SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kgwlisa

reform temple dress etiquette

kgwlisa
13 years ago

I've seen lots of great fashion advice given here and I've googled this one and can't seem to find the convention... I'd ask my MIL but she is really really not a fashion maven AT ALL so I am hoping someone around here might know the answer.

I am not a member of a temple myself nor is my husband, but my inlaws are and are having an aufruf for my BIL one weekend in August. We generally go to their temple during the high holy days (in the fall) and I always tend to wear slacks then, but I have had my eye on a denim skirt (it's not a hoochie denim skirt, it's a pencil skirt that comes below the knee in a very dark wash denim) and this event would send me over the edge in justifying the purchase.

BUT it's august and the hottest summer in recent memory (the skirt is kind of a light weight denim though) and I know that bare legs are "in" from a fashion sense... the way I envisioned wearing this skirt was bare legged and with sandals (to the other events I need to wear it to). Is that just TOTALLY inappropriate in a temple given that the skirt is a bit below the knee? Would I need to wear some kind of hose/tights and closed toed shoes even though it's August for the sake of decorum?

Thanks for any help. It's been like a decade since I've worn a skirt but I've lost a bunch of weight recently and am feeling the urge! But I'm still losing so I need to have enough things to wear this skirt I have my eye on to justify the purchase when I'm hoping it will be too big at some point!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida