SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

How do you get your 5+4?

foodonastump
15 years ago

After many years of barely eating any fruits or vegetables, I've been trying to be conscientious of putting the USDA recommended 5 half-cup servings of vegetables and 4 servings of fruit into my daily diet.

The veggies haven't been a problem for me. Most every day I make a mid morning breakfast of a vegetable egg white omlette with about 2 cups of vegetables - I always have brocolli, cauliflower and onions on hand, but may sub in other veggies that are approaching the end of their useful life. The fifth serving of vegetables and first serving of fruit are covered with a glass of V8 Fusion, if that can be trusted.

So, veggies are taken care of even before dinner. But it's the fruit that kills me; I just don't enjoy it. I might eat a cup of grapes or apples just to say I did it, but I'm forcing myself. I know they say to snack on fruit, but I'm not a snacker unless I'm hungry, and if I'm hungry fruit isn't going to cut it!

Do you eat your 5+4 consistently? If so, how is it spaced throughout your day?

Comments (30)

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I love fruit, but I think the USDA suggestions are insane. Who eats 5 apples in a day? My 21 year old son? If the majority of your carbs for the day come from some source with natural fiber--fruits/vegetables/whole grains, etc., I think you're better off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Serving size

• triciae
    15 years ago

I most always eat 2-3 pieces of fruit/day. Veggies are harder & I'm lucky to get a couple servings.

I could live on fruit & be quite happy. I use fruit as snacks and as part of a meal. Actually, a meal isn't complete here without fruit of some sort.

My family sent me care packages of fresh fruit when I moved from CA to CO and continued when we moved to NH (worse than CO). Now, there's a reasonable supply here in New England year around but still nothing like 'home'.

Growing up, we always had crates of oranges, grapefruits, & lemons piled up in the garage. I never had anything except fresh squeezed OJ until I moved to CO & was horrified at the cost of oranges. DH always special orders me 6 boxes of fresh figs every year (He's such a good DH!).

The veggies though...hmmm. I have to admit that I really don't like anything that has a "head" on it, except lettuce! lol That would include asparagus, brocolli, cauliflower, etc. Also HATE HATE HATE peas popping in my mouth. Nope, won't eat 'em. I will eat dried peas though & peapods...just not those little green balls. (grin) Also refuse to eat green peppers. They pollute anything within 5 miles, IMO. Red peppers are better than green but I still would never purchase them. I can gag 'em down though if in public & confronted with the darn things. Usually, I'm pretty good at avoidance.

God created vitamin pills for those of us that get all gaggy just thinking about a whole pan of roasted veggies (well, except potatoes!).

Tricia (who had half a fresh papaya & a banana for lunch)

• Related Discussions

How would you use a 'bonus' 5'4' wall space?!

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks very much for your comments! I think that this looks pretty neat too lavender_lass! My neat freak side (who wants to hide the coffee area!) is locked in mortal combat with my lazy side (who doesn't want to open and close doors!) :-) :-) Thanks very much for your input lascatax. I'm sorry, I have not been able to upload a floor plan which would have been helpful...! But this area is located close to the breakfast table (sort of at the end of the table)... Probably a bit like yours? And ours is immediately beside the fridge. You have been REALLY clever with your use of space - such a good idea instead of a rarely-used door! You have achieved so much in 58"! I can imagine that this would be so very useful on a daily basis!!! You have inspired me...!!! And I love your use of the refrigerator drawers! (I had to look twice!) Our area would not have to close, I suppose. I guess that retractable doors would limit the width of usable counter space to less than 48", assuming that the doors could be 24" max to fit back within the cabinets. Counter space might be as little as 42" really...? That would be quite tight, wouldn't it!!! Thanks very much for taking the time to reply! All the best, Ruth
    ...See More

How do you get your duvet cover to stay in place?

Q

Comments (21)
    I have ties on the corners of my duvet, but no loops on the comforter, so I just bunch up the corner of the comforter a little and tie around the corner. You can do the same just by sewing shoestrings or the like to all four corners. Make sure you choose a tie that you can easily undo and redo many times, that's why I like the idea of using a shoestring. Sewing loops onto the comforter would be more work, but if you're so inclined I say go for it.
    ...See More

Do you curl/roll your hair? How do I get this look?

Q

Comments (37)
    I admire you all who can do the Instyler. I would make a huge, tangled mess if I did it. lol. However, I found this video earlier today and I finally figured out how to do the waves the easy way. This is a short video showing three different types of curls. The last one is what I'm going to do. Easy Peasy curls All I need is a thinner curling iron and use smaller pieces of hair. I've always done a twist (wave) on each side of my face anyway, but it made bigger curls that fell out sooner. I noticed it's also how you take the hair off the iron.
    ...See More

how do you get over your fear?

Q

Comments (31)
    I used to take Librium when I experienced anxiety, but I don't need it so much any more, and I've been told that there are better medications for anxiety and panic attacks now. When we took a horse ride in Costa Rica, my horse got spooked by a buzzard (or some large black bird than flew down at it) and the horse reared up so high that I fell off of the back of the horse, despite holding onto the saddle at tightly as I could. I landed in muddy grass and so I did not get hurt that badly, but I did get bruised. We also went zip-lining, and that did not scare me at all. I have fears of going through dangerous city neighborhoods (especially on public transportation), and so I take a book to read while I'm doing it - or at least when I used to do it. The subway in Mexico City could be very scary, and certain city buses in San Francisco were not that safe. I've been mugged in SF three times (twice on buses). I love the suspension bridges in North Vancouver, especially the one at Lynn Canyon.
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    15 years ago

How do I? I don't.

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Are you watching cholesterol or calories too? If not, you might enjoy an apple paired with cheddar cheese. That's the only way I eat them other than apple sauce.

I'm not a big fruit fan either, but I really enjoy strawberries that have been frozen with sugar then thawed out. Some of them buzzed in the blender to make a sauce. Then add mango, cantelope, bananas, kiwi, etc. It's particularly good over vanilla ice cream.

You might prefer stewed fruit over raw. Or smoothies?

That said, I don't get the recommended amount - ever. I get plenty of veg, though.

• lisazone6_ma
    15 years ago

I eat either an apple, orange, or banana most days. Sometimes grapes. When in season I eat blueberries just about every day. Some days I eat 2 or 3 of them in combination, but usually it's at least one. I try to eat salad every day and I try to have at least 2 veggies at suppertime. Some days I eat nothing but fruits and veggies all day and other days I don't eat any! Over the course of a week, I probably get close to the mark for what I'm supposed to have altho I'm very erratic.

Tucking veggies into other things is a good idea - like with your omelettes. Soup is another good way to incorporate 4-5 even more veggies into a meal.

Do you like smoothies? I buy bags of frozen fruit at Costco. If I remember right it has grapes, strawberries, honeydew melon, pineapple, and peaches in it. It might have cantelope as well, but I'm not positive. Anyway, I throw a container of yogurt and some skim milk or orange juice in the blender, then fill it up with the frozen fruit and blend. You get that frozen slushy effect because the fruit is frozen and depending on the yogurt and what you add, you can make it to your own taste. You can use any fruit juice you like, or none at all. That's a good way to work some more fruit into your diet.

Lisa

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Fruit doesn't have to be plain - things I like are : apples slices with a brown sugar dip, smoothies, strawberry shortcake, caramelized apples, pies, mango salsa, etc.

• shaun
    15 years ago

I've been making smoothies everyday for breakfast.

This mornings had:

sunflower sprouts
    fresh spinach
    lettuce
    strawberries
    blueberries
    peaches

I liquify the greens first w/some distilled water (in the food processor) then add the fruits, as much as you like, adding more water as you need it.

Drink up!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I don't even try to get those 4 servings of fruit because I just don't really like fruit very much. Fortunately, I love veggies and if you check the nutritional stats the same types of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants are available in both fruits and vegetables. I think they got broken up into servings of fruits/vegetables to encourage people to eat a wider range of foods.

That said, I'm not an enthusiastic breakfast eater, I'm really bad about it. I will have a glass of V-8 with a slice of toast for breakfast or a bowl of yogurt over fresh fruit, but not until about 10 am. I have been known to put apple sauce on a pancake. Lunch always includes two, sometimes three vegetables and I have an apple, a pear or some carrots for a snack, or celery and hummus for a snack. Right now I'm eating red pepper strips. I have a couple more vegetables for supper and usually a salad or cole slaw or some vegetable soup. I figure I'm up to about 6 or 7 by that time and I'll have grapes, raisins, a cup of that vegetable soup or maybe some more hummus with celery as a snack. Some days I eat even more vegetables than that, some days less.

I do like berries, so I often have blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc. with yogurt for breakfast.

Annie

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

I like all kinds of fruit and I love fruit and yogurt smoothies. But vegetables kill me, especially greens and most especially broccoli. I must force myself to eat them. I prefer them roasted or raw. I do like quick-sauteed spinach, so I try to keep that in my fridge.

• User
    15 years ago

I don't even try. Moderation in all things. Why on my cheese steak tonight I had tomatoes and onions - there you go, two veggies!!

