SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glazedover_gw

New A/C - - - Replace Furnace?

glazedover
16 years ago

We live in Denver, CO, in a 1986 built house; about 2550 SF main and second stories. The front of our house faces east, the back west with lots of 1986 windows. We have lived here for four years and will probably stay another 10 to 15 years.

We currently have a Lennox combustion furnace "dimension series" G-32 installed in 2000. Up to now we have depended on an evaporative cooler in the summer, but my husband wants A/C. We've received a couple of quotes to add A/C; one is a Lennox XC15-042 3.5 ton 14 seer unit, the other is an American Standard 3.5 ton 14 seer unit (no model number indicated on the bid). The prices are identical. My husband wants to replace our current furnace at the same time with one that is more efficient; 95% VS 90%.

The Lennox dealer thought this was a good idea (duh!) suggesting the higher efficient furnace, G71P series with a variable speed fan would also be better for air circulation with the A/C. The American Standard dealer (who, by the way installed the current furnace fore the previous house owners) was negative about Lennox customer service indicating that if there was a problem on the weekend, they could not even contact the parts department until Monday.

I am loathe to spend another five to six thousand dollars to replace a furnace that could last another 12 years. Any recommendations?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths