SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bdl99

Advice with poor performance from new(ish) AC system

bdl99
15 years ago

Background (please excuse me if I use any wrong terms):

We have two systems in our basement one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

The house is ~20 years old.

Every year as the hot weather approaches we typically have problems (probably nothing unusual there, especially give the age of the house)

Two years ago we had the condenser feeding the upstairs unit replaced

Last year we had problems again with the unit feeding upstairs and rather than just replace the coil we replaced the whole unit including the furnace.

So now we basically have one original system feeding downstairs and one 1-2 years old system feeding upstairs.

Current position:

Yesterday we had our first real warm weather of the year (90+ degrees) and the downstairs system was performing fine.

The upstairs however was still 80 degrees in the evening with the air coming from the vents probably 70 degrees (this was around 8pm and outside temperature had dropped to about 70 degrees). I know the upstairs system has to work harder because heat rises and because the ducting is longer but still wonder what the problem.

Comparing the two systems in the basement:

-The ducting on the older unit is cold to the touch where as the new system is cool to the touch but certainly not cold

-On the old system with the pipes from the condenser one is warm and the other cold on the new system I would say they are room temperature.

-The fans are running on both condensers outside the air coming from downstairs one is noticeably warmer than the new system.

From what IÂve read it sounds like the system is low on coolant, could it be anything else? The only thing that hasnÂt been replaced is the pipes running from the condenser to unit in the basement.

My problem is that the system is covered by a home warranty and every time we call them out they typically do the minimum collect the callout fee and leave. IÂm assuming that if I call them they will come top up the system and leave and I really want to get to the bottom of the problem. If the coolant needs topping up IÂm assuming it is leaking somewhere.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths