it was a common counter) and I was seriously considering boomerang Formica for the backsplash until some genius decided to get a stove that would melt it right off the walls....we still might do it. After all, we don't want a standard depth fridge unless we have deep enough counters to accommodate it, which might put the by-the-range Formica out of danger.

And if I later decide I want to go a different direction from kitsch, I can redo the boomerang with something more socially acceptable.

We will probably go with Marmoleum because I like it. I think linoleum was falling out of favor in this period due to the ascendancy of vinyl, but I'm not a purist.

Still planning. It's hard to stick with pure period stuff because so much of the recognizably retro design was in fact horribly ugly. Yet much of it was gorgeous. And the gorgeous stuff doesn't really shout FIFTIES. It's just classy. (Eva's aqua kitchen is lovely. Nobody would call it 'fifties' but it could be!)

• iinsic
    16 years ago

We did a semi-50's diner look with light maple recessed door cabinets, dark laminate counters, metal-laminate edging on the counters (cleaner than the old aluminum edging), stainless sink, brushed stainless hardware, and a variety of modern/retro accessories. Flooring was an Armstrong Urban Settings "Star" variety, which is very neutral but has some funky stuff in it. Our house is a mild contemporary ranch from the 70's that we've updated with some mid century elements, but still feels "current" contemporary. I'd have installed a cork floor instead of the vinyl, but my DW really wanted the vinyl. You also may want to consider a Heartland Metro series range, which I think complements the retro vibe quite nicely. We just didn't want to pay that much for a cooking appliance and bought a Frigidaire dual fuel for about $1300 complete with warming drawer. I've been extremely happy with it, moreso when I realize that I can cook every bit as well on it as on something 2-3X as much money.

If I can scare up some pics I'll post them.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fori, lino was not completely out of favor in the early 1960s, at least in my area. My laundry closet has hideous 70s vinyl, but there is a tear in the vinyl and the original lino flooring is visible underneath. Tannish color with the traditional lino speckles.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

FYI on floors & cabinets from the late 50's/early 60's:

My parents built their all-brick ranch house in 1960 with those full-wall picture windows in the LR, DR, & Kitchen...and they're still in it!

They still have the original Formica countertop and cabinets (but no longer turquoise, they're now white). The counter is a light tan with dark brown speckles and trim along the edge in a metal "runner". [The cabinets were hand-made by my father and his father....the 2 of them actually built the majority of the house.]

When they built it, they put in hardwood floors in the DR, LR, and their bedroom...the rest of the house (bathroom, 2 bedrooms, hall, kitchen, linen closet) had linoleum floors. The two bedrooms still have the original linoleum.

And as a typical sign of the times...they built a fallout shelter in the basement with a crank-air filtration system, bunks, and cistern for water (and stored all the overflow food down there "just in case"). So if you really want your house to be true to the period, you need a fallout shelter! My parents have since converted it to a pantry.

• dianalo
    16 years ago

Hey,
    I have a few thoughts to add:

I would not worry about doing what "everyone else" is doing with regards to resale. If you do like everyone else, your house will not be special and in a few years, will look dated to the year you did it. I am a long time real estate agent and can usually tell you within a year or 2 when a kitchen or bathroom was done. If your house is unique (hopefully, in a good way) there will be more reason to buys yours over another's. Of course, you want the bones to be good and to be able to be updated down the road without too much hassle. For example, if you do a formica counter with chrome banding, that can be swapped out later by a new owner if they don't love it. If you have a more neutral slab front cabinet style, then that can be always be updated with different hardware choices.

Speaking of hardware, I think if you use vintage knobs and pulls, it is one of the easiest and cheapest way to go retro. I got all my hardware from ebay and it will really add some character. I am going for a 40's vibe for my new kitchen and think those are some of the most important materials.

I love the website www.reprodepot.com for period fabrics. You can really add a lot of punch with the right pattern, even if it is only for potholders or a curtain.

I love the idea of linoleum and you can try Marmorette by Armstrong or Marmoleum by Forbo for some real selection.

If you use a retro look toaster and canister set, that can also give you the vibe without them being permanent fixtures.

I am using a lot of chrome accents and not going for mid-century modern. I am going for the 40's version of modern which to me is clean lines and keeping it simple.

Your clock will be a major focal point if you get the right one. Ebay is awesome for vintage clocks and lighting too.

