SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anntique_gw

Burglaries- freaked out!

anntique
13 years ago

A few days ago a neighbor told me about a string of burglaries in our neighborhood. (More than 50 in the surrounding towns during the past month, and it seems he is now focused in my immediate neighborhood. We live on fairly large lots, we do not have street lights, and we are surrounded by woods. The person allegedly breaks-in, looks for purses, cash and valuables and then just flees into the woods.

According to the police, a man is breaking 3-4 homes per night while the occupants are sleeping. Burglar alarms do not deter him. I've been hearing helicopters over the house and very nearby for the past few nights. I have all the outside lights on, leave some indoor lights and the TV on, and have locked everything. I find myself unable to sleep, so maybe I'm now just to tired and overly jumpy.

Any ideas on what I should do in the event that he makes his way into my house at night? I'm very jumpy. My son is a highly skilled marksman, but the thought of that terrifies me.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks.

Comments (44)

• maire_cate
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

First check with your local police department. Many times they'll offer suggestions that are pertinent to your home and neighborhood. But there are some other simple, logical steps. Keep your cell phone charged and in your pocket during the day and next to your bed at night. Leaving lights on is helpful. If you have shrubs around the foundation of your home are they trimmed so that it's difficult for someone to hide behind them and look into your home?

You mentioned that your son is a marksman. In most states you can't shoot someone unless your life is in danger.

My insurance agent sent me this link and I found it to be very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home burglary

• suero
    13 years ago

Here's what my local police recommend:
    Residents are urged to ensure their cars are locked while unattended and that no personal items of value are left inside or in plain view. In addition, make sure doors and windows are closed and locked at home; this includes garage doors. When returning home, try not to leave purses, wallets or keys near an entryway. Promote safety by using the exterior lights on your home as well. If you notice suspicious persons or activity, call the non-emergency police number.

How many decorating suggestions call for a place near the entryway to dump your keys? Think again about that. It can make it easier for a burglar to smash a window and enter your home.

• Related Discussions

Freaking out - Exposure to Asbestos?

Q

Comments (120)
    Seabornman, What was your experience, was it from an attic? Does it come granular and puffed? A question I have is the degree to which vermiculite is inherently dusty/friable, or is it like 9 inch floor squares, with asbestos locked into a matrix. I learned a couple years ago that some popcorn ceiling material was made with vermiculite. Because of that, I had to retest my ceilings, which did not come back hot. I would recommend to KZ for piece of mind, to speak with an Asbestos testing lab and either have them come out to collect a sample, and test it stringently.
    ...See More

Am I crazy to get the whole house LVP and no carpet? I'm freaking out.

Q

Comments (52)
    @Chessie The irony is that we actually don't even take baths! The default option was a built-in bathtub surrounded by a rectangular tiled edge, and I knew we'd be bonking our knees and calves into the corners every time we walked into our closets. Similar to this one: So we upgraded to a freestanding just so we could avoid the bruises! Though looking at it now that it's installed, it kind of makes me want to take a bath after all.
    ...See More

mineral spirits used on new UV lacquer floor- freaking out!

Q

Comments (3)
    "the finish can get discolored and an adhesive remover should be used" A cured urethane finish will not be discolored by using mineral spirits to clean off glue now or tar or oil based paint in the future. A manufacturer will generally tell you to only use a specific product to avoid having people use other things that might be harmful like Goof Off, Goo Gone, lacquer thinner, xylene, toluene, etc. Mineral spirits isn't a "hot" solvent and should not affect a UV urethane cured finish. "Are mineral spirits a standard chemical used on new flooring!??" Yes!!!!!!!!!!! Without even asking? YES.
    ...See More

Freaking out - new home - High voltage and gas in front of house

Q

Comments (12)
    I'd prefer any day to have underground hydro (electrical) than swinging wires in the wind. Clearing Toronto area hydro lines, ice storm 2013. CITY-TV Our approved build has secondary lines barely 12 feet in the air entangled and overhung by loads of overgrown brush from the p.o. During the last vicious ice storm, power was out for two weeks in that neighbourhood. And though I'd think nothing of chainsawing the brush in the open, I'm resorting to a high-priced pro for the job.
    ...See More
  • anntique
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your response maire cate. I realize that in my exhausted, frustrated state I may have left a mis-impression. Just to be clear, my son would NEVER EVER shoot unless he KNEW his life was in danger, and it was an absolute last resort. He is extremely responsible and knowledgeable about such things.

