SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Mission Accomplished: Panama (Warning: Photo-Heavy Post!)

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We've been back from our Panama medical mission trip for a few days, and I wanted to share some pictures and thoughts for those who are interested (as many of you were so kind and generous with your donations to this endeavor). I'm still mentally and emotionally processing the whole thing, so please forgive me if this seems a bit disjointed. Mostly, I just wanted to share with you the beautiful faces of those we had the privilege to serve.

First of all, Panama is a stunning country with grand vistas. Her people are generally materially poor, but (at least speaking for those we were around) are rich beyond measure in relationship. Most of our time was spent in the remote village of El Guabal, about 5-1/2 hours west of Panama City. To reach the clinic, we had to go up a mountain road with tight switchbacks, which induced carsickness in several of us (including me). After reaching the clinic one day early on, falling out the door of the van and hurling up my breakfast, I took to Dramamine and this lovely get-up to avoid inhaling bus fumes and burning tire rubber. (Our missionary thereafter dubbed the van "The Vomit Comet", which was quite apt.)

Once those issues were settled, the ride up and down the mountain was thoroughly enjoyable. The scenery was stunning. Birds of paradise and wild orchids grew alongside the road, and I find myself missing the daily commute!

I don't have a final count as to how many patients we treated, but it was more than 300. That word spreads among the indigenous community without the benefit of cell phone or other modern means amazes me, and proves that humans aren't as dependent on technology as we have come to believe ourselves to be. We had 3 doctors (an internist, an OB/Gyn, and a pediatrician), as well as nurses, nursing students, med students, and your garden-variety volunteers such as DH and myself. The doctors were just wonderful, and I remain touched by how each of them gave up time in their busy practices to go and treat those who otherwise have no health care whatsoever. Just a little backstory: The only previous healthcare provider in this area were government workers who treated the indigenous people as though they were second-class citizens. Naturally, this did not inspire the people to attend the clinic, and caused them to distrust outsiders even more than they already did. When our missionaries began the clinic in this area about 7 years ago, they were initially met with distrust and resistance, but once they proved themselves in friendship, the locals slowly came to trust - and to come to the clinic. Now, since many of the volunteers go back more than once annually, relationships have been established and people delight in seeing one another. It's genuine, and it's beautiful. The people trust us. There's a lot of laughter in the air.

This was our daily view from the clinic's waiting area.

Every patient was treated for chronic cough. They cook inside their huts over open flame, and all of them have respiratory issues from smoke inhalation. There has been a push in this area to build better stoves for the people, but so far it's been a failure. They revert to methods they have known since time immemorial, so studies are still being made as to how to help (if we even can). All are treated for parasites. Many are treated for fungus, especially foot fungus since their shoes (if they wear them) never dry in this rainy environment. One 13-week old infant was brought in with probable pneumonia, in pretty dire distress. Our pediatrician treated the child for two days in a row and his little body responded beautifully. We hope and pray that he continues to heal and to thrive, but we can only do so much. That's part of the pain in all of this.

One man came in with active TB, and the internist has advised all of us to go get tested. Ugh.

This is Dr. S. She is Puerto Rican and brimming with life. She had so many funny stories that kept us all in stitches, but she was also very serious about treating as many people per day as possible. Nobody was ever turned away and asked to come back tomorrow.

Here she pays a house call to a gentleman who is 106 years old. Yep - 106 years old. He's in amazing condition for that age, and attributes his longevity to only eating the food that he grows himself.

This is Dr. K paying a house call to an elderly woman. The woman has dressed in her very finest for the occasion.

This is Dr. M. What a delight it was to have a pediatrician who would engage in water gun "war" with the little ones! Those kiddos absolutely loved the play time.

This family of women and children walked for four days to reach the clinic. Once there, they waited quietly and patiently until each one was seen, and then they had that long walk back home. I cannot fathom that kind of life, but intend to remember these faces the next time I feel I've been "inconvenienced."

The colorful dresses are the traditional wear of the Ngobe-Bugle Indians. They're just beautiful. Few who wear these dresses speak Spanish, but retain their indigenous language which has sort of a guttural, raspy sound to it. The adults generally do not smile for the camera, having never been conditioned to do so.

To be continued ...

Comments (44)