I think you can have a lot of fun if you go with your vision and your kitchen will end up more timeless because you are not using all the predictable trends.

Good luck and please post pix!

• eandhl
    16 years ago

My inlaws built a house early to mid 50's. Kit has natural, beaded plank and batton inset pine cabs. Appliances are/were black refrig and SS for cooktop & oven. Copper hood, Pink speckled counters, big double white farm front sink and stainless steel tile backsplash. Everything is still orig but the counters need to be replaced. The SS tiles look like new and the copper hood, farm sink and cabs look great. A friend bought the house so we still see it freq.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eandhl, did your parents have a separate cooktop and ovens? Or was it a range? I loved my separate cooktop and ovens in my last house, but was concerned that a range would give a more timeless feel. I am debating between cooktop & ovens or a shiny black range (Aga Legacy or LaCanche Cluny are my two favorites -- very dependent upon the cost of the rest of the project). I have also seen a lot of 4X4 tiled countertops in period kitchens. I personally like the idea of tiled countertops along the perimeter workspaces (next to cooking/cleanup areas) since ceramic glazed tiles are so easy to clean and completely stain/heat resistent. My only problem with the tile look would be grout lines. That said, I am in lurve with soapstone.

What are everyone's opinions about having a different flooring in the kitchen than the dining room if we open up the wall between the two rooms? I wouldn't want the marmoleum to extend beyond the kitchen area since the hardwood in the rest of the house is still in good condition (it just didn't do well near the giant slider to the backyard in the kitchen).

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eandhl, did your parents have a separate cooktop and ovens? Or was it a range? I loved my separate cooktop and ovens in my last house, but was concerned that a range would give a more timeless feel. I am debating between cooktop & ovens or a shiny black range (Aga Legacy or LaCanche Cluny are my two favorites -- very dependent upon the cost of the rest of the project). I have also seen a lot of 4X4 tiled countertops in period kitchens. I personally like the idea of tiled countertops along the perimeter workspaces (next to cooking/cleanup areas) since ceramic glazed tiles are so easy to clean and completely stain/heat resistent. My only problem with the tile look would be grout lines. That said, I am in lurve with soapstone.

dianalo, thanks for the input. I am already planning many of the suggestions you have made (although I love the fabric website -- not sure how to fit that it just yet, but I'll think of something -- maybe some cafe curtains, those were popular at the time). I've been searching for vintage food tins on ebay to add to my collection (I currently have vintage Saltines and Crayola tins). Was thinking about doing an open shelving bookcase for cookbooks and interspersing the tins. The clock is a great idea, too. A Bakelite would look fantastic. Also, if anyone knows where we can find a retro, hang on the wall rotary-look phone, I would love that, too!

What are everyone's opinions about having a different flooring in the kitchen than the dining room if we open up the wall between the two rooms? I wouldn't want the marmoleum to extend beyond the kitchen area since the hardwood in the rest of the house is still in good condition (it just didn't do well near the giant slider to the backyard in the kitchen).

• Fori
    16 years ago

My '55 kitchen originally had separate cooktop and wall ovens. Go for it. And no reason not to do the hardwood to match. No, wood wasn't that common for kitchens, but it was common in other rooms so you will be acceptably close to authentic.

There are several types of non-atomic 50s looks...the dreaded western style, as inspired by TV cowboy shows, can look great if done well. Knotty pine cabinets and curly wood valances are where you'd start. Add chuckwagon wallpaper and it's perfect.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, fori. Although I probably won't go the chuckwagon route, I was thinking of a natural wood island.

• orangedaisy52
    16 years ago

I have a 1958 kitchen that I adore. I replaced the old asphalt tile with an off black rubber tile with square profile studs...looks fantastic, and I have boomerang countertops that I'd like to eventually replace with vetrazzo, that recycled glass and concrete counter material. I'm in the midst of replacing the old wall oven with two new 24 inch ovens.

My cabinets are Philippine Mahogany which is not easily available now...I would use carbonized bamboo if I had to put in new cabinets. I love the flow and openness of my 50's kitchen. I guess its more toward midcentury modern which is all about elegance in form and comfort rather than the more rigid geometric international/bauhaus modern style.

Here is a link that might be useful: View from the kitchen table

• orangedaisy52
    16 years ago

another photo here...

Here is a link that might be useful: From the kitchen desk

• orangedaisy52
    16 years ago

and the last one

Here is a link that might be useful: Wide view

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

That is one *funky cool* house, orangedaisy! If I'd been househunting and saw that kitchen I'd sit down that moment and write an offer :). Cabinets that don't go all the way up in that era? WHO designed that home--do you know? What's the history of it? Any others like it in the area or is it a "house of someone's dreams" kind of home?

• orangedaisy52
    16 years ago

That's pretty much what I did...despite the fact that the kitchen floor was covered in orange carpet tile and the purple wall was brilliant tangerine orange. The house was actually designed and built by the previous owner who recently passed away at 86. The neighbor's house was also designed by him...but its a little more traditional, i.e. cabinets mounted on walls etc.

I love my house...to me its a fabulous kitchen even if its not new. Its really just a reasonably priced house in central Indiana :-)

I'm looking forward to seeing the 50's kitchen the OP comes up with!

Anne

• holligator
    16 years ago

The flooring I remember best from the 1950s and 60s is terrazzo. Seems like everyone I knew had it then.

Here is a link that might be useful: terrazzo

• lara_jane
    16 years ago

One good way to get some fab ideas is to look for vintage ads (I've seen loads for sale on eBay, but you could just save the images to a file on your computer -- probably cheating, I know!)... search for ads for appliances, linoleum flooring, fixtures, and accessories.

Speaking of accessories, don't forget the Cosco step-stools and rolling carts! Every retro kitchen should have them!

• lara_jane
    16 years ago

Here a few (hopefully!) inspirational photos.

This first kitchen has the cabinets you mentioned in your first post. I think with soapstone counters it would look decidedly more "bungalow era" but the banded laminate sets it over the edge toward midcentury. It would look even cooler with a multicolored linoleum floor!

• lara_jane
    16 years ago

Although I certainly prefer 50s ranges, the stainless looks good in these next two kitchens.

The floor in this one is too rad for words.

• lara_jane
    16 years ago

This one has a mix of soapstone and banded laminate counters. The slab doors with that particular hardware are exactly like the ones in my grandma's 1950s kitchen (except hers are white!). Looks like linoleum for this floor, too.

• eandhl
    16 years ago

sarschlos, my in laws had a SS cooktop and built in oven at counter height for unloading/loading. A few yrs back the oven was replaced, also refrig and floor. Everything else orig. Only thing in my opinion that needs to be redone now are the counters and the sink either has to be replaced or resurfaced. As you can imagine they are showing their age. My friend plans to have cabs refurbished, new counter and floor in the not to far future.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are awesome! I thought this thread was dead, but here it is back on the first page and with pictures!

larzebub, I don't know which of those kitchens I love more. Thanks so much for the inspiration! Those really make me rethink my plan. I was thinking of little to no uppers and a more unfitted style, but those kitchens are all very fitted and have a fabulous warm kitsch facture. I love the rounded open shelves in that last one. I am really leaning toward marmoleum for the floors. It looks like I need to keep a space in my kitchen for a kitchen table instead of a bar, though. Although, wouldn't a bar height counter with some soda fountain stools be fab?! :-)

I'm surprised how much I like the look of the banded lino counters. Maybe a small kitchen table/chairs set like that.

When I was a kid we had a kitchen table with a metal/porcelain top. Wish I had that table now!

Here is a link that might be useful: retro furniture

• lara_jane
    16 years ago

Yay! Glad I could help!

I think I favor the last (yellow) kitchen the most out of those, just because it reminds me so much of Grandma's, and that's the look (decor, accessories) I've gone for throughout my entire house. Plus that color scheme makes me so happy!

Now that I look more closely, I'm guessing those aren't soapstone counters on the range side.

Good luck with your kitchen, and keep us updated! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Lara

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My current kitchen has those slab doors in white, and if it weren't for the very poor layout (6" landing space next to the cooktop; wall ovens open into backyard doorway; refrigerator hole is too small for my refrigerator and doesn't have plumbing for my icemaker; back of peninsula is the only thing visible from the entry to the kitchen; kitchen is cut off from entire house; counters are taken up almost entirely by appliances -- micro, toaster oven, stand mixer), I would just switch out the cooktop and ovens, replace the counters and backsplash, repaint and put on new hardware, flooring and lighting and call it a day. The slab cabinets I currently have are pretty much a vintage frameless style and are very easy to get things in and out. If I weren't trying to turn the kitchen into a multi-user space and my refrigerator wasn't currently standing in the spot where the kitchen table is supposed to go, I would have no complaints about the work triangle (except that my paper towels are currently stored in my glass china cabinet where the coat/org closet used to be).

