SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makeithome_gw

Freaking out - Exposure to Asbestos?

makeithome
12 years ago

So yesterday my contractor worked on some of the electrical while hubby and I were at work. He tore into the wall and vermiculite insulation poured out of the walls. Apparently, he had never dealt with the stuff (which shocked me), and he just swept it up and threw it away. Well, I came home and saw a few pieces on the floor, and realizing what it was I started to panic. I knew we had vermiculite in the attic, and I suspected that there might be some in the walls, but I never anticipated him tearing into the walls like he did. I also figured that if he ran into vermiculite, he would know about the link with asbestos (I mean, I knew and I am not in construction) and would handle it according to whatever necessary guidelines are out there. I should have never assumed.

At this point, whatever damage has been done is done. We've been exposed to whatever dust that we'll be exposed to.

I am freaking out. I know 1-time exposure probably isn't enough to do that much damage, but I have always been a bit of a hypochondriac. I do know that whatever cleaning I do, it will need to be WET in order to capture whatever dust residue is here. I just feel so worried and disappointed in myself for not realizing ahead of time that this could be an issue.

What would you do?

Comments (120)

• Chenoa Solis-Fine
    4 years ago

Thank you @Seabornman and @zbutler1125 . I appreciate your replying to my worried self. All I can keep thinking is this was done and the dust flew around the room. It Never even occurred to me. I didn’t throw the upholstered chair out I was standing on and don’t even remember what I was wearing. If my daughter ends up with mesothelioma at 20, I will then be the worst person in the world, day in and day out all I do is worry and panic. I hope I can calm down soon because I just want to cry!

• zbutler1125 .
    4 years ago

Like I mentioned the likelihood of that approaches 0. The only thing I would recommend is mention to any primary care dr what happened as she gets older so they can recommend any type of extra monitoring. Otherwise just put it out od your mind.

To put it into perspective when I had scraped off an entire dining room of popcorn ceiling I mentioned to the Tech how worried I was that I possibly exposed my family. He told me that we would probably have more exposure if we were to spend a day downtown (with all the buses, still used in some brake parts) than what would have been released in the house.

• Related Discussions

Very worried about possible asbestos exposure?

Q

Comments (8)
    Jane- Many people read about asbestos and get spooked, which sounds like what you have done. Don't get me wrong, asbestos is bad stuff; I know because I spent most of my career as an environmental engineer working in this area. However, in your case, I think it is unlikely you had any exposure from that work in the hallway. If they were removing asbestos insulation from old ducts and furnaces, or popcorn ceilings, then, yes. But just because they tore out what looks like a lot of old plaster and made a lot of dust means nothing. There may have been some lead dust in the air from the old paint, but that is a different story. As far as getting rid of your possessions, that's the uninformed panic talking...there is no need for that. (Even if there had been asbestos dust involved, a cleaning with an HVAC vacuum would have taken care of that, if it were necessary.) Please, you have been reading a bunch of scary stuff on the Internet and, having no background to properly assess the situation, have gotten upset. Take a deep breath and relax. Many people are ignorant of environmental risks and get into trouble unknowingly; in your case, you may be over-aware and too concerned about possibilities. I'm not trying to make light of your concern; I'm just trying to get you out of panic mode on this. It's fine and you will be fine.
    ...See More

Please help! Worried about possible asbestos exposure

Q

Comments (7)
    I was an auto mechanic for several decades, coming into contact with asbestos dust on occasion(averaging once a month or so) for several years. Plus I was a smoker for 35+ years. I have had four CT scans of my lungs(am 69 years old) in the past two years---zero problems. No spots, no shadows, nothing. One doctor actually asked me if I really did smoke. No one in that house, to include your daughter is at risk.
    ...See More

Worried about asbestos exposure from a while ago.

