SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

Lentils, beans and rice, please post T&T recipes

loves2cook4six
14 years ago

UGGH!! Weightloss.

I am seeing a new doc and he wants me to add lentils, beans and rice to my diet, cut back on wheat, and lower my animal source protein.

I like this guy. I am leaning towards eating like this anyways so now I have the official word when dh wants to know where his "meat" and potatoes have gone LOL

Yesterday I picked up some brown lentils at whole foods, i have lots of rice and a few kinds of beans.

I'm looking for some tried and true vegetarian recipes to try so if you have any your family loves, please share.

Comments (46)

• lindac
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I guess my favorite is Cowboy Caviar....there are many variations, but it's black beans, corn, some sweet onion, chopped red pepper, with a little oil and vinegar and cilantro....maybe a chopped jalapeno too if you like.
    and then there's hummus....with a stalk of celery, it'
    s pretty good diet food.
    Start off byw ashing the brown lentils and cooking them in chicken broth to cover until they are done....about 35 to 40 minutes.
    Then when you know what they taste like you can think about adding lemon or onion or garlic, tomatoes, curry etc...
    You do know there is a vegitatian recipe exchange on this site don't you?
    As for rice....just cook up a lot of brown rice and then work on it for a couple of days, stir fry some with assorted veggies, maybe bits of leftover meat....and some soy sauce or even fish sauce. Beat up an egg and add to about 2 cups of cooked rice...sort of holds it together.
    I don't make vegetarian recipes....but I do cook vegetarian now and then.
    And might I say....good for you!!
    Linda c

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

Don't forget the Beano!

• Related Discussions

rice beans

Q

Comments (19)
    This post will be a little OT, but to reply to some previous comments... I earlier missed the question about bean books. I agree with Llaz's recommendation of "Growing and Cooking Beans" by John Withee. It has been recently reprinted, and is available from the Seed Savers exchange... to whom he gave his bean collection. Another good book is "The Bean Bible, A Legumaniac's Guide to Lentils, Peas, and Every Edible Bean on the Planet!" by Aliza Green. A rather pompous title... especially given that it does not cover beans of the tropics, such as the one we are discussing. It does a great job, however, of covering legumes common to the Temperate zones. Tons of bean recipes. While not strictly about beans, I highly recommend William Weaver's book "Heirloom Vegetable Gardening". He devotes considerable time to the history of many heirloom beans... and then goes on to discuss all common vegetables, and many uncommon ones. One of the most enjoyable & educational garden books I have ever read. No intention of writing a book of my own. ;-) Happy, ECHO is a source for quite a few hard-to-find seeds including pigeon peas (another short-day legume). I buy Winged Bean & Moringa from them each year. The photo of ECHO's Nunas is especially intriguing, showing such rich diversity. The various beans might have been combined for the photo, but I've seen more than one photo of Andean crops (usually of root crops) with different types & colors planted & harvested together. We, on the other hand, are really obsessed with separating things by their differences. Strikes me as a commentary on our culture... a topic for another place.
    ...See More

Looking for the best baby beluga (lentil) recipe!

Q

Comments (8)
    Well, I made a nice chili this weekend, using the three types pictured at top. Very nice and filling, but not especially pretty. I also made a lentil salad (first time) with diced red and yellow peppers and both the green and the white parts of green onions, and a vinagrette of olive oil and lemon balsamic vinegar. Very pretty! The lentils lost a lot of the black color, and were more dark brown, but the diced veggies glowed like little jewels. (You have expected it to be sweet, and the peppers actually were.) Lousy photo with my cell phone:
    ...See More

T&T: Chili Recipe

Q

Comments (16)
    My chili can't have any powder in it. No chili powder, no garlic powder, no onion powder. It has to have the real stuff.... peppers, galic, and onions. Tomatoes are the key to good chili. No good tomatoes and no good chili can result. Different types of tomato give a whole different character to chili. Yellow tomatoes make a sweet chili and reds more sour. Very ripe tomatoes cook down into juice and greener ones stay chunky longer. Peppers cover a huge flavor spectrum. At the moment I have potted jalapeno, cayenne, and habenera growing in my kitchen. I have two cultivars of habenera... the Burpee hab and the Red Savina. Not happy with my Red Savinas and will be growing another red cultivar next year. The orange Burpee habeneras are nice... tangy with plenty of heat. Jalapenos go in my chili not so much for heat as for green pepper flavor. Pepper "bite" will cook down over time to warm flavor tones. Sometimes I add a couple jalapenos at the end of the cooking to put a little bite back into the flavor. Habeneras have a fairly mean bite so they have to be cooked down some... for most people that is. Onions come in several types. Mostly I look at when they go in. In early and they cook down to become a sweet flavor. Late and they stay hot and crunchy. Hard to beat fresh garlic but again cooking time will blunt the flavor. A big part of garlic flavor is the smell and that is lost over time. Cumin is essential but more is not always better. An excessive amount can take on a bitter tone. Old cumin is often bitter to me. Usually the best is whole seed that is cracked and cooked awhile. Many here rightly advise toasting the seed. As with garlic the essential oils are critical to cumin flavor. Cumin has to cook some to get the oil out but extended cooking can cook off the delicious smell of cumin. Beans... red beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, black beans... they all give a different flavor. Mixing them up can have a cool visual affect. If you like paste style chili try adding refried beans... eat it with a fork. I frequently add cabbage. Cabbage adds lots of fiber, sweetness, and sometimes has a hot pepper like heat. I make a skillet chili that features crunchy cabbage and onions with very little liquid. So no I don't have a recipe for you. Hard to make bad chili if you work with good stuff. Add cumin, garlic, peppers at the start and again a few minutes towards the end of cooking. It will be the smell that draws people to it... if it smells good to them they will love eating it. I posted a beef heart version of my chili on the soup thread. It was excellent with a mild vension taste quality. I can get free cow parts so that was my motivation for using heart meat. Often I buy a bottom round roast and boil that in tomatoes until it falls apart... very thick meaty chili without any grain or starch thickeners. : ) lyra
    ...See More

RECIPE: Your T&T Cheese Enchilada Recipe Please

Q

Comments (1)
    Sapphires, I posted this recipe for you on the Cooking forum thread. Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table ================== Source: Southwest Cookbook Vegetable oil for frying 12 corn tortillas (6 inches) 1 1/2 cups (12 fl ounces) chileen Chili Sauce (recipe on page 195) 2 cups (8 ounces) grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese 3/4 cups finely chopped onion Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour vegetable oil into a medium , heavy skilled to depth of 1/2 inch. Heat the oil over medium high heat to 375°F, or until a strip of tortilla browns in 60 seconds. Soften the tortillas, one at a time, for about 5 seconds per side in the hot oil and drain on paper towels. Heat the green chili sauce in a shallow pan and dip each softened tortilla into the sauce. Place 1 coated tortilla on an oven proof plate and top with 1 tablespoons green cili sauce, 2 tablespoons grated cheese and 1 tablespoon chopped onion; repeat twice so that 1 serving contains 3 layered tortillas. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 4 tortilla stacks. Bake the stacks for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts. NOTE: Add cooked chicken and or pinto or black beans between layers. Green Chili Sauce 1 Jalapeno chili seeded and diced 1 garlic clove crushed 1/4 cup chopped green onions 4 tomatillos, husked and diced (or use canned) 1 1/2 cups chicken stock 2 new Mexico green or Anaheim chilies, roasted, peeled, cored, seeded and diced. 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice 1 tablespoon heavy cream salt and freshly ground pepper to taste In a medium saucepan, place the jalapeno , garlic, green onions, tomatillos and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat' reduce heat and simmer until theliquid is reduced to about 1 cup about 15 to 20 minutes. Pour the chicken stock misture into a blender or food processor. Add the Anaheim chilies, cilantrol and lime juice; puree until smooth. Add salt and pepper. Add the cream and mix again. Serve warm. Keep 1 to 2 days refrigerated. Servings: 4
    ...See More
  • beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

I think this is a Deborah Madison or Mollie Katzan recipe. The person who shared it with me didn't attribute it and I forgot to ask.