I can assure you, even the people who publish those silly diet recommendations don't last a month on their own diet. These suggestions work only if you obsess all day every day with planning and preparing food. Who has time for that.

Eat a reasonably healthy, well balanced diet and over the course of a month, you'll probably get all the stuff you need.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Sometimes I'll have fruit with breakfast but not every day. We do get plenty of vegetables though because I usually put at least four all together in the steamer and then potatoes, yams and onions to bake in the toaster oven as part of our midday dinner.

We also have mixed salads regularly.

Since we keep a fruit bowl as well as a bowl of tomatoes on the dining room table, we'll often peel a banana, pear or orange as dessert, since they're right there beside us. In the evenings I often make a bowl of sliced apple, grapes or pear which we both nibble on in front of the TV. So I don't think we get 5 +4 every day but pretty close to it. I make breakfast smoothies sometimes when I have a variety of fruit and juice on hand. Neither of us have ever taken vitamins or any other kind of pills.

SharonCb

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

Is that what they say? I've heard at least 5 servings of fruit and veggies every day, but I haven't heard the 5+4. I love both fruit and veggies, so it's not a problem for me to eat lots of both, but I doubt I eat as much as they recommend if that's what they're saying these days - maybe I do. I have berries at breakfast, and some kind of fruit at lunch, such as an apple, orange, grapes, or plum, peach, etc, depending on what's in season. In the evening I'm less likely to eat fruit, but I do usually have veggies.

As for the veggies, I almost always have a mixed green salad for lunch if it's warm, which is most of the time in Texas, or I'll have a thermos of soup to which I've added some kale or spinach or some other green, as well as a bit of chopped onion and maybe some chopped celery, just to flesh it out a bit. Then I'll have 2 or 3 or more helpings of various veggies for supper, depending on the situation.

Remember, not all fruit is sweet fruit. Think about tomatoes, eggplant and peppers - they're fruit. Peppers are very high in vitamin C, so if you don't like oranges, try peppers instead.

Also, think about what time of year it is. Those of you that don't like fruit might consider trying to find the freshest fruit that is in season right then, and buy locally. It does make a difference - if it's possible to find locally grown fruit. Try different varieties. If the only apple I'd ever tasted was delicious, I wouldn't think I like apples either. There's quite a difference in how apples taste from one variety to another, so experiment.

Actually, I don't understand a blanket statement such as "I don't like fruit" since one kind of fruit tastes so different than another kind of fruit. Avocados taste completely different from apples, which taste completely different from, well, the proverbial orange, which tastes completely different from watermelons, which tastes completely different from peppers, and so on.

Sally

• cloudy_christine
    15 years ago

I don't think anyone is likely to follow those guidelines. Think about it: five half-cup servings of vegetable is two and a half cups of vegetables. I can eat that much salad, but only because it packs loosely. Otherwise, you're eating the equivalent of a whole meal of vegetables.
    Here's my usual intake: breakfast, no fruit or vegetable; lunch is always yogurt with an apple or some grapes, or a smoothie made of yogurt, a banana, and pineapple juice; dinner almost always includes salad or a vegetable. Sometimes I have guacamole in the evening, so that's a vegetable snack. That's about it.
    Things are different in the summer, when I eat a lot of peaches.
    I am surprised to see that a bunch of you said you like vegetables better then fruit. I thought that was only Annie!

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Foodie:
    Does Peach or Apricot brandy count as a fruit ???

Than there is a Pins Colada Smoothie or Strawberry Smoothie

You talked me into it. I'll start with Peach Brandy
    Lou

• shambo
    15 years ago

I'm another person who doesn't care much for sweet fruits. It's a matter of personal taste, of course, but I've never been overly fond of sweets and sweet fruits just don't appeal to me. I'll eat them, but I either have to be in the mood or someone has to just plain force them upon me. For example, my husband will peel a large orange and give me half.

Vegetables, on the other hand, I love. I just think I'm one of those people who enjoys savory tastes more than sweet tastes. Even as a teenager, after eating a super sweet dessert of some sort, I'd want to top it off with something made with onions. I just had to get that sweet taste out of my mouth. I'm still the same today.

Is it really 5 vegetable servings PLUS 4 fruit servings? I thought it was just five servings of either/or.

• jcrowley99
    15 years ago

To help my hubby get his fruits I keep a variety of fruits ready to eat in the fridge and put them out with each meal. Right now we have (all cleaned, cut if needed, and ready to eat) blackberries, strawberries, watermelon, and black, red, and green seedless grapes. There are also apples, bananas, and raisins to go with oatmeal, as well as orange and grape juice. I know my hubby will eat his veggies, but he never eats fruit outside the house. I often have cheese with wheat crackers and fruit salad as a afternoon snack, or sometimes for a quick and easy lunch.