Q

Comments (10)
    You can smoke three packs a day and not get lung cancer, or die of it from second hand smoke (as 7300 people do every year, according to the CDC). The asbestos exposure health risk isn’t strictly linear either. I believe you are oversimplifying those results, the meta-analysis showed that lifetime non-smokers who lived with smokers for many years were 20% more likely to contract lung cancer than lifetime non-smokers who lived with non-smokers. Certainly enough to take action in public areas, but hardly convincing evidence of the non-linear relationship of cancer to exposure. The only way to know your health status is to see your physician, describe your exposure, and keep going in for your annual check-ups. Let's ignore that we are in a pandemic right now and statistically speaking that the greatest risk of lung damage imaginable right now is visiting a room full of people who might be infected with a virus that attacks the lungs. What tests do you want them to run on a 23 year old person with no symptoms who possibly had a minor exposure to asbestos in the past? Are you advising $15,000 (that insurance is not going to pay for) in annual tests to monitor a possible condition with one in a billion odds of occurring? Maybe everyone who has walked through a cloud of second hand smoke needs the same tests. Feel free to discuss this with your doctor, I never said otherwise, but don't panic about it. You are incredibly unlikely to develop serious consequences from the single exposure described. However, I was actually just riding in the car with my favorite doctor when I saw the response and she had one piece of advice for you, "you should definitely tell him not to marry a guy whose passion is remodeling old houses."
    ...See More

Freaking out about asbestos!

Q

Comments (9)
    OK...so this link to Health Canada's website must be complete bunk, is it? Yes. There are similar things from U.S. agencies but you must realize that government agencies tend to bow to certain pressures. I am going to copy this from an earlier post on the same subject... I really don't want to get into the mold discussion, but it is one of those areas where there is a lot more misinformation than good information. Indoor molds are simply not that bad for you. The single study that found a connection between indoor mold and health problems was rescinded by the CDC when errors were found in the study. Since then hundreds of peer reviewed scientific studies have found no connection between indoor mold and health problems. The mycotoxins in indoor home environments simply don't approach harmful levels, and have really only been found in agricultural areas and buildings. In most of the country, indoor air tends to have fewer mold spores and mycotoxins than outdoor air. Feel free to look further into it, you can start here - http://users.physics.harvard.edu/~wilson/soundscience/mold/gots1.html Mostly, news and litigators exaggerated this story. This is not to say that mold should never be addressed, but it shouldn't always be addressed. Indoor molds may be problematic to those who already have a sensitivity to it, such as those allergic to mold and those with asthma, as an asthma sufferer I want to add, indoor environments are still better than outdoor, but you want your home to be as comfortable as possible, mold isn't really a problem for me personally, but dust and pollen can be. ETA: Toxicity is literally the degree to which exposure can cause damage to an organism. So toxicity quite literally means long exposure to mold.
    ...See More
  • Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I'm so sorry you're going through that worry and I know how you feel. my popcorn ceiling had asbestos in it too and even though it was professionally removed, I have been so worried about all of the accidental exposures my husband and I have had in the past 5 years that we've lived in our house. I have been so scared to breathe in my house and I've given myself really bad panic attacks and almost even a heart attack because of it. so my point is, stressing out about it so bad can cause more immediate health problems than the chance that anything bad will actually happen from a few small asbestos exposures. Plus, there are a ton of people who don't even think to get their house tested for asbestos...so you're ahead of the pack in that regard! The asbestos tester who tested our house told me that as long as we try to keep a clean house free of dust, there should be nothing to worry about...so mop, wipe down the walls & furniture, and use a hepa vacuum on your fabrics and hopefully that helps give you some peace of mind. I really hope that that helps a little bit, I honestly understand how scary it is.

• Helen
    4 years ago

I had my popcorn ceiling removed when I did a remodel of my condo.

The testing company comes out and tests for asbestos in the ceiling. The actual remediation is done by a separate company to prevent even the appearance of hanky panky :-). After the asbestos ceiling was removed, the testing company comes in AGAIN and certifies that everything is now asbestos free. All the reports are sent to the appropriate government agency.

If you had your asbestos done by a licensed remediation company, I wouldn't worry about any asbestos remaining in your home. Also, so long as your asbestos ceiling is intact, you don't have to worry about the asbestos getting into your home. As long as asbestos isn't disturbed, it's not dangerous. If your ceiling is flaking or whatever, then it's problematic.

When asbestos is removed properly, it is treated properly all the way through disposal which is done in special hazmat sites so it doesn't pollute the environment. So people who are removing it themselves and tossing it in the regular trash, are endangering themselves as well as creating permanent environmental issues.

• Chenoa Solis-Fine
    4 years ago

@zbutler1125 .thank you for sharing w me!

• Chenoa Solis-Fine
    4 years ago

@Elizabeth thank you!

