SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ben2ee

Smartest New Construction HVAC - Modulating Heat Pump vs Ecobee

Ben H
6 years ago

I'm looking for guidance for a new home HVAC system for central Oregon (high and dry). On one end are the top of the line modulating heat pumps such as Carrier Geenspeed, American Standard Accucomfort which can theoretically reduce on/off cycling of the unit to maintain even heating/cooling in a multi zone system. The downside seems to be high cost (more than I could ever save on my heating bill), complexity (more than one repair person horror stories), and my low confidence that these companies can produce good software. These systems don't seem to have changed in recent years either. Baffling in a world of rapidly improving technology. The controls on the carrier proprietary systems are far more than an Ecobee. Makes my wince to purchase a proprietary system.

Mitsubishi makes what looks like a more modern "Diamond" heat pump that works well below the others in temperature. I had one in Seattle but it gets far colder here East of the mountains in Oregon. Even in Seattle, our Mitsubishi took quite a while to heat our house back to comfortable. You can get electric backup heating for it for the extreme cold days. Not sure how well that setup works.

Ecobee is smart but doesn't do variable speed integration. That said, maybe I can save the multiple $k extra cost of the variable speed unit and get a far cheaper far simpler heat pump/furnace setup that works less efficiently but more reliably. I know Ecobee is multi-zone capable just not sure how well multi-zone works without variable speed. I know there are bypass setups to get around overcapacity.

Comments (10)