SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sss2008

HVAC Replacement: Furnace and Heat Pump Questions

sss2008
16 years ago

Before I start, I thank you for reading this and appreciate any help and comments.

It's time for me to look at replacing my furnace/AC. I live in Omaha, Nebraska. Currently, I have an old Carrier brand furnace and AC. Furnace is Carrier Model #58GS125-3 02/85, 23 years old. AC is Carrier Model #38TK048310DL 02/91, 17 years old.

Recently, I've got a quote for an Everrest (I hear they are the same as Goodman) 2-stage 80% AFUE, and an Everrest 13 SEER/8.6 HSPF Heat Pump. The quote was 6957 after our local Electric Company's rebate of 250 for the heat pump.

Do you think this is a good setup/price? The person didn't tell me what BTU the furnace will be. He thinks it'll be 90,000 BTU.

I had another quote for just a furnace back in 10/2006. It was for a Lennox Furnace Model #G61MPV-60C-090. 2-stage furnace with variable speed blower rated at 88,000 BTU on high, and 60,000 low with 94.6% AFUE. They were also adding a Lennox Healthy Climate Air Cleaner with 16MERV. The quote was for 6115. I felt it was too high, so I didn't go through with it.

I had another contractor come look today, and he wanted to put in a 10,000 BTU furnace and a 13 SEER Rheem Heat Pump. He didn't give me a quote yet, but he said it would be between 5000-8000 depending on what I wanted. I asked him how much for just a 95% efficiency furnace, and he said maybe 2200-2300. My friend just put a Goodman 95% furnace in for 2500. I'm thinking that puts the heat pump at 5700 or so considering the high end of the range. I should find out more tomorrow.

I have many questions here:

1) Should I get a heat pump? If so, is 13 SEER enough, or should I go higher? From cost savings, looks like 13 is plenty.

2) Should I just replace the furnace and do the heat pump later?

3) Should I get a 95% AFUE or is 80% enough? what would be a reasonable cost difference on going from 80 to 95%?

4) I have a room upstairs that's not getting enough air, will the new HVAC help?

5) Do most contractors do Manual J Load Calc? All the contractors I've seen so far have yet done one. One measured all the windows, but that's about it.

What would be the optimal setup for the least amount of dollars?

Again, thanks for your time.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!