The shrubs are trimmed back around the foundation, deadbolts are installed on all doors, and I've taken most, if not all of the usual precautions. It is the brazen nature of this guy that has me on edge. He is specifically looking for houses that are occupied, so the usual rules about making a house look occupied don't apply.

Has anyone ever experienced a burglary while you were home? What did you do? If not, what would you do if you were home and this happened? Pretend to be asleep? Run out the door? I just don't know....

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Anntique:
    I analyzed crime for a major police department, and what you describe is very rare. Burglars generally do not want to confront the home residents. That's why the majority of residential burglaries occur during the day when no one is home. We had one series of burglaries similar to those you describe occurring in a high-end neighborhood, at night, primary target being purses and cash, in and out quickly. Purses aren't found if the owner isn't home, therefore the suspect would break in after he knew the residents were in bed. He may be desperate for money for drugs, and could resort to violence if confronted. He also probably lives nearby. Keep your cell phone close, and, if you don't already have a four-legged burglar alarm, borrow one. Barking dogs are the greatest deterrent. Home burglaries are always tragic; they leave owners feeling as if they aren't safe anywhere. I hope your local police quickly arrest this person(s).
    Dee

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

What dee said -- can you borrow a barky dog? We lived in a fairly sketchy neighborhood for two years with a Border Collie mix and an Akita mix. We never had a problem. We sold the house and within 30 days the new cute young couple had been burgled -- while she was home and in the shower! Barky dogs are worth their weight in gold for two reasons: (1) most criminals are afraid of being bitten and (2) the dogs will wake up the homeowners (burglars prefer you to remain asleep).

Do you want to borrow my barky frisbee hound? He looks fierce when pressed. I don't mean to make light of it, and I'm sure you're taking all the right precautions. You can also keep your car keys close and set off the panic alarm if necessary. Just remain safe and aware.

• User
    13 years ago

We had it happen when I was in the yard, around the corner from the back door. The police told us 1)never to keep your jewelry near your clothes. It's the first, most obvious place that a burglar will look; 2)don't keep your purse near the door or with your clothing/in closets. 3)don't store blank checks/credit cards in a desk; 4)keep less frequently used credit cards somewhere other than a purse/desk.

basically, mix it up. Don't store things in the most convenient for you and most logical places. And, then, don't forget where you put them:)

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

He is specifically looking for houses that are occupied. That struck me as so strange. Have they mostly found homes he's entered were occupied, and he obviously skipped unoccupied houses?

I had a rental broken into, 3 times over as many months. A detective that was assigned (it was a ring of kids) told me as far as deterrents #1 is have a dog. If you don't have a dog, fake it. Leave a big water bowl and large leash (make it look used, not shiny new) outside where it's easily seen, such as by a door or on a deck. Put up 'Beware of' signs. Dog house somewhere if feasible. He said if there's even a hint a dog is around thieves will skip that house for a non-dog occupied, far easier for them. #2 is use motion lights. They're effective in multiple ways. As an alert for homeowner, element of surprise to thief, and officers on nightly patrol who see lights on or come on that typically are off will check on it. He also personally advocated a firearm for protection.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Last year, there were a string of arsons in my small city that resulted in the formation of pretty serious community watches. We were all freaked out for a couple weeks before they caught the guy. Lately, there had been a string of burglaries in a town across the river. When those communities became more aware and got active in prevention, the break-ins gravitated over here to my town. Seems to me there is safety in numbers.

• anntique
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tips and insight.

I heard the helicopters again last night, but was able to get some sleep anyway. That is progress.

Deeinohio, you must have been very, very good at your job, that is exactly what is happening. He wants to come in after the residents are asleep so that he can get the cash and purses, and grabs other personal property while he is there. It is known that he recently stole two guns so that might up the ante a bit. He'd be so disappointed if he got my purse. I rarely carry cash.

