SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
commok_gw

Replacing A/C, should I keep the furnace and radiators?

commok
12 years ago

We are closing on a "new old house" next week, and the a/c and furnace are at the end of their useful life according to the home inspector. The house is a 2300sqft brick ranch with a full basement, now half-finished. The house is in the No Virginia suburbs, and was built in 1960's. The original windows will be replaced, and the attic insulation will be increased. We will likely live in this home for 5-10 years. The house currently has hot water radiators in every main level room, and of course registers for the a/c. I am going to finish the basement, and would like to complete all duct work and, if we go that way, removing the water pipes for the radiators before I start the basement finishing. I have contractors coming by the week after next to give me their thoughts on what to do, but I am leaning towards replacing the a/c unit with a heat pump. The question is should I replace the a/c with a heat pump and then remove the radiators in the rooms, or install a HP and keep the radiators and furnace/boiler, and use for the really cold days... I have read this forum extensively, and it seems to me the smart thing is to replace the a/c with a heat pump since the additional cost is relatively small, but I am stuck on what to do with the furnace/boiler and the radiators. Frankly, I've never lived in a home with radiators, and was initially put off by the space they take up and the impact they have on furniture placement... But, if they are really the way to go, I will gladly learn to live with them. Thanks for your advice!

Comments (9)