• Jay Jay
    4 years ago

10 days ago was doing some maintance work at a buddys house was helping him throw away some Wood and popcorn celing dry wall, the dust was in the air from him yanking it out,he wet the popcorn 1st then realized he can just pull the whole thing out...most of the dust was landing on him so i let him borrow some glasses since thats all we had,those got covered in like a white dust...i was grabbing everything empty handed but was wearing a white mask, till i got some glooves of my own,some dust landed on my eyes i tried rinsing it out.then on our break ,one of the guys pounded my hand with his white powdered club i think it flew Towards my Face & nose area, i held a drink low in my left hand although it wasnt alot or maybe none at all the incident was so quick since when he Walked out the house i was outside chatting so i thought it might of landed on my drink or in my mouth i looked in the mirror didnt see nothing so i took a drink..was that bad ? The house he said was from the 50s here in California the insulation look beige maybe it was white but changed color im not sure...the guy that pounded it was not working on the insulation from what i can see..he was doing some framing close by about 6 feet away but maybe made contact. Now after work i hand some more drinks and got pretty buzzed didnt shower just try to dust myself off was buzz eating i usually wash my hands but cant remember doing so or not plus ate with a fork... was smoking passed out in the same clothes and went to work like that ...how bad does it sound should i be worried didnt really think i got to much dust on me since i was picking the trash up only...now i really didnt remember about the clothes since i was buzzed can the particles get airbourne off your clothes walking by? Can it stick on furniture or carpet you sit on ? What about hugging someone? Have not felt weird till today but my eye after i shower try to rinse them out still felt something & nose felt stuffed a little more than usual...about clothes dont come off right? 1 last read their is 4 pre-test for it is that so?
    And ive showered but dont know if it all came off short a little itchy dont know if its dry skin or where im seating at ?Anybody that can shoot me some advice greatly apreciate it!

• hemina
    4 years ago

@Jay Jay the first thing you’ll notice is you’ll start writing run-on sentences. You’re probably getting more exposure to toxins from smoking.

• Jay Jay
    4 years ago

Lol my bad gotta work on my writting...do you think it was alot exposure i got ?
    The glasses i spoke of might of left some residue on my cig i had on my ear later that day...
    For reason i cant write on the website it types the word that erases it, so i copy & pasted from a work document

• jupidupi
    4 years ago

This thread reminds me of a story my dentist told me he heard at a dental convention. Apparently, a school nurse accidentally dropped and broke a thermometer that contained mercury. The response was to clear out the entire building to appease worried parents. People be crazy!

• Jay Jay
    4 years ago

Hey Anybody that can really help...Id apreciate it some help.
    And for those who want to critize me, keep it to yourselves. this is Not a fake story for your attention, I dont need it! What I do need is some advice from some knowledge or experience you might have that you wish to share & blessed me with, Thank you! Wait to hear from yall.

• Seabornman
    4 years ago

Jay Jay, I removed a whole house of popcorn in the eighties before anyone knew about asbestos. I was covered in it. Also blew out brake drums with compressed air. A couple of exposures to asbestos (from my understanding) is not what kills you. It's working with it day after day, combined with inhaling dust and smoking cigarettes. So take this as an opportunity to save your health and some money and quit smoking. And next time don't mess with the asbestos!

• HU-774074565
    3 years ago

I am in a townhome comples and the end unit caught on fire; I am in the 3 from the end and while no fire damage there was asbesto in the attic/ceiling and has been classified as a major spill. My question is I am being told all the appliances such as washer/dryer, stove, refer need to be disposed of. all of these appliances are downstairs where no breach of walls and the power had been turned off so no fans were working, all damage to ceilings was upstaires. Do I need to dispose all of these items?? also just got a pelaton bike 5 months ago and they are saying that needs to be dumped as well.

• lclarson43
    3 years ago

We had a similar scare while renovating our home and I looked up the research on asbestos exposure because we were also very anxious about it. Here’s what I found: Among people with heavy industrial exposure, in public health studies the rate of mesothelioma is 2-10%. So, 90-98% of people with HEAVY INDUSTRIAL EXPOSURE didn’t get it. Small exposures at home, while you of course want to minimize them, are very unlikely to cause it. After I read and thought about this, my husband and I put it behind us and have not worried about it since. I hope you can too!

• PRO
    CoolAir Inc.
    3 years ago

Nothing to worry about HU-774074565 the long term and direct exposure is dangerous. The asbestos damage was upstairs even it was downstairs just clean your things up through wet towels and dispose of that. Replacing all the appliances does not make any sense though.