I will move the unused credit cards from their usual hiding spot, good tip, and I like the idea of putting an old dog bowl and leash outside. I wish I could adopt a dog, but it is a long term committment, and we've been debating the issue for months. We love dogs, but we are getting older and have to look at our future plans and whether a dog will fit in our lifestyle 10 or more years from now. It's been a tough call, so a dog bowl and leash is a great start! Wish I could borrow your frisbee hound Jakabedy!

Thanks for all the good tips. I know they will help many people in the same situation. It's a shame we have to think about safety in our own homes. I know many people must live this way on a regular basis, so I'm not complaining. I'm very fortunate to have lived in a bubble of safety for a long time, and I know this will be over and things will return to normal. Sadly, I know this is not the case for everyone, and I wish it could be.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

One more thing: Most women keep their purses in the bedroom with them, and most burglars know this. (I never understood that because I always left mine in the car). If I were you, I would keep a dummy purse, with some cash, but no credit cards, OUTSIDE the bedroom, in a more obvious place, but not near a window, so if, God forbid, your home is burglarized while you're home, the suspect will easily find what he wants and leave, without you risking him trying to enter your bedroom, which, of course, you will have locked. And, if your police department is patrolling in helicopters, I can almost guarantee you they will catch the burglar. They are devoting a great deal of resources to this series.
    Dee

• lkplatow
    13 years ago

anntique -- have you thought about adopting an older dog? There are many "middle-aged" dogs in shelters who would love to have a home. You'd get short term protection and a companion for the next few years and the dog would get someone who loved and cared for him to live out the rest of his days with.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

I like dee's idea of the decoy purse. And I wan't joking about lending you my dog. If you're anywhere near central Alabama, I'll be glad to bring him and his pillow by. However, he requires nightly head and belly scratching.

• sweeby
    13 years ago

I was just going to suggest the same as Dee --

If no purse or valuables are easily visible from the outside, then the only way the burglar is going to steal your purse is if he's already broken into your house. So encourage him to grab it and get out. Leave the 'dummy' bag where it's easy for him to find; hide the 'real' thing.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Adopt an older dog-there are lots of 4, 5, 6 year-old dogs that would love to have a "forever" home and will be totally loyal to whomever goves them one!

• anntique
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like the idea of an older dog. I'll consider that as a real possibility. Great idea on the dummy purse. It is all ready to go with old makeup, wallet and a bit of cash.

Jakabedy, If I was anywhere near central Alabama I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat! A sweet natured frisbee catcher would be a terrific loaner dog! He'd get lots of head and belly scratches, I promise!

Thanks for all the good advice.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I am a little disturbed by the idea of a dog as protector. Maybe because I wouldn't want anything to ever happen to my two babies...and I would protect them before letting them protect me.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Bumblebeez:
    The barking protects you, not the dog. The burglar just picks another target without risking an attacking dog to go along with the barking. My two Aussies would wag their friendly little rumps off if someone entered the house, but, believe me, they would also bark their heads off if someone tried.
    Dee

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Oh jeeezzz...I hope there's results soon for your neighborhood!

Yeah, leaving dog-toys scattered around, a "fur-covered" bed on the stoop, etc....all good ideas.
    Occasionally slop some water outside the bowl, so it looks like a dog just drank too.
    Motion-detector lights, random-time light sensor switches for interior lamps work too.

Faron

• anntique
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumblebeez, looks like we are all dog lovers here. Your concern is understandable, but I never thought anyone meant to use the dogs as protection. According to some of the email traffic among neighbors the police are recommending "yappy" dogs as deterrant/alarms.

Not sure a dog would really help though, but certainly couldn't hurt. I heard in one case the burglar removed the dog's collar so that the "jingle" would not be heard. Other dogs have slept through the burglary. I'm not sure how this is the case. My labs (now gone) would have barked their heads off, but I'd never have thought that they'd protect me. They were family, I'd protect them too to the best of my ability. No doubt, though, they would have alerted me to something amiss.

• User
    13 years ago

Some people keep a can of wasp spray by their beds and doors because it can deliver a concentrated spray from a distance--perhaps enough time to get away.

• natal
    13 years ago

Sad story here in BR. A home invasion yesterday at 5:30 am where the mother was killed and her 9-year-old daughter shot multiple times in the back. She survived and hopefully can help police identify her mother's killers.