Joanne

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Sally, I do eat locally. In fact, I grow my own apples and get pears from a neighbor. I also just started growing my own grapes. I pick sweet cherries at a local orchard for $1 a pound if I pick my own, ditto peaches

I grow watermelon and muskmelon in the garden. It doesn't make any difference, I'm not much more excited about an apple plucked directly from my own tree than I am one that's been shipped across the country. They're OK, but nothing I go wild over.

Avocados are OK. Pomegranites and kiwi make my mouth sore so I never eat them. Plums are nice.....in plum sauce. Bananas are icky and mushy and I refuse to eat them at all, not even in banana bread or banana cream pie. Grapes are minimally acceptable, as long as they aren't frozen. I don't like them frozen at all, in spite of all those Weight Watcher tips telling me it's just like eating ice cream. Maybe it is, I don't care for ice cream much either!

shambo, maybe you're right about the sweet/savory thing, because I don't go wild over sweet stuff, but I like chips, pretzels, the salty/crunchy stuff.

So, it appears that since I wouldn't drink brandy for any reason and I don't care for smoothies since they are too much like ice cream and it doesn't make a difference whether they are local or not, I'll have to stick with my veggies. I just ate a whole pint of collard greens for lunch, I figure that counts for FOUR servings, LOL.

I do love fresh tomatoes and peppers from the garden, so I eat a lot of those in the summer and they are both technically fruits. Oh, and cucumber, which is actually a fruit and is related to muskmelon.

Annie

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

Yeah, I guess I was preaching to the choir. I realized after I posted that there is a fruit I just don't like, and it's bananas. I'm with you on that one, Annie.

Sally

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one having a bit of a time with this - although I might be the only one who cares!

I just went on the USDA site and yes, it's not 5 servings of fruit and vegetables, it's 5 servings of vegetables AND four servings of fruit. Actually it turns out that at my age/gender I should be eating THREE cups of vegetables a day!

They seem to use the colloquial definition of vegetable, not the scientific. So tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. are vegetables.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA food pyramid

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Remember, foodonastump, that the government also classifies catsup as a vegetable, so you could load up on the Heinz with a bunch of McDonald's fries and get a couple of servings of vegetables that way. LOL Not healthy, but still vegetable servings....

I'm having mushroom and barley soup for lunch, no meat, just onions, celery, mushrooms, barley, chicken stock and some seasonings. I figure that's good for at least three servings.

Annie

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

I am another that prefers savory over sweet.
    Offer me an apple or a bell pepper for a snack and I'll pick peppers every time.
    Green salad over Fruit Salad. Roasted asparagus over applesauce as a side to pork.
    That said, I do like berries or peaches mixed into yogurt with a handful of oatmeal tossed in.
    I love bananas. Ultimate fast food breakfast for me. Add a granola bar if I'm really hungry.

If I want something sweet....give me a homemade cookie!!!

One way to incorporate fruit is to make cobblers. Lots of fruit, oatmeal/flour/sugar or other sweetener/oil or butter mixed for the topping. good way to get in that oatmeal too!

Deanna

• deniseandspike
    15 years ago

Triciae,

Can you share where you husband orders fresh figs from? I can get them locally but they always look bad even at the store. I'd love to order some next season.

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Pretty much all the fruit I eat are what most people call vegetables: lots of peppers, eggplant, tomatoes.

I don't eat citrus, apples, pears, stone fruits or most berries. I will eat the occasional banana or some melon, but not watermelon. I'm not going to feel guilty about it either, because I really don't like them at all.

That said, I don't think I've ever met a vegetable I didn't like except beets.

• triciae
    15 years ago

dktrahan,

Yep, he orders them from Passion Fruit Farms somewhere close to Merced. I was born in Merced & still have some family in the area. They sent them to me for a while & now DH orders them.

/tricia

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

I prefer savory over sweet, but in spite of that I love fruit and veggies. However, I don't like fruit that's been changed into something sweeter than it naturally is. My sister likes to add sugar to strawberries. I don't understand why, but she doesn't think they're sweet enough on their own. To me, adding sugar ruins strawberries. I also don't like jams and jellies because they're too sweet. I'd rather have my biscuit plain or with a tiny bit of butter, but no jelly. The only dried fruit I like are dried cranberries, and I've just discovered I like dried apricots, because DH's cousin makes a killer oatmeal cookie with dried apricots, and they're the only oatmeal cookies I've ever liked. Most people ruin them with raisins. (Again, give me fresh grapes, but not raisins.) I'm planning on posting on the cook-a-thon about those cookies when I have more time.