• K T
    3 years ago

Is there any clean up/testing recommended upon finding out years after a reno that the contractor likely did not test for asbestos and that there likely was some? I found out based on a crack in drywall in a different area that it contains 2% chrysotile. Am wiping up/HEPA vacuuming that now sealed area prior to repair but it made us realize that we were likely exposed during two previous renovations. Though it was years ago, is there anything recommended? Air testing? I’m assuming not but not thinking very logically nowadays....

• zbutler1125 .
    3 years ago

Yes they offer air testing but if what you say is true the entire living space was contaminated and can only be cleaned using the same methods you arw using now. They say if it gets into furniture such as sofas there is no real way to get it out though. You can clean as much as possible then have someone come do an air test. It's pretty rare for it to be in the drywall itself and was more likely used in either drywall tape or the drywall compound (mud).

• HU-333110811
    3 years ago

Hello everyone! I know this is an old post but just feel to share our experience :D

We bought our first home in February 2020 in St. John's (Newfoundland, Canada), and as soon as I got the keys I tested a sample of the popcorn ceiling and came back positive.

The realtor mentioned something about the possibility of the asbestos in the popcorn ceiling but he also mentioned that there was nothing to worry about as long as it's not disturbed... all this is true, until when:

• your 4 years old daughter starts to throw toys in the air, touching and hitting the popcorn ceiling,
    • you realize that the previous owner had the air exchanger system installed and you see the vent in the ceiling popping out from times to times and you need to push it back creating dust,
    • you also have an 8 months old baby playing and crawling on the floors,
    • you have imperfections that you would like to fix, but are afraid of how to handle it without creating any dust,
    • you would like to do some renovations, add recessed lights but still don't know how to handle it without creating any dust...

The past week we decided to also get our walls tested. We wanted to remove a wall that separated the kitchen and the living room, for a brighter and open space... and with no surprise, the mud of the drywall came back positive as well, which means we will also have to be extra careful when drilling a hole or adding an outlet...

All this to say that we wish we did our research before purchasing the house, we just listened to our realtor that was trying to minimize the issue. We could have waited and purchased a recent home but we were too naive and we just went ahead with the purchase, without thinking about all the little details.

An abatement company is not at all an option, only to remove the popcorn ceiling the estimates were around $10,000, can't imagine how much that would be including the walls as well.

What's next?

For the ceiling we plan to:

1. add a vinyl/clear tarp/sheet on the ceiling (We would like to cover it with vinyl so that once I start adding the strapping it would contain the tiny particles created by the impact of the framing gun. )
    2. add strapping (1x3 or 2x3) every 16 inches (we are still debating if we should add recessed lights or not if that is the case we will need 2x3's to have enough room to add the Jbox of each pot lights as I don't plan to drill the pop ceiling. But that would drop the ceiling of about 2 inches.)
    3. add another layer of 1/2 gyprock screwed to the strapping.

We know it's too much work but we have no choice unless you guys have another idea.

For the wall separating the kitchen and the living room, I am still thinking of a plan/tools that wouldn't make too much dust, but I know that's inevitable.

I hope all this makes sense.

Attached two pictures of the current popcorn ceiling.

• Seabornman
    3 years ago

That's not what is traditionally called a "popcorn" ceiling. Popcorn is a sprayed pebbly texture. Yours is a sand finish of some sort. Which really doesn't matter, but the popcorn ceilings I've seen are much more likely to release chunks or fibers than what you have.
    Your plan of action seems reasonable, however seeing the kind of finish you have, couldn't you just poly all the walls and remove all of the ceiling in pieces? You'd have to remove all of the furniture, spray soapy water on it as you go, wear a respirator, and clean up after. The amount of work seems to be about the same, but you wouldn't have a lower ceiling and you wouldn't have asbestos.
    It sure beats the way I did it 40 years ago; scraped it off dry. Before I had even heard of asbestos.

• HU-333110811
    3 years ago

@Seabornman thank you for your insight, I see what you mean.

But I would still have some fibers around the corners of the rooms where the walls meet?

Will I need a fiber-block solution to encapsulate the fibers?

Which tool would you recommend to cut the ceiling?

I have several blades but I think power tools would create more dust than hand tools, am I right?

Any advice on the wall that we would like to tear down?