What's really sad is a neighbor thought he heard someone trying to kick in his door and grabbed his gun. Unfortunately, they left his house and went next door. If they had tried just a little harder the man could have shot them dead.

video

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

That is too sad.
    About 20 years ago there was a breakin on our street, the police told us then that the best deterrent were lights and a dog. We have deadbolts and some other safeguards too. We keep both front and back porch lights on all night - electric eye so they go on and off. and a light on downstairs all night not always the same room or the same light. Burglars supposedly will skip a lighted house with a noisy dog if there are dark quiet ones around.

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

Law enforcement personnel have told me the best deterent to a burglar is a big dog with a big bark. It is better than any electronic alarm system. No criminal wants to tangle with a dog. K-9 officers say threatening a criminal with a gun will not stop them, but threat of a dog does every single time.

It's important that the dog is in your home and not just in the yard. It can be poisoned or hurt while in the yard, but no one will come into a building with a barking dog on the other side of the window or door. They won't chance what will happen and the dog will be a lot more vicious when you try to come into the house where the master/mistress is sleeping.

I had a young girl knock on my door selling alarm systems and she asked if I had one. I pointed to my dog who was drooling wanting to get at her, and told her this was the only alarm system I'll ever need. She quietly left. LOL

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

Glad you've gotten a little rest. The cops will catch him soon. If your area has not yet gotten together, perhaps you could coordinate a neighborhood association to build a cohesive community. Some groups pitch in a small monthly fee to hire private security patrol, even just for the short term.

Great suggestions here. Love the dummy purse and the wasp spray. I wonder if there is a legal way to put those exploding ink packets banks use in the dummy wallet.

Those without panic house alarms can use the panic car alarm so keep a set of keys and a charged cell phone nearby. Be sure to have 911 and nearby neighbors on speed dial.

Adopting an older dog is great on so many levels. Until you get your new furrie friend, I'd turn the decoy outside water bowl and perhaps a food dish over at night to avoid attracting unwanted pests and mosquitos. Get one of those jumbo dog nylon bones and beat it up so it looks like it's starting to get chewed by a BIG dog.

One tip those of you with garage openers may consider is to remove them from the car visor so it can't be stolen and used as easy future access. Best of luck!

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Wasp spray is a good trick, never heard of that! Kind of along the lines of what Demi offered, having a can or few of mace and/or pepper spray is another option. If you don't have a big sporting goods store near you (Gander Mtn has a variety), check a local gun shop. Our gun shop is a little pricier but has more variety & carries everything from mini-purse to good size canister (up to 30' spray IIRC). One type I saw actually had a knuckle grip and trigger. Had to hold with two hands ala a handgun, but the gun shop guy told me it was the best they sold for aim & coverage. (About $50). I get the 3-in-1, mace/pepper/marking dye. They sell tasers/stun guns (that depends on if it's legal in your state).

Good point about dog toys, Faron. Our dogs are really big so we have the giant rope toys scattered all over the deck or back yard (and one or two up a tree from bad aim, lol).

This just made me think of something else. I got my mother a small motion sensor/alert for her attached garage (overhead) door. Sensor is placed on interior side of door (strong adhesive sticker) and very small receiver box sits in the house (attached to a wall). Receiver box flashes a red light when the door goes up. It might work for a garage service door when it's opened as well. (I got it at the overhead door dealer, $30 or so).

• golddust
    13 years ago

How about a motion water sprinkler type thing combined with motion sensor lights? Motion sprinklers are generally used to keep deer and raccoons away but I bet it would help keeps other things away too. I don't think they are very expensive.

Also, maybe you should go to Ross or another discount store and buy the largest size men's shoes they have. Bang them up like they have been worn and maybe get them a little muddy and leave them by your front door. Who would want to confront someone who wears a size 16+ shoe?

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Has anyone ever experienced a burglary while you were home? What did you do? If not, what would you do if you were home and this happened? Pretend to be asleep? Run out the door? I just don't know....

