SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garyj73167

HVAC Air to Air Heat Pump

garyj73167
15 years ago

I am hoping someone in this Forum will be able to help me, because, I just bought a house recently and am very confused on choosing a heating system.

My wife and I purchased a house in northeastern Pennsylvania, and, along with many others, we do not want to pay the high costs of Oil, Gas or Electric heat.

It is a very small house totaling of only about 1000 square feet (1 floor ranch style) with a fireplace. We are thinking that it shouldn't be that bad to heat this house (after choosing an alternate source of heat). It currently has electric heat which is VERY expensive (Well, for us it is).

We are in a very fortunate situation right now, because, after we fixed up the house the way we wanted, spent the money on closing costs/down payment, got our furniture,..etc...etc.. we are now left with $12,000.00 to spend on a new heating system :)

So, the first thing we did was get an estimate on Geo-Thermal heating. ($22,000.00) Unfortunately, that was way out of our range.

The company that gave us the estimate for the GeoThermal also suggested an "Air to Air Heat Pump System" ($7,150.00) if the GeoThermal was out of our price range.

Now, the Air to Air Heat Pump system is definitely in our price range, but, before wasting money, I was wondering if someone here can answer some questions for me. I tried to ask the guy that is selling the system, but, he is most likely going to tell me what I want to hear to make the sale:

1 - Is the electric use of an Air to Air heat pump going to be just as bad as just using my electric heat? In other words, will the new system be much more efficient? I would hate to spend close to 10 grand to find out I'm really not making much of a saving.

2 - In Northeastern Pennsylvania, it becomes very cold from Late December until about early May. Average temps about 15-25 degrees. Are these systems designed for a climate like that?

I have the exact model number (the quote) in front of me if anyone needs that info to assist in my decision.

Our minds are open to any alternate heating system that will save us money. It is not like our heart is set on this Air to Air heat pump. We just want to make sure if we spend the money on the system, that the saving will be substantial. So, if anyone sees the explanation of our setup, and, has any ideas, please share :)

One thing he told me that stuck with me was, if the temp should drop below 0 degrees (sometimes it does here) that an electric heater in the Air to Air system kicks in. Kinda scary being that electric heat is what were trying to avoid right now.

Any help that anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated, and, if any other info is needed, feel free to ask. As I stated earlier, we have 12k to work with, so, I want to take advantage and put it to something worth it for the money :)

Gary in PA

Comments (7)