Here's what I have now (slab front 1960s kitchen with 1980s hardware, counters, backsplash). Having a brutal time figuring out a layout I really love. I'm torn between an island, a peninsula, or a kitchen table. The island seems to give me the most function, but the least vintage appeal. The peninsula (if I remove the wall between the DR and kitchen) would give me the most vintage appeal, but less work space/storage and would eliminate the separate prep sink (I'm not opposed to this -- I find it a bit strange that I'm currently convinced I "need" a prep sink when I have NEVER had one in my life). Haven't yet found a new layout that works with the kitchen table given the small size of the kitchen.

Anyone else have any picture they love?

Here is a link that might be useful: Current Kitchen

• elizgonz
    16 years ago

I'm sorry that I missed this thread the first time around. I'm also working on a gentle makeover of my 50's kitchen. Here are a couple of links with photos that are pretty impressive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mod Kitchen Before and After

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

elizgonz, did you replace the upper cabs or just the doors? Very nice gentle makeover btw. I LOVE the blue tile bathroom. The previous owners of my house took out the original tiles in the bathrooms and put down that 1980s plastic fake marble stuff. Luckily, they left the original curved apron front sinks! Yay! I'm hoping to clean up and reuse those fab sinks when I get around to fixing the bathroom. And I'm putting tile back in. :-)

• elizgonz
    16 years ago

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it was my house, just one that I found on the web. I WISH those photos were of my house. Mine is not nearly as cool.

I haven't begun my project yet, but will in the next week or two. All I am doing is painting my existing cabinets, changing hardware, replacing the marble-look laminate countertops with white Silestone, the sink with an undermount cast iron, putting in a cool faucet, and putting in a 1-inch tile backsplash. I'm also replacing the ugly vinyl floor with linoleum.

Here is another link that I tried to post earlier, but was unable to. You really should read peruse this entire blog when you have time, if you haven't already.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro Renovation Blog - Pam's Kitchen

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

We are just finishing up a retro style kitchen remodel in our 20's home. Everything is basically 50's -late 60's but done in a late 60's style (color). I haven't taken photos as we are waiting for counters.

Here's my stove: http://www.antiquevintageappliances.com/stove57.html

Here's my fridge! http://www.antiquevintageappliances.com/refrigerator22.html

We have the same table as Pam, but I want to put magenta or orange cushions on them. They need to be completely restored also, which is another challenge in itself.

I love all of these retro kitchens!! My whole home is DIY "retro" as the inside was basically blown out in the 70's and cheaply slapped back together, waiting for the day it could have some love!!

girlgroupgirl

• DYH
    16 years ago

If GGG hadn't chimed in here, I was going to say go find her!

Born in the 50's and growing up in the 60's, I have to say that linoleum floors and banded linoleum counters like in larzbub's inspiration photos are accurate! I think we had those exact cabinets as pictured in the yellow/green, only we had white.

This is a fun thread! I so covet GGG's appliances!

Cameron

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Hi Won:
    Our floor is Azrock. The kitchen is solid orange, the basement was done in Chive green and Wheat (a golden yellow beige). We did Azrock in the upstairs bathroom, and I love the stuff, but I'd switch it out for real tile next time in the bathroom now that I found someone who can make sure real tile won't crack. I love the look of Azrock! I could not find these colors in any other brand, or any other material that was affordable!

GGG

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

Evaperconti, I love your wall color. Can you share what it is?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

GGG, I just realized your appliances are from the store in Tucson. Is that where you are (I'm from there, but living in So. Cal. these days).