I like the dummy purse idea. I had a neighbor who was broken into while they slept; it was a bilevel; the 3 or 4 kids (friend slept over) were sleeping downstairs in the family room with the dog (Pom mix); parents bedroom was downstairs as well. The people went through the back door; stepped over the kids, went upstairs; cleaned out her purse, took her cell & split. I don't know if they used the same door or went through the slider in the kitchen. They did hear the dog bark at one point but didn't think anything about it. I had a shepherd at the time who I also heard barking. I guess my dog saved us; everyone was afraid of her.

I would almost suggest leaving a purse in your trunk as well as any valuables but what if they steal your car? If something like this was going on around me; I would have as many web cams hooked up as I could; there is supposed to be a free software program online that will allow you to use your webcam as a security system. I priced motion cams at one time; they were a bit pricey. This person is a huge threat; if I had to spend the money on cameras I would.

As far as where to hide the valuables - I would change to a small purse; I would take my extra credit cards & get a safe deposit box. I would keep minimal stuff in the house. I really only use 1 credit card & could live without the rest for a month if I had to. I might think to put my extra checks in a safe deposit box too. Paranoid? Maybe; but to replace all that stuff if he hit my house would be a royal pain; easier to get it out of the house. I think I would put my purse in the attic; or depending on my closet; I may be able to hide it in there. My last house was great for hiding stuff; there was a ledge behind the outer wall.

My father always had a floor safe; one of these days I'm going to get one put in our basement.

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

It is funny that just the other day I was thinking the next dog I get will have to be one that doesn't bark much. After reading this thread I really appreciate that one of my dogs is a barker. (The other one just looks out the sidelight and wags his tail at anyone. Rub his belly and he will lead you to the good silverware.) There is not one salesman, teenage neighbor, pizza guy or worker from remodeling projects that would try to enter my house because of my Cassidy. His bark is very scary. Like others, I got my dogs for companionship not protection. The fact that I feel safe is just a great added benefit.

Great thread. Really makes you think.

• leahcate
    13 years ago

I know there are devices with recorded barks. I'd think they'd have a motion detector one? I like the sprinkler idea, too. Yes, I've read wasp spray is preferable to pepper spray, mace, etc. because it can hit a target from afar.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

This is an email circulating. I remembered this thread so thought I'd share. (Normally don't, but opted to after reading sources of the info.) I actually am surprised by a couple. #3 (I go all out with flowers). #4, the pizza (or other) flyer. We almost never use our front door, and I'm guilty of going a couple days without undoing the flier that was so painstakingly tied to the storm door handle. Thinking that I'd get it 'later' because I was bogged down with groceries etc. coming home, or in such a hurry leaving. Only to forget, then I'd notice it when pulling out of the driveway the next day, make a mental note to grab it when I get back, and forget again! I won't anymore.

THIRTEEN THINGS YOUR BURGLAR WON'T TELL YOU :

Pay particular attention to the part
    about the wasp spray... and the car keys.

1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.

2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.

3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste... and taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.

4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it..

5. If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.

6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don't let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it's set. That makes it too easy.

7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom - and your jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.

8. It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door - understandable. But understand this: I don't take a day off because of bad weather.

9. I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don't take me up on it.)

10. Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.

11. Here's a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.

12. You're right: I won't have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take it with me.

13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. If you're reluctant to leave your TV on while you're out of town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow of a real television. (Find it at http://www.faketv/ ..com/)

8 MORE THINGS A BURGLAR WON'T TELL YOU :

1. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy and carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.

2. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.

3. I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back to what he was doing. It's human nature.

4. I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?

5. I love looking in your windows. I'm looking for signs that you're home, and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I'd like. I'll drive or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to pick my targets.

6. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page. It's easier than you think to look up your address.

7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it's an invitation.

8. If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.

Sources: Convicted burglars in North Carolina , Oregon , California , and Kentucky; security consultant Chris McGoey, who runs http://www.crimedoctor.com/ and Richard T. Wright, a criminology professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, who interviewed 105 burglars for his book Burglars on the Job.

Protection for you and your home:

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you.. (I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.):

WASP SPRAY

A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

FROM ANOTHER SOURCE....

On the heels of a break-in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self-defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says, "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades. It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray.

"That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out."

