SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhinoguy_gw

replace dead furnace with new and add A/C

rhinoguy
16 years ago

My 75,000 BTU furnace has gotten unreliable and the repairs are getting too high. I want to replace it with a 90+% furnace and add A/C for the first time.

Should I look for a single box unit (outdoors) and hook it to the existing ductwork?

Should I get a furnace and put an evaporator in the existing plenum box (sits on top of furnace, one hose coming out)?

I have a lot of experience fixing furnaces, against my better judgment, including replacing fireboxes. I can easily install the thirty amp power source. I am familiar with natural gas connections and soapy water leak checks.

The house is well insulated and the 75K furnace has always been adequate, I will use that as my sizing. House is brick surrounded by large trees, in North Carolina.

My furnace is currently out, the house is being heated easily by a large vented kerosene heater. The only A/C is three window units, 5K in bedroom, 6K in bedroom, 22K in living room. Freezes the joint on high!

I plan to do everything myself except the refrigerant. I have tools!

What have I overlooked besides: Who will sell me a good unit without telling DHS? Jeez, you'd think every home installation of a furnace-A/C resulted in a call to the FBI!

Comments (5)