Sally

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

I don't. The FDA is nuts. In a few years they will tell you something entirely different. If I ate like they say you should I would bigger than the side of the .... well you get my drift. Just be sensible with your diet and eat everything in moderation.

• jclepine
    15 years ago

I have to agree with all the posters here. The FDA will change its mind sooner or later.

As a fruit and veggie lover, I don't even eat that many! Actually, I don't count.

I think a great way is to add veggies and fruits in to what you are already eating. If you are having pasta, sauce is already full! But, you can just dice up a zuchini, put half of that in, save the other half of cut zuchini in a ziplock for the next day, and call that a full day's worth of veggies and fruit! Remember, tomatoes are fruits so sauce is a great way for those who don't like sweet fruits to get some in their diets.

I also drink only "real" juices. I end up paying more for them than I would for the other kind that is too clear and sweet, but I know I'm getting some servings in that way.

If you bake desserts, add dates or raisins. Soups work wonders for adding up the veggies.

Since we don't eat sweet desserts, we usually have plain yoghurt with fruit. Pitted cherries are a favourite, blueberries are too. Fresh or frozen works great!

We try not to count.

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have to say I'm a little surprised at the anti-UDSA or FDA sentiment here. Yes, their recommendations change as new research and developments come about, but is that grounds to question whether their recommendations are based on the most current, sound findings? I'm in my forties, and in my recollection there have been slight changes in emphasizing fruit and vegetables more than grains once were, but overall the pyramid hasn't changed a whole lot. Yes, we can cite individual examples, like the egg which was once good for you then bad, and now ok in moderation. But overall, I don't think there's been a particularly contradictory statement, at least not in my lifetime.

At this point I have no reason to believe that the USDA's re-evaluation of their nutritional recommendations every five years has any other motive than to promote the best standard of living based on current science. Am I being naiive?

The counter-argument that I find the most absurd is that we're living longer than ever before. Yes we are, but don't you think that's because of medicine and DESPITE our diets, not DUE to our diets?

• rosecmd
    15 years ago

I agree with foodonastump, the USDA mypyramid guidelines are research based, and guidelines for servings from different food groups that will provide a healthy diet for most people. Adults should aim to get 2 cups of fruit and 3 cups of veggies each day. Sounds like a lot, but it's not if you make the effort to include fruits and/or veggies at each meal or snack. We (or much of the US population) sure eat lots of other stuff each day - snack foods, fast foods, desserts, drinks, meat, cereal, whatever - and in large quantities for many people, that's why so many people are overweight. Most people are not used to eating that many servings of fruits & vegetables, but it could break down like this:

breakfast: 4-6 oz oj & a large banana (there is 1 1/2 servings right there) along with whatever else you eat

lunch: one cup pepper strips, carrot slices, & cucumbers
    with your sandwich that has lettuce & tomato, or a large bowl of vegetable soup (homemade to get lots of veggies)

snack: small apple or some other kind of fruit

dinner: half your plate should be vegetables...so two one cup servings of some kind of veggie -- vegetables fill you up so there is theoretically less room for the heavier stuff. One cup of veggies is really not that much. A 1/2 cup serving is quite small.

I have a fruit/protein smoothie most days for breakfast:

1/2 - 1 banana
    ~1/2 cup each frozen mango & blackberries or blueberries
    ~1/2 cups 1% milk
    1 scoop protein powder (blueberries & cream Spirutein mostly)
    ~1 TBSP ground flax

Whiz it up in the blender, it's great and I'm done with most of my fruit for breakfast.

Today was a bad fruit & veggie day for me...we had blueberry whole grain pancakes for breakfast w/scrambled eggs & ham & I did have ~8oz tangerine juice. But then I went to my friends 50th birthday party for most of the afternoon and they had lots of food (protein & starch - a great caterer but I'm not sure why they didn't suggest some better menu planning) but not a fruit or veggie in sight! Lots of wine too. I will not have dinner as I]m really pretty stuffed. This is an unusual day for me, and I will get back on a more healthy track tomorrow.

• susytwo
    15 years ago

We love fruits and veggies so it's not hard to do. We start off most days with a big fruit smoothie. We also buy a vegetable/fruit juice which DS gets minimally once a day in his lunch. And we try to have 2 servings of veggies with dinner.

But this is just normal eating habits for us. I'm not consciously trying to meet any standards.