Maybe even save a life.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr.'s office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies. This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage. If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick around. After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there. This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

P.S. I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic. Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone. My Mom has suggested to my Dad that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn't hear him. He can activate the car alarm and then she'll know there's a problem.

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

Interesting post. However I did learn that in some places wasp spray is illegal to use as a self defense spray. You can probably get away with it in your home because you can say you were spraying for wasps and just didn't put it away.

And according to Snopes you can buy pepper spray that will shoot up to 25 feet.

Here is a link that might be useful: wasp spray

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

I grew up in the country & go back home often. I did buy a cannister of pepper spray/mace for when out hiking or 4 wheeling, only because black bear are returning to the area (I'm thrilled!) but just in case an angry mama shows up. ;) It sprays about 25' IIRC. I'm out a lot in isolated areas, sometimes carry my gun if on foot, but mostly just the spray since I'm often on the ATV.

I find that puzzling about the wasp spray (not questioning it), just stumped why it would be illegal as self defense? I travel alone a lot, long distance, and will probably put a can in my car. My little keychain pepper spray won't do diddly unless someone is close. I have my dog with me, he's a big teddy bear but people are afraid of him because of his color & size. Despite that, I've been approached at rest stops several times by panhandlers past couple years, since the economy went bad. They are pretty brazen, too. One guy I had to tell don't come any closer, my dog was aggressive. (Pup will raise his hackles if he thinks I'm being hurt, he's gone after another dog that was playing a bit too rowdy. But still, people coming boldly that close to a woman alone is too close for comfort.) I really need a self-defense class. :(

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

The article said that pepper spray, while unpleasant is formulated to be used on humans. Obviously wasp spray isn't and hasn't been tested on humans.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Ah, that makes sense in that offbeat way that only the law can dictate. ;) I had been looking at it from the angle of doing whatever it takes to protect oneself. (My Business Law prof was a practicing D.A. in a larger city. He told us a lot of stories. He told us one time, if you're going to protect yourself from an intruder in your home using a firearm, empty the gun. Even if you hit the intruder, shoot walls, etc. in the direction of the intruder till it's empty. That shows 'panic' defense mode. A single accurate shot apparently appears too calculating.)

• n2cookin
    13 years ago

I may be in the minority here, but I won't bother with wasp spray. Yes, it may spray up to 20 feet, but who is willing to allow a burglar to get that close? YIKES! If their intent is to enter a home that is "occupied", then they should fully accept my form of retaliation and that is shoot to kill. Why mess around? Why allow a burglar the upper hand? So many things can go wrong in this scenario because he is already in your home! What if HE has a gun? Who is running the show here? Wasp spray will blind him so we can what......slap him on the hand and say "bad boy, shame on you"? Uh, no, don't think so. Once he made that conscious decision to break into my home, he plays by MY rules!

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

I'm not allowed to carry any form of protection that is considered a weapon, not even pepper spray, while on my job. This has caused a lot of discontent by staff, because we frequently are in the wilderness and there are any number of critters (bear, cougars, coyotes, dogs, snakes) and sometimes 2 legged critters. And frequently, we're out alone at sites, too. But we were informed that wasp spray is not considered a weapon, so we can keep it with us.

I've had to use pepper spray on dogs (I was a mail carrier) but you do need to be close. I kept forgetting to get the spray, but this post reminded me to get some. Plus my DS's GF is staying alone in their house and she's nervous about that. She weighs less than 95lbs, so it'd be all she could do to manage a can of wasp spray, but it'd give her enough time to run out of the house if needed.

• User
    13 years ago

Use of wasp spray is illegal in our state of Michigan. Pretty scary that it would be illegal for someone to use any means to protect themselves. Especially from an intruder who has illegally entered a private residence but it is. I've also read some pretty crazy stories where a homeowner has been sued by the intruder for injuries sustained when the homeowner was aggressive in getting the intruder out of the house. How that can happen I just don't understand.

• folkvictorian
    13 years ago

The comment about not putting your vacation plans on Facebook is so important! All last week my friend Mary had updates every day on Facebook while her family was on a trip to San Francisco. She said where they'd gone, what restaurants they'd been to, etc. Hundreds and hundreds of friends and friends-of-friends knew she was thousands of miles from home for days on end. Same with with my friend Jeanne -- for several days leading up to her vacation to the Bahamas she would put in comments each day about how she just couldn't wait to get to the beaches, etc. etc. Why not just post a sign over your house that says "We're gone from home this week! Come on in!"

