SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ronf_gw

Italys' best kept secret; a travelogue (pics)

ronf_gw
16 years ago

It's too cold to do anything outside today so I've been reviewing and organizing pictures on the computer.

DW and I went to Italy in October of 2005.

Our DD and SIL lived there for 3 years while he was in the Air Force. DW and I like to go exploring. DD told us they had driven through the city of Trieste and thought it looked very interesting. That was all we needed to know. Trieste is on the Adriatic Sea on the very northeastern edge of Italy. SIL dropped us off at the train station early one morning and 3 hours later we're in Trieste. We had packed a bag with the intention of staying a couple days. As we left the train station all we knew was that the train station was behind us. Let the adventure begin! I love this kind of traveling; where you just go by the seat of your pants. In the first block was a hotel and we got a map of the city. I love maps and have a very good sense of direction. The tourist information place was only about 8 blocks away. There a helpful young lady that spoke excellent English gave us a list of B&B's and a better map to find them with. She also provided us with a list of attraction we should check out. In an hour and a half we had a room in the oldest part of town with a fantastic view from our 3rd floor window.

There was a botanical garden, 2 castles, a partially restored coliseum, the harbor, and the neatest farmers market. we stayed for 3 days and still didn't get to see everything. And this was the real Italy, not the one overrun with tourists like Venice, Florence, or Rome. It was the highlight of our trip.

The coliseum, accidently discovered in the 1930's when footings were being dug for a store.

San Giusto cathederal.

Up in the bell tower of the cathederal.

Mirmar castle.

The harbor.

On the quay at night.

Ron

Comments (14)