• Seabornman
    3 years ago

I would not cut the ceiling; I would pull it down in pieces. Once you get started, you may get pieces as big as half a sheet down at a time, if you're patient with it. Use a flat pry bar and a standard crow bar. I just removed several hundred square feet of ceiling. You'll have to break pieces down small enough to fit in a heavy construction grade garbage bag.
    What kind of insulation (if any) do you have above? It will come down with it. You would encapsulate any stray fibers in the perimeter in drywall mud and tape for the new ceiling.
    You might as well pull the drywall off the room side while you're at it. The other side would need some thought.

• Helen
    3 years ago

Part of the cost of remediation is paying for disposal at a hazmat site. Dumping asbestos contaminated material into the regular garbage is hugely anti-social.

Your ceiling is not the kind of hideous popcorn ceiling that most people remove. True popcorn ceiling is a dust catcher and dingy and just generally makes a room look dark and dingy. And painting it makes it worse since painted popcorn is way more difficult to remove if it ever come to that.

• HU-333110811
    3 years ago

Thank you for your help! Yes @Helen I am aware of the right disposal of asbestos, I just don't know if I have the right to get rid of it as I am not a certified and licensed asbestos abatement professional. I will have to find out. I don't want any fines.

Re the insulation, it's blown-in insulation I will have to check if I have a vapor barrier to prevent it from falling. Either way, I will have to discuss it with my wife, with two small kids and winter on its way I don't know know if that's feasible. I thought that covering it up would save me time and mess.

• Seabornman
    3 years ago

I just spent some time (because this made me curious) trying to find out what are requirements for removal and if you would have to dispose in a hazardous landfill. It's very confusing. Some say it's not "friable" and requirements for removal and disposal are minimal. Some say maybe not. In the end it is probably up to your state how they look at it.
    The fibers are fairly well contained in the mud, and breaking into pieces may release fibers or may not. Asbestos-containing floor tile and roofing felts can be sent to a regular landfill as the fibers aren't going anywhere.

• Helen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I can only discuss my experience with the standard popcorn ceiling as well as having dry wall with asbestos in the mud removed.

For both removals, the remediation company sent me certificates from the hazmat site that the removed materials had been received and what the quantity was. I am in California.

When I remodeled I did have some old vinyl tiles removed and those were removed without remediation measures. i had no input into how this portion of the demo was done. I knew my ceilings had asbestos as did my GC and removal by a certified remediation company was done as the first thing. Work couldn’t start until they came back and tested again and verified that there was no asbestos in the atmosphere.

I was informed about needing my drywall tested when a portion of it had to be replaced because of some flood damage from an upstairs neighbor.

• HU-333110811
    3 years ago

@Seabornman according to the regulations of our province, each project that involves asbestos abatement needs to be reported to being able to dispose of it as well https://www.gov.nl.ca/dgsnl/files/ohs-safety-info-pdf-frm-asp-proj-not.pdf I don't know if the removal will be an option, only regulated contractors can do the job.

• HU-333110811
    3 years ago

Hello again guys,

Somehow something has been bothering me lately. The opening of the air exchanger vent doesn't look like it has been encapsulated around its edges. And the Air Exchanger was installed by the previous owners.

Is it possible that the air blowing from the vent contains asbestos fibers?

Should we plan to have our indoor air tested for asbestos?

• kpkowski
    3 years ago

@HU-333110811 get it tested before you do anything! That looks more like sanded plaster rather than a popcorn ceiling to me. Your realtor likely only knows that a textured ceiling could be asbestos but doesn't know much else beyond that (why would they? They sell homes, they don't build them). And really, your child throwing a toy at the ceiling is not a real risk, I promise!

If you want to feel better, read studies about exposure rates of asbestos. People who spent their careers working directly with asbestos-laden products didn't all develop cancer, so that bodes well for people in homes with some asbestos products who have infrequent exposure and in very small quantities.

• HU-333110811
    3 years ago

Hi @kpkowski, yes we got it tested as soon as we got the keys to the house back in Feb 2020 and it came back positive we have 1-5% chrysotile asbestos. Should we go ahead and get our air tested?

• Mini-Split Warehouse
    3 years ago

What is asbestos?

https://www.newcentralairconditioner.com/

Asbestos is a group of six natural mineral fibers. These fibers are known for their strength and fire- and chemical-resistant properties. Because of these qualities, the manufacturing and building industries have used asbestos to:

Strengthen cement and plastics.

Provide insulation.

Fireproof buildings, textiles and military vehicles.

Absorb sound.

Asbestos fibers may be white, blue, brown, gray or green. The white fibers, called chrysotile, are the most commonly used in the United States.

What products contain asbestos?

