SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctaylors6_gw

need to replace A/C in Dallas, maybe furnace, other questions too

ctaylors6
14 years ago

Im in Dallas TX. Our 1995 Carrier condenser died a few days ago. WeÂre gathering quotes but I had a few questions in the interim. I promise to post again after receiving quotes. :)

Little background. We have 2 systems, 1 for upstairs and 1 for down. House is 3400 SF, up and down are about same SF. We had an energy audit done last month, including a Manual J calculation. We are replacing the upstairs unit. (I can post the Manual J results, but itÂs two pages long and am not sure which numbers are most relevant. I know they said upstairs is oversized by about 1/2 ton.)

The energy audit showed 50% duct leakage in the upstairs system (currently very old flex duct). The equipment and flex duct is located in a currently unconditioned attic. The insulation is pitiful (probably R10 25 Âyear-old rockwool on attic floor) and thereÂs tons of leakage between the attic and second floor below. Our city code requires rigid metal duct, and no chance of exception (I asked already,and so did A/C companies). The south side of our house gets lots of direct sun at hot part of day, so master bedroom there stays warm in summer, especially compared to rest of upstairs. ThatÂs a pretty big concern. Our electric bills are high from May to September, $475/month up to just under $700/month.

My husband loves spray foam, and the estimates have been acceptable to me, so weÂre going to seal up attic and spray foam underside of rafters. IÂve been told that requires a high efficiency furnace (95% or 96%).

Our average fuel costs for past year are 12.53/kwh and 12.074/MCF. I used the fuel cost comparison website IÂve seen posted here and came up with the following cost per 100,000 Btu:

Heat pump: 2.16

Natural gas: 1.43

According to our usual HVAC repair company, the evaporator coil has an irreparable leak in the tube sheet (I think thatÂs what they said in March). They added freon but said it probably didnÂt make sense to replace the coil with a freon one, but rather to replace with the puron system. Of course the condenser going out made that decision easy. The furnace is a 2001 Trane 80% efficiency, under warranty until March 2011.

So hereÂs what weÂre thinking as a general plan. Please tell me what does or doesnÂt make sense.

1. Replace the furnace even though still under warranty. Is that a waste? WeÂre thinking the way to go, especially since weÂre most likely spray foaming, is to replace the furnace along with A/C system. We could choose to not replace the furnace and not spray foam. WeÂd rather save a little money getting 16 SEER instead of 21 seer and use some of that $ to spray foam. WeÂll get a 95%/96% furnace with variable speed fan (which I understand is good for the air conditioning too). I donÂt know yet about whether weÂd get single or two stage burner. Seems like I might not have a choice  the 95%/96% furnaces seem to all be at least 2 stage.

2. WeÂre planning to replace 100% of the ductwork too, which will be on the expensive side since itÂs metal. WeÂll make sure to get the manual D calculation done for that.

3. I looked into the heat pump, but with the spray foam (ie need 96% furnace) and the relatively low natural gas costs, I ruled it out. Should I rule it back in?

4. For A/C from what I read we should get a scroll compressor thatÂs either one or two stage. Any guidance here would be great. ItÂs so hot here for so many days of the year, I really want to get the A/C right. I donÂt think itÂs too humid but I grew up much closer to gulf coast so maybe itÂs just my perspective. :) I know the humidity is very low in our house in the winter (in fact, thatÂs a problem with current system).

WeÂre getting quotes on Carrier, Trane, Rheem, and Lennox. One place already gave us quotes on Amana and Carrier, but IÂm assuming theyÂre very high (if not weÂre pretty doomed) Â Carrier Infinity 21, 96% furnace, Infinity controller, permits, connections, new furnace venting, new concrete pad, other misc. stuff like drain pan, $15,500 PLUS 100% new ductwork for supplies and returns, including duct insulation, moving registers as needed, drywall/painting needed, for $14,000.

We have others coming out the next few days to give us quotes. WeÂre okay with one A/C system working but need to do this fairly quickly (104 degrees today!!). IÂd appreciate so much any guidance anyone can provide. I donÂt want to ask the wrong questions of the contractors giving estimates this week or go in a wrong direction, especially given our timeframe. Thanks!!

Comments (5)