• vintagedixie
    16 years ago

Oh ! MY then you would love to have my kitchen , I started retroing it the minute the landlord told me to go for it ,and then when she told me the age of the house , I loved it even more , it's a 1920's Sears Craftsman home ,I love the the huge cabnets not, alot of space but I like it , it's still has the sink comeing out of the wall and of course the same windows with the weight in side, so far I stubled on a 1945 Gafflers and Staller stove , pressure wash it and got all the grills and stuff cleaned and the only thing I haven't gotten to yet is finding a clock for it , i've been all over the antique store's lucky me I live in Orange County and the orange circle is just brimming with retro items, on the mirowave I simply bought a red one from Target like 60 bucks and a red coffee pot, if you have any good wills in your area hit them up , cause alot of estate things go there , I've painted my kitchen red and yellow , took the rather large drawers and took some paint remover , and some elbow grease and a paint gun which just melts the paint off , painted them red and found some little rooster decals that I put on , went to the 99 store and food some checkered red and white contact paper and put them in the drawer some plactic deviders to . Because I'm into both the retro, feista and the older pyrex , you know the different colored one with the little lids, i found scores of them in the goodwill nd also the different color pyrex bowl set , for a grand total of five bucks ,it's got a door to that leads to the laundry room , so i took out the old glass and put some screen wear the glass was and painted the door red and then found some red and white checked curtains and it looks super , even still has those old looks with the knob to open the door , I'm still trying to find the perfect frigerator , I saw one on one ad and fell in love it's a kelvanator foodarama (SP). Know i have the Idea to pull up the linolim (SP) and see what he wood looks like, maybe sand it and do the red and white checker board my self or be lazy and find the red and white checker board myself , as for the kitchen counters I hate them the tile , but i want to go for the old soda pop look , red linolem , so far. as for the arctiure of the the house it's soild and and i love the wood detailing so i'm just going to get out my magic eraser and clean , the walls do need paint has a few cracks bit i figure to paint the walls a camel color so the cracks will give off a shadow , if you go to the 99 cent store you with find alot of red if that's your color and the good will you would be amazed , I found and old ceder wood cabnits that hold plates and glasses and I store my pyrex and feista wear in there , also at the good will I found not one but 9 chrome toaster with the cloth cord for 99 cents apiece still in the box to took them home shined up a little ,put them up on ebay for 50;00 a piece and all sold except the one I kept and still use , I don't know if alot of folks go to the good will but you can find lots of stuff , I'm fixin to paint my 1945 stove red , like i said i live in what i call antique town , I just got the universal knobs to the stove , because it has the stove on one side and the broiler on the other and has the griddle in the middle , I guess the floors are pretty stonge cause that thing took 4 good sized men to get in my kitchen oh and of course , i found some old cambells soup and vegatable ad that came out of the time life magazines painted some black frames and put them on the wall above the stove , I will have to take a picture although not all toghether yet I still love my kithen even if it is in the works. Take care

• evaperconti
    16 years ago

Hapiladi, thanks for the compliment! It's Behr's Balmy Skies. It's the perfect aqua, not too blue and not too green. Our adjoining laundry room is painted that fabulous 50s pink and it works perfectly with the aqua.

• vintagedixie
    16 years ago

sorry for the missspelling i type rather fast and sometimes i don't catch the errors, the one picture with the yellow cabinet top best describes what I want to put on my counter tops instead of yuky white tile, and dude I sooooooo in love with the pink bathroom , althought i painted mine a burgandy color, and they just redid the tile in the bath and I hate it , if I could paint over it , wouldn't do it but it's and idea I would in a second all the pictures gave me Idea's , still want the fridge though , found a few and 5 g is a little outta my leage, maybe i'll just wait and see what shows up on craigslist, that someone's selling of giving away.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

While I was out doing my last minute XMas shopping, I went to visit an appliance showroom that had the Aga Legacy and the Bertazzoni, and I am in love, love, love with the Aga Legacy "vintage white" with the pretty toe kick, straight handles and white enamel. It looks like an old O'Keefe and Merrit, only with a wok burner and continuous reigniting burners. LOL.

Then I stopped by a kitchen design showroom that had Woodmode and Brookhaven cabinets on display, and now I'm totally confused! I was all set on painted, inset cabs until I saw the burl eye maple slab front from Woodmode. Wowww. They had the maple cabs with these fun rounded light bars and mouldings and a dark blue quartz counter. Gorgeous.

Back down to earth, though -- I spoke to the KD at that design showroom and she estimated based on my hand-drawn layout $45,000 for cabs alone, plus $30,000 (min) for labor . That doesn't even cover appliances, lighting, sinks, faucets, paint, floor, windows and door .... Yikes. I still have the rest of the house to do, too. Took a detour to Ikea to see if I might like those (having heard such good things about them) but other than the blumotion and anti-slam, was not impressed. Probably shouldn't have gone after looking at the burl eye maple. Sigh.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bumping this thread since it has lots of cool vintage ideas and pics for others.