Asbestos has been mined and used in North America since the late 1800s. During World War II, manufacturers starting using it more. Asbestos is in thousands of products, including building products such as:

Asbestos and cement shingles, siding and roofing.

Casings for electrical wires.

Millboard.

Patching and joint compound.

Pipe, duct and furnace insulation.

Floor tile and adhesives.

Soundproofing material.

Many household products and substances also contain asbestos, including:

Artificial ashes and embers used in gas-fired fireplaces.

Automobile brake pads and linings, clutch facings and gaskets.

Fireproof gloves, stovetop pads, table pads and fire-resistant fabrics (including blankets and curtains).

Some plastics, paints, coatings and adhesives.

Vermiculite-containing attic insulation and consumer garden products.

How does asbestos affect my health?

Asbestos fibers are not harmful unless they are released into the air. When they are released, the fibers break down into tiny particles. The particles become airborne, and we inhale them. Then they collect in the lungs, causing scarring and inflammation. Several U.S. health organizations have classified asbestos as a carcinogen, a cancer-causing substance.

Exposure to asbestos can increase the risk of developing:

Lung cancer.

Asbestosis, which causes permanent lung damage.

Mesothelioma, a rare cancer of the chest and stomach lining.

Cancer of the gastrointestinal tract, kidney and throat (larynx or oropharynx).

Scarring of the lung lining.

Pleural effusions, when fluid collects around the lungs.

• HU-641263786
    3 years ago

@HU-333110811 ive been reading your experience and concerns with great intrigue. I know most of this forum is US based and I am from UK. However all the information still remains true for myself. Me and my partner recently bought our forever home, a 1920s old build, beautiful however has the dreaded ‘pebble’ popcorn ceiling and asbestos containing cement boarding to walls.

We are very nervous about any kind of ‘disturbance’ even putting pictures on walls eg with Raul plugs or changing a light fitting.

The first half of forum was very reassuring particularly from Seabornman and zbutler, however the anxiety is still there, I must need to invest in a HEPA vacuum as we already have a tall Dyson air purifier which has worked wonders in the past

• cjbam99
    3 years ago

I need help. I am remodeling a 1000sqft house we just bought that was built in 1980. i ripped everything out in preparation for new flooring and kitchen. In the kitchen there was some underlayment with ~80-100 sqft of vinyl tiles from the ~90s. To try and make removal of the underlayment easier, i cut it into smaller rectangle shaped pieces (maybe 12-15 total cuts) with a circular saw and then used a pry bar and hammer to pull it up. At the end I realized there is vinyl sheeting under the tiles, so I took the sheeting to get tested and it came back as 20% fibrous Chrysotile. Im now freaking out! I was breathing pretty heavily wearing and N95 mask for most of it but learning now they aren't rated for asbestos!!!! I did have a window and two doors open in the kitchen but it was still pretty dusty. I was in the house for about ~5hrs and assume this is really bad?!? This was a couple days ago and I've been so worried I cant sleep. Does anyone know if this would be considered low, moderate or high exposure? Also, would this put me at a moderate or high risk for future asbeatos related disease? Thank you in advance for any info.

• Jill Kasprzak
    3 years ago

I'm in a similar boat as you and need some experienced help/input I cleaned out an old gas fireplace this evening that had (from what I was told) possibly some asbestos, but not sure how much. I wore an N95 mask and attached a vacuum cleaner bag inside our shop vac on the hose connector. I used duct tape for a secure seal. I wet down all the rock and sand and scooped up with a dust pan up as much as I could (with latex gloves on) and used the shop vac for the rest. I too had windows and doors opened to keep air flowing but with reading some other posts not sure if that was a good idea. The drywall ceilings have been redone as well as the house wiring, and hardwood floors so there was already plenty of dust and debris everywhere. Before cleaning the fireplace we did clean up as much dust as possible from the walls/floors with brooms, shop vac, vacuums but until the thick paper on the floors protecting them, comes up we will still have some dust. No one else was in the house when I cleaned the fireplace. I put the 4 gas logs in a plastic garbage bag that lined a thick box. With each scoop of the sand/rock I watered down each scoop before scooping and when I was slowly emptying in the bag. No one is at the house this evening but I do have workers coming back in the morning to finish they tasks. I was only cleaning the fireplace for about 2 hours. This fireplace has been untouched/not used for over 30+ years. A few questions: 1. Should I have any health concerns based on how I cleaned up the fireplace? 2. Since I used a shop vac (with a vacuum cleaner bag) would any of the asbestos dust particles still have got into the air? 3. I have taped up the box containing the gas logs/debris and items is used to clean it out. How and I to dispose of the contents? 4. A family member will be moving into the house soon, should I be concerned for their health/safety even with the measures I took in cleaning the fireplace?