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

folk, totally agree with everything you said. I can't believe how free some people are with info (and some of the extremely personal stuff posted) on FB.

• whitdobe
    13 years ago

I've always cringed when facebook friends post about vacations while they're still out of town. I've always waited to do it when I get home. Well, I do sometimes announce that I'm going to see mom in Savannah but, in the very same post, I'll also say that DH and Mason the DOBERMAN will hold down the fort at home!

We do have an alarm system, two dogs and a shotgun. Nope, I wouldn't have any qualms about shooting someone who broke in.

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

We have been having a number of car burglaries and home burglaries in our area. About two months ago, I was babysitting my grandson in my home. It was about 1:30, he was asleep in the closest bedroom to the family room. My dogs were in there and I was in my laundry room off the breakfast area. Amos barked and I came out to "hush" him so that he wouldn't wake Asher but I didn't actually go to see what he was barking at. I returned to the laundry room and about 2 minutes later I heard this very loud knocking on the front door. No doorbell, just loud knocking that went on and on. Of course the dogs both started barking and went to the front door. Asher started crying so I was ticked. I went to the door but didn't open it - I have glass on both sides so I could see out through the sheer curtains.

The guy, kinda scruffy looking and in his 20's asked for Michelle. I told him that no one by that name lived here. The dogs were still barking and so he said he would back up - he then glanced at what I think was our house number and then said - I was looking for _______, a part reversal of our house number and asked if there was such a number on our street. I said No very sternly and he turned and walked away. I then noticed that his car was parked in front of our driveway and the driver door was open. I got a good look at the car and just thought something wasn't right about the whole situation.

By this time my grandson was not happy and neither was I. A couple hours later I saw a police car going down our street. My grandson and I walked down the street and I could tell that the house three doors down had the front door off the hinges. I told the policewoman what happened at my house and she said I was very lucky that I had gone to the door. My description of events was exactly what the burglars do - they knock loudly so that if someone is home, you will hear them and answer. Then they make up a story and leave. If you don't answer - they kick in the front door - go directly to the bedrooms (which the closest was the one the baby was in), look for purses, money, jewerly, and drugs. They put stuff in your pillowcases and are in and out in just a few minutes.

I was able to give a good description of the guy and car. I think he was caught a couple weeks later from what a neighbor saw happening on his way home for lunch one day but I was never asked to ID anyone. Of course we are still having home breakins so I know there is more than one doing this.

What is really scary is that I had just been in another one of the bedrooms watching my one soap opera with my dogs and had just left to check on the laundry. I don't think my dogs would have heard him the first time, maybe the loud knocking but I probably wouldn't have with the door closed and TV on.

BTW, when he left the neighbors house, he set the door back up so you couldn't tell from the street. He didn't get anything of value - only costume jewerly.

The police said that if there is a car parked outside, it doesn't necessarily stop them - if someone doesn't answer the door and barking dogs don't either. They just kick the dogs aside or let them out the door.

Scary to think this is happening in mid day and so brazen that it happens more than once in a single neighborhood.
    I make sure I go check on what the dogs bark at now and I leave my 62" TV on while Asher is sleeping - on mute but still its visible from the front door.

• msrose
    13 years ago

mboston - What's scarey about that is I don't answer my door if I don't know who it is, so they would probably assume I wasn't home when I really was.

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

You should at least go as close to the door as you can so they can hear you, even if its where they can't see you. It would be worse for you if they were already in when they discovered you, don't know what they might do if startled. In most cases, theses guys do not want to encounter someone. Going to the door, makes them not want to stay around.

I have started taking my phone with me to the door if I am not expecting someone.

• chispa
    13 years ago

When home alone I set the alarm to "stay", so all the doors and windows are armed, but the motion sensors are off. Always set the full alarm when I go out. DH is starting to remember to do this! I trained (scared) the kids by reading the weekly police crime report about thiefs walking out with TVs, Wiis and Gameboys ... that got their attention!