SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dohcser

help: new hvac or add heat pump

dohcser
15 years ago

First I would like to let you all know I am a newbie.

Things to Consider:

House is a Modular 2 story with walk out basement and J Load measurements are measures on 1350sq/ft living area.

I currently have a Rheem Oil Furnace with the ducting for central air, however I do not have central air.

Secondly due to the economy a very identical house next to mine (same features, sq footage, etc) is now selling for $60K less than what I paid.

I was planning to stay in my house for another 5 years however that is not certain.

If I do stay in my house passed 5 years I would like to extend above my garage which is about 20' X 24'

I originally started looking for just a central air addition. I received quotes from Carrier, Lennox and Trane.

The last quote I received was from a Trane dealer who took the time to do the J load and talk about my options. He stated that I am looking at a 2 Ton system, however if I build over the garage I am at a 2.5 Ton.

Delima:

Option 1. First option is to do a Trane Single Stage (XL14i) add on to my existing furnace, which is about 1/3 the price of my second option.

Option 2. Put in a new Trane Furnace XV90, with XL16i, and Honeywell IAQ.

If I were to build over the garage then I would have to consider the XL14i 2.5 Tons, or if i go with option 2 I would have to go with a 3 Ton as the XL16i does not do .5 increments.

I currently pay $400 yearly for a service contract to maintain my existing Oil Furnace, if I go with Option 2 then I am covered 10yrs parts and labor, but this HVAC company has a $200 yearly maintenance option that I would consider.

I know this is alot of information but I cannot make up my mind if to go with Option 1 or 2, and if so should I get a 2.5 Ton (Option 1) or 3Ton (Option 2).

To be fair the HVAC company is strongly recommending a 2 TON system as he stated that customers usually don't get around to their "home improvement" and I would suffer from an oversized unit.

Comment (1)