Any comments/help would be appreciated.

• Rugby1 Samsung
    2 years ago

That's nothing, 5 yrs ago I dumped blown insulation on top of the vermiculite. Since then Ive been up in the attic 4- 5 times my head in the blown insulation doing work etc. I've disturbed the vermiculite some but not too bad. The mask did come off a few times. Should I write RIP?

• Lauren Leeds
    2 years ago

Does anyone have a rec on a true HEPA vacuum?

• homechef59
    2 years ago

I have a SEBO. I had a Miele. You will need to go to a high end vacuum shop. After my 18 year old Miele bit the dust, no pun intended, I went to the fancy vacuum store fully prepared to buy another Miele. I had also had a Dyson D7 Animal that ate through my Persian rugs. I could have had the Miele repaired, but it would have been the third time and I decided it was time to let go. Anyhow, after dealing with a real salesmen who knew his business, I ended up the the SEBO. The power head is great on my carpets and doesn't tear them apart like the Dyson.

• HU-510440146
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I just had an exposure from a collapsed ceiling in a 1937 build. The mitigation company will come out and it will cost about 18000 for two rooms (I was told the second bedroom’s ceiling is about to go) not counting new dry wall, shades, carpeting and bed. Unfortunately, i spent time scooping the stuff up and left the HVAC on for two days before i thought to go to the internet to identify the insulation. it was called Zonolite and was taken from a mine in Libby, Montana. The towns residents got very sick and many have died. You can find the whole story easily on line. i called industrialvacs.com and got a Nilfisk Clarke VP 300 HEPA vac for about $400. i was told this needs to be a canister type not an upright. .I think this is a Danish company but the vac is pretty powerful. Other than tearing the entire house down, i dont know what else to do other than to get asbestos pros and work together with duct cleaning pros before turning the HVAC system on again. as well as vacuuming and wiping down the house.

• HU-510440146
    2 years ago

Forgot to mention that some insurers will pay for the mitigation. Mine will pay a portion for one room but the other room hadnt collapsed yet so i will have to pay for that add on.

• mononhemeter
    2 years ago

@HU-510440146, have you looked in the the Zonolite Trust Fund? https://www.zonoliteatticinsulation.com/Hm1.aspx

I was partially reimbursed by them for professional removal of vermiculite in an attic.

• K Z
    last year
    last modified: last year

My son and I were cleaning out an old grainry, we cleaned up a material that looked like dirt. Days after the clean up I was curious as to what the material was. After looking on the internet i think it might be vermiculite and am freaking out that my son was exposed to asbestos. i know there is nothing i can do about it now but i am really worried about my sons health. it keeps me awake a night with worry.

• K Z
    last year

We were not wearing masks.

• K Z
    last year

Here is a photo of the material . it was just on the floor of the grainry. We were scooping it up.

• K Z
    last year

Here is what it looks like wet.

• Uni Ram
    last year

How large are the individual pieces? My suggestion would be to first reach out to someone with the Dept. of Labor in your state that has experience here and does not want to sell you something. I would speak to them with as much detail as possible. They will probably ask to have a sample tested, I have had most of my house tested because of popcorn ceilings, and these came back negative.

I have an acquaintance who is an engineer that works on removing industrial quantities of asbestos from job sites, I will try and reach to her.

• K Z
    last year

They are maybe 2 mm

• Seabornman
    last year

I've removed vermiculite and that's not it.

• Uni Ram
    last year

Seabornman,

What was your experience, was it from an attic? Does it come granular and puffed?

A question I have is the degree to which vermiculite is inherently dusty/friable, or is it like 9 inch floor squares, with asbestos locked into a matrix.

I learned a couple years ago that some popcorn ceiling material was made with vermiculite. Because of that, I had to retest my ceilings, which did not come back hot.

I would recommend to KZ for piece of mind, to speak with an Asbestos testing lab and either have them come out to collect a sample, and test it stringently.

• Seabornman
    last year

Vermiculite is puffed. It's layered with a shiny mica- like surface on some of the faces.

• amber kuykendall
    11 months ago

Quick question I