SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_bablabla75

Am I crazy to get the whole house LVP and no carpet? I'm freaking out.

Sarah
3 years ago

We're building, and about a week ago we finalized the design choices. We decided to go all LVP and no carpet anywhere. This morning I woke up at 4 a.m. and started wondering if I'd made a terrible mistake and we should change back to carpet in some places even if it costs a change fee. I would LOVE it if anybody has experiences to share to help me feel better about this path or give me the confidence to make the change.

Here's some background: we love carpet and we've mostly always had carpet. When we were house hunting, before we decided to build, I noticed that the wooden/tile/LVP floors looked really nice, and I decided that that was something I wanted. This model home master bedroom in particular went a long way towards that choice. With the area rug and the beautiful flooring, it seemed like the best of both worlds. (Side note: I am completely unable to tell the difference between engineered wood and LVP and wood-look tile. I know some people can, but I can't, and I think they all look equally good!)

We also have a 16-month old and hope to have another baby in the near future, and we also have a small dog who developed house-training issues during the stress of the baby's arrival and we haven't been able to resolve it yet. (16 months of house training fails is a long time. :| ) So we expect to have a lot of spills, stains, and toilet-training issues in the next few years.

But I hate the idea of walking on cold, hard floors all the time. With LVP it won't be as cold as tile, and we're in Texas anyway so cold isn't a huge issue. I hate the idea of having to clean dog pee off area rugs, but I guess that's still better than having it on installed carpet where the pad might smell like pee for years afterwards. I just learned about carpet tiles, but the really nice-looking ones seem so expensive for our large master bedroom and living room (about $3k for a 10x12).

And then I think about the master bathroom. The place we currently rent has carpeted bathrooms, and we love them. Will we hate having hard floors in there? The toilet is in a separate room, so we could put hard floors there, but what about the rest of the bathroom? Will we just have to put area rugs everywhere?

And then I think about working on "floor" projects, like assembling something from Ikea, and I realized that with hard floors we won't really have a great place to do that. If I'm kneeling on the floor to play with our dog or the baby, it'll be hard on my knees and the tops of my feet. Even with area rugs (which I've never really had before), it sounds like they aren't as soft as carpet.

I also worry that all-LVP will make the house loud and echo-y.

And then I think about the walk-in closets. It just seems like it should be carpeted in there. I don't know why.

We could put carpets just in the bedrooms, where the dog might be a little more successful at not peeing than the common areas, or alternatively maybe the dog would just seek out the carpet because she prefers it to going outside. Or we could keep the bedroom doors closed all the time, but that sucks.

Please help! I am freaking out and I don't know what to do.

Comments (52)