SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

HVAC question - heat pump or furnace?

athensmomof3
13 years ago

I am trying to figure out what we will do about our HVAC. Our builder priced exclusively heat pumps, from low to high seer. We have a friend who owns a local HVAC company and asked them for a quote as well. They priced a heat pump and a a/c and furnace combo of varying efficiencies. This has generated a couple of questions.

I am pretty biased against heat pumps, generally, having had one in my first house. I installed the heat pump in the house (which had had window units), and it was a 1930s drafty old house with single paned putty windows. It was also tiny (1100 square feet). I remember it being very expensive to run. I am sure it was the bottom of the line and it was 20 years ago but the cost of electricity concerns me. Natural gas in our area is cheap.

I also am not worried about the "green" aspects of the heat pump because in Georgia most of the electricity is generated by coal so NG is actually a greener choice in many respects.

So, from a cost standpoint, will a heat pump actually cost less? Or am I better off with a a/c furnace combo?

The local hvac guy we talked to seemed to think the "sweet spot" for SEER was 15. . . Any thoughts on that? Or calculators (must be easy to operate!) that will let me know the savings/payback of these choices?

Finally, he had a couple of options for furnaces. I think one was 80 percent efficiency and one was 90 percent. Which one is better (mild climate in north Georgia)?

Comments (14)