Chickpea-spinach Dal
    Yield: Serves three

Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds, lightly toasted and ground
    Salt, preferably kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1 cup chicken or vegetable stock, or water
    Cayenne to taste
    1 6-oz. bag baby spinach

Method:
    1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, about five minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, tomato paste and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring for one to two minutes, until fragrant and the tomato paste has turned a darker color. Add the chickpeas, the stock or water, and the cayenne, and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
    2. Stir in the spinach, a handful at a time, stirring until each addition of spinach wilts. Add salt to taste and simmer uncovered, stirring often, for five minutes. Add lots of freshly ground pepper, taste and adjust salt and cayenne, and serve.

Note: Another way to make this dish is to blanch the spinach separately in salted boiling water for 10 to 20 seconds. Transfer to a bowl of ice water, drain and squeeze dry. Add to the chickpeas as in step 2, but stir together for only two to three minutes.

Advance preparation: This can be made up to a day ahead and refrigerated, but when you reheat youll want to add a little more liquid. It can sit on top of the stove for a few hours.

C's Note: I've gotten about five meals out of this. It freezes well.
    Note: I've eliminated the onions and all tasted fine. Also, adding a can of good-quality, roasted tomatoes makes a more substantial dish. Serve over rice or with naan.

---
    Dal Makhani
    Serves: 5-6 people

This North Indian dal dish is made in a creamy, buttery, spiced sauce.
    It is most commonly served in Indian restaurants and can be eaten with any rice or flat bread.

Ingredients:
    1 cup urad dal whole, uncooked
    1/4 cup kidney beans, cooked
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 cinnamon stick (about 2-inch)
    1 tomato, chopped and minced
    1 onion, chopped and minced
    3 green chilies, minced
    1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped and minced
    1/2 inch ginger, minced
    1 tablespoon white poppy seeds, ground
    1 tablespoon garam masala
    4 cloves of garlic
    1 tablespoon cumin powder
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 1/2 cup half & half
    1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
    1 tablespoon ghee
    1 tablespoon paprika

Instructions:
    1. Boil urad dal, cinnamon stick and butter. Add kidney beans. Set aside.
    2. Warm ghee, add chopped tomatoes and onions and saute for 5 minutes. Add chilies, coriander leaves, ginger, white poppy seeds, garam masala, garlic and cumin powder. Saute for 2 minutes.
    3. Mix 1) with 2). Add half & half and salt. Boil for 1 minute. Add tamarind and paprika. Serve hot with breads.

Note: I've made this with 2% and with evaporated milk on various occasions and it's been fine.
    -------
    Not sure if pine nuts are allowed, but we really like this recipe from Linda (TN)
    Lebanese Spinach with Rice and Pine Nuts

2 cups uncooked rice
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 cup pine nuts
    1/2 large white onion, finely chopped
    3 cups fresh spinach, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

Servings: 6

Simmer the rice in 4 cups of water until the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender. In a medium pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and sauté the pine nuts over medium heat until golden. Set aside. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and sauté the chopped onion for 4 minutes. Add the spinach, mustard, pepper and salt, and sauté over medium heat for 12 minutes. In a large bowl, mix the rice, pine nuts and the spinach mixture. Sprinkle with the fresh lemon juice and serve hot.
    -----
    Not vegetarian, but good -- and you could probably create a vegetarian version.

PORTUGUESE BEAN STEW (FEIJAO A PORTUGUESA)
    Makes 6 servings.

1 lb dried navy or Great Northern beans, picked over
    1 lb sliced bacon
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    4 to 5 cups water
    1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
    1 lb Portuguese chouriço or Spanish chorizo (cured spicy pork sausage), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
    1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
    1 tablespoon paprika
    Soak beans in cold water to cover by 2 inches 8 hours.
    Cook bacon in a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Spoon off (and discard) all but about 3 tablespoons fat in pot. Cook onion in reserved fat over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until golden, 7 to 9 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until it begins to turn golden.
    Drain beans and add to onion mixture with remaining ingredients (except bacon). Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. (Older beans will take longer to cook and require more water during cooking.) Crumble bacon into beans and season with salt and pepper before serving.

Source: : David Leite. Gourmet December 2000

If your library has them, two cookbooks I recommend are Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone (Deborah Madison) and The Bold Vegetarian (Kirchner). Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian is good, too.

• Fori
    14 years ago

One of the few things my picky eater child eats that I make is Dearborn/Lebanese style lentil soup. It takes about 45 minutes:

2C red lentils
    7C water
    1 chopped onion

Cook about 30 minutes. Mix a few tbls flour (just to thicken; I'm sure it's skippable) with 1/4C olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin (~1 tbsp, but to taste), lemon juice (about 1 lemon's worth, but to taste). Temper with soup, mix in. Cook a little more, until squishy. Add more salt/pepper/cumin/lemon if needed. Serve with lemon wedges for lemon lovers.

• grainlady_ks
    14 years ago

WARM LENTIL AND CHICORY VINAIGRETTE

(serves 4)

Brown and green lentils are larger than the reddish-orange variety and hold their shape better for use in a salad. Cook the lentils until just tender to the bite. If you can't find green lentils, substitute the brown ones and cook them for less time.

1-1/3 c. green lentils, sorted and rinsed
    1 carrot, diced
    1 stalk celery, diced
    1 bay leaf
    1 T. red wine vinegar
    1/2 t. ground black pepper
    2 T. olive oil
    1/2 c. diced onions
    2 ounces lean smoked ham, cut into 1"x1/4" slivers
    1 pound chicory, thinly sliced (you can substitute other greens)
    1/4 c. defatted chicken stock

In a 3-quart saucepan, combine the lentils, carrots, clelery and bay leaf. Add cold water to cover by about 2". Bring to a boil over high heat. reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Drain; discard the bay leaf. Return the mixture to the pan.

In a cup, mix the vinegar, pepper and 1 T. oil. Drizzle over the lentils and toss lightly to mix. Set aside.

meanwhile, in a large no-stick frying pan over medium heat, warm the remaining 1 t. oil. Add the onions and ham. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Add the chicory and stock. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until the chicory is wilted. Add the lentils and toss lightly to mix.

[Grainlady note: This is one of those recipes that you make once and then find a lot of variations for it. I like to make the lentils, refrigerate them, and then serve them on a bed of fresh salad greens. You can add different vegetables as well as meats, or NO meat.]

-Grainlady

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

There was recently a cook-a-long featuring beans. I'll post a link to the thread. When I did a search and clicked on the link, it did strange things, making the thread look odd and ads to show up, so I hope this works.

Sally

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

SHORTCUT HEARTY BEAN SOUP

1/ 4 lb. cooked ham, in one piece
    2 medium-size celery stalks
    2 medium-size carrots, peeled
    1 medium-size onion, peeled
    1 medium size yellow squash (about 8 oz.) (can substitute zucchini)
    1 (40 oz.) can cooked Great Northern beans or 2 cans white kidney beans
    1 Tbs. olive oil
    1/ 2 tsp. dried basil leaves
    1/ 4 tsp. pepper
    1 (14 to 16 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
    1 cup fresh spinach, packed, stems removed, and chopped
    2 cups water
    Grated Parmesan cheese

Cut ham into 1/2 inch cubes, dice celery, thinly slice carrots, chop onion, and dice squash. Drain and rinse beans. Remove 1 ½ cups of beans to medium bowl and mash into a smooth paste with a fork or potato masher. In large pot, cook ham, celery, carrots, onion, and squash in oil over medium heat until vegetables are tender and begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in basil, pepper, tomatoes, chicken broth, spinach, bean paste, and water. Over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Stir in remaining beans; heat through. Add salt to taste. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese if desired.

Note: Ham can come from the deli section and spinach from the salad bar at the grocery store.

• jimster
    14 years ago

On a recent trip to Nicaragua i was introduced to Gallo Pinto, the most popular Nicaraguan dish. It is a simple dish which is eaten with any meal, breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is a simple everyday dish which does not become tiresome even if eaten more than once a day. It consists of rice and beans cooked in a way much like fried rice. In Nicaragua it is made with small red beans. In Costa Rica they use black beans. I like them both equally well.

Gallo Pinto (Spotted Rooster)

1. Cook equal amounts of rice and beans separately, reserving the bean liquid.

2. Fry chopped onion and chopped sweet pepper in a couple of tablespoons or so of oil.

3. Combine rice, beans, onions, peppers, salt to taste and cook for several minutes until everything is hot and well mixed.

4. Add some of the bean cooking liquid for moisture to your liking.

Jim

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I made this about a month ago and I loved it, your kids would probably like it too, the mango makes it slightly sweet.

Indian Mango Dal
    From EatingWell January/February 2010

More than 60 different types of dal (or dhal) are made across India. The basic dish contains lentils or other legumes flavored with aromatics and spices. Here, yellow lentils (toor dal) and mango are cooked in a more traditionally Southern India stylemore souplike. Both ripe and underripe mango will work: less-ripe mango imparts a tart flavor and holds its shape, while riper mango breaks down more during cooking and gives the dish a sweeter taste. Serve over basmati rice or with roasted chicken.

6 servings, about 1 cup each

1 cup yellow lentils
    4 cups water
    1 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1 medium onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 mangoes, peeled and diced
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1.Place lentils in a colander and rinse until the water runs clear. Combine lentils, 4 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and turmeric in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
    2.Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and cook until fragrant and starting to brown, about 30 seconds. Add onion; cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, coriander, cayenne and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
    3.Stir the garlic mixture and mangoes into the lentils. Return to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are falling apart, 10 to 15 minutes more. Stir in cilantro.

Per serving : 186 Calories; 3 g Fat; 2 g Mono; 9 g Protein; 9 g Fiber; 398 mg Sodium; 511 mg Potassium

1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat

I like this combination of black beans and pineapple, I don't eat a lot of fruit and I always try to find ways to add more fruit into my diet. I love veggies but not fruit so much...

Black Bean and Pineapple Enchiladas

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    1 large yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
    1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
    1 can (20 oz) pineapple tidbits in juice, drained, 1/3 cup juice reserved
    1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
    1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    3 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (12 oz)
    1 can (10 oz) mild enchilada sauce
    8 whole wheat flour tortillas (8 or 9 inch)
    1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    8 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in pineapple, beans, green chiles and salt. Cook and stir until thoroughly heated. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup cilantro and 2 cups of the cheese.
      2. Spoon and spread 1 tablespoon enchilada sauce onto each tortilla. Spoon about 3/4 cup vegetable mixture over sauce on each. Roll up tortillas; place seam side down in baking dish.
      3. In small bowl, mix reserved 1/3 cup pineapple juice and remaining enchilada sauce; pour over entire surface of enchiladas in dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Spray sheet of foil large enough to cover baking dish with cooking spray; place sprayed side down over baking dish and seal tightly.
      4. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, removing foil during last 5 to 10 minutes of baking, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. Top each baked enchilada with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 teaspoon cilantro.

this does have meat, it calls for Italian sausage and is amazing with good sausage, but it could easily stand up to those veggie crumbles or no meat at all. The recipes comes from Nancybc

Sweet Potato Chili
    1 Italian sausage- hot or sweet
    2 medium yams or sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
    2 onions chopped
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1 tablespoon chili powder ( I like Gebharts)
    1 teaspoon dried oregano ( try the mexican version)
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 28 oz can diced tomatoes w/ juice (try the fire roasted)
    1 19 oz can red kidney or black beans rinsed and drained
    salt to taste
    sugar if needed
    chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish if you like

Remove sausage from casing and brown in a heavy pan for about five minutes. Remove,pat sausage dry and return to pan. Stir onions and seasonings into sausage and cook over low heat for about 2 minutes. Spices will stick but just stir them around and do not add additional oil.
    Add everything else, bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender. This varies but can be 30-45 minutes or so. Taste to decide if the spices are to your liking and adjust if necessary.
    This freezes well!
    Enjoy!!

I know Lpinkmountain has a LOT of vegetarian recipes because she IS a vegetarian, I hope she chimes in here.

Annie

• lisazone6_ma
    14 years ago

My mother made this lentil "soup" that is really thick, more like a stew. As usual, I don't have a recipe but it really does not make one wit of difference with this dish as you can add more or less of anything you like. And I like it because it's quick, easy, and CHEAP!!

When I make things I usually make big batches and freeze some so I use a whole bag of lentils. I never paid attention but I assume they come in one pound bags. Anyway, I rinse the lentils and add them to a good sized stock pot and cover them with about 4 inches of cold water. Sometimes I use some chicken stock if I have any and if I want to beef it up, but most often I simply use water. And as it cooks if it's getting too thick you can always add more water or chicken stock. Add in a LOT of sliced garlic (less if you don't care for a strong garlic taste) - I usually use a half dozen or so good sized cloves. Then my mom always used the "heart" of a stalk of celery - the part with the leaves still on the stalks. Again - add as much or as little as you like, but that little bit of celery really does add something to the flavor. A bit of chopped onion if you like, salt and pepper to taste, then a small can of tomato paste. I like it thick, so I cook it down, then you can serve it as is with some nice grated parmesan, or sometimes I cook some ditalini pasta and add that to beef up the recipe. I usually use the pasta because I like it that way, but hubby likes it without. And for me, it has to be ditalini, but again, you can use what you like.

As I said, a bit of celery, garlic, onion and tomato paste, the lentils and water - if you're on a budget, this dish is tasty, filling, and goes a long way for very little money. Plus it's very healthy!!

Good luck with your meal plans! I'm trying to add more beans to my diet as well, but they're not my favorite, but certain dishes here and there are wonderful, so I'm always looking for more to add. Looks like you're getting some great ones here!

Lisa

• cotehele
    14 years ago

I can't say this is T & T because I just made it up Monday, but it is fast and quite good. I rarely use recipe for cooking. Sorry no measurements, just use what you like.

Saute onion and garlic in a little olive oil.
    Drain and rinse 1 can each of organic pinto beans and organic black beans.
    Stir in 1 small can of organic chipolte pepper roasted tomatoes.
    I threw in a couple of handfuls of frozen organic corn.
    Let it heat through and serve over Fritos or Spanish rice with any of the usual toppings you like. (lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, olives, avocado, cheese)

Judy

• shambo
    14 years ago

Annie, I've been wanting to try your dal recipe but I never have mangos on hand. I realize the mangos add that touch of sweetness, but do you think the dal would still be tasty without them? I do have some canned peaches that I need to use up. Do you think I could substitute them? Or maybe canned pineapple similar to the enchilada recipe you posted?

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

I do lots of beans, lentils, and rice for weight loss.

Rice I love. It fills me up and gives me energy to keep me pushing steel at work.

Rice: Half a 1 1/2 qt. sauce pan of cold water. Dump in jelly jar of white rice (jasmine, basamati, generic). One bay leaf if you have it. Bring water/rice mixture to just boiling. Cover and turn off the heat. In 20 minutes you have perfect no fuss rice. Fluff with fork.

Often I take that rice for lunch. A reusable microwave bowl about 3/4 full, shot of frozen veggies (asparagus blend?), open fridge door and dash rice/veggies with soy, hot, and fish sauce. A squirt of lemon juice and it is ready for lunch. At work I heat it in the microwave for a couple minutes and I have a cheap, filling, energy providing, tasty lunch.

That the rice cooks while sitting with the heat off really helps me. If I forget the time posting on GW and have to run out the door without my lunch it won't set the house on fire. Sometimes a bit of water will foam out on my glass cooktop. I've done this enough that I don't need to measure other then my jelly jar rice scoop. Keep my rice in a large tupperware type container that holds 5 lbs of dry rice.

Watch prices! Some stores charge double for a bag of rice. I like the 5lb Jasmine variety as it is cheap and mild.

If dieting don't be discouraged by the added bulk of these high fiber foods. You will look bigger but the calorie count has you on the road to being smaller. The extra fiber also helps you to feel full and not be hungry.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

shambo, I don't think the dal would be the same without the fruit, but I think pineapple would be really good, peaches maybe, although they aren't as assertive in flavor, especially when canned.

I never did find yellow lentils, so I just used brown ones, it wasn't as pretty but it was yummy.

Annie

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

I made this soup today.

Red Lentil Soup

3 cups red lentils, picked through and rinsed
    1 large yellow onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 inches of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
    3 stalks celery, diced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 cup white wine
    2 pods of cardamon seed, crushed in mortar and pestle
    1/2 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed in mortar and pestle
    1/2 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed in mortar and pestle
    1 teaspoon sweet chili powder
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
    2-3 bay leaves
    2 tablespoons chicken soup base
    6-7 cups of water
    (You could replace the water and chicken base with chicken stock.)

Saute onion, ginger, garlic, and celery in olive oil until onions and celery are soft. Add white wine. Add water, lentils, and remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer over low heat for 40 minutes until lentils are tender.

Remove bay leaves and puree in food processor until smooth and silky. Serve with a garnish of sour cream or plain yogurt and chopped pistachios.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I eat beans and rice every week. Easy ways--take a can or two of stewed tomatoes, chop up the tomatoes and thicken with some tomato paste, add italian seasoning, beans of choice (I use either cannelini, dark red kidney or garbanzo) and whatever sauteed veggies you like--I often add zuchinni to this, than a couple of dollops of lowfat cream cheese stirred in to make a sauce (go easy on this if you are dieting). Serve over rice or pasta, topped with parmesean. Can add chopped olives or mushrooms or eggplant for a further italian touch. Also can add a dash of red wine.

For lentils, I cook them in veg. bouillon and then simmer them with my favorite marinara sauce (I like the kind with mushrooms) and add to spaghetti that I break into three parts before cooking. Mix the lentils and sauce with the spaghetti and add a package of italian shredded cheese (or not if you're dieting) and then top with parm. or bread crumbs and bake at 375 for about 35 min. Add a dash or red wine to the sauce and call it lentils bourginon, if that's the kind of wine you have!

Another good easy one is sweet and sour lentils. Mix a sauteed onion, green or red pepper and can of unsweetened crushed pineapple with cooked lentils. Season with garlic, and cider vinegar mixed with brown sugar for the sweet and sour. Can add a dash of ground cloves, but a very small amount (I don't much care for cloves).

Lentil Stuffed Acorn or other round squash
    Mix cooked lentils and brown rice, sauteed onions and mushrooms and whatever other kind of vegetables you like (like sauteed red pepper, celery and/or carrots, or spinah for example) and then add some parm cheese and a dash of bouquet garni and garlic, and some cheese and stuff into halves of baked acorn squash and broil until cheese melts. You can add toasted sunflower seeds or walnuts to this too.

Rice Lentil and Spinach Pilaf

1/2 cup lentils cooked with one cup veg. bouillon (BTW, that's the ration for cooking lentils, double the amount of water or broth as lentils. I almost always cook my lentils in veggie broth made with bouillon).
    1 cup basmati rice cooked with 2 cups broth.(can cook rice and lentils together)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup diced tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes
    2 onions
    2 cloves garlic
    4 celery stalks or red pepper or green pepper
    2 tsp. cumin
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    3-4 cups spinach or other greens
    Grated zest of one lemon.
    Can add cubed squash or carrots, and can also use this as a stuffing for squash. Can add a handful of raisins.

Sautee veggies in olive oil til translucent. Mix in cooked lentils and rice.

Lentils and Potatoes with Curry (from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everyting Vegetarian" which I STRONGLY recommend you get for your new found diet)
    1 cup dried brown lentils
    3.5 cups water or coconut milk (I use a combo of water and lowfat coconut milk)
    1TBLSP curry powder
    2 med. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Can garnish with yogurt and/or cilantro

Partially cook lentils for 15 min in broth/coconut milk mixture. Add potatoes and cover the pot, cook for 10 min. more. Check to see that the mix isn't getting too dry, if it is add more liquid. Cover and continue cooking until lentils are soft, 10 min. or so more. The mixture should be moist but not soupy. Add salt and lots of pepper to taste. This is a very plain dish, I added spinach and you could also probably add broccoli although I can't vouch for that addition.

Beans and rice is the other classic dish, which I make by sauteeing whatever Mexican type veggies I have on hand along with some Adobo seaoning from Penzey's (Adobo is all the spices for chili except the chile, you can look up your own homeade recipes, but it is basically garlic, cumin and oregano), then add chili to taste. The veggies I most often use are squash and green peppers although celery and carrots work if you like them, and you can add some frozen corn, and scallions and fresh cilantro if you like it. Add a can of diced or stewed tomatoes too, and top with diced cheddar cheese if you like. The best beans I like for beans and rice are black beans but I also do pinto, red and kidney for this.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Don't forget to do a search for the bean cookalong from a couple of weeks ago. Lots of great recipes there.

Bean Cornbread Crockpot Casserole

1 med. onion, chopped
    1 med. green pepper (sautee and add at the end)
    2 cloves garlic or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1 16 oz. can kidney beans
