SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Flying With Just a Carry-On . . . REALLY Possible???

lynninnewmexico
11 years ago

I've just returned late last night from a long weekend visiting DD at college in Oklahoma and now need to quickly plan and pack for a 6-day trip to Michigan to attend my little sister's wedding. I HATE trying to pack for trips at this time of year as the weather can be so unpredictable!

For example, it was supposed to be unseasonably warm in Oklahoma and so I packed shorts, capris and sandals in Autumn colors. It rained almost non-stop the entire 4 days and I ended up having to go shopping for a few things more appropriate for the weather!

With this trip to Michigan on Thursday morning, I was really hoping to pack it all in one carry-on and a BIG purse so that I could bypass the sloooow baggage pick-up area at Detroit Metro and get through traffic before rush hour starts there. But this past weekend's packing fiasco has me doubting my ability to pull it off.

I need ideas if you have any for me, but I do have to first say that I am NOT a travel newbie. We travel a lot. What I am, though, is totally NOT used to traveling light (LOL)!

I plan to wear my travel outfit coming and going: khaki slacks, black knit shirt, (new as of 3 days ago, gorgeous) thin, black indoor outdoor vest, closed-toed flats and carry a black & tan all-weather coat. I have a very large black leather purse I can stuff things into, but don't want to end up looking like a bag lady with it over-stuffed. I also need to carry my (thankfully) very thin laptop in it. I'm staying with another sister who lives nearby so I can wash and re-wear most anything I bring.

My dress for the wedding is a sleeveless black dressy shift-type dress and I need to wear some kind of jacket or dressy sweater with it. The wedding is in a church, but the reception is in a large event tent on their property, next to their very large pond/small lake. It's a dressy-but-semi-outdoors event. I think dressy flat shoes are called for from the sounds of it, which is perfect since I hate heels. The rest of my time will be spent with my sisters helping Little Sis any way we can getting ready for her wedding and visiting with my family there. No other dressy events to bring clothes for.

I would LOVE to hear from you all on how (if???)I can pull off this trip with only a carry-on and not end up with inadequate clothes . . . again.

Thanks so much for any suggestions and ideas!

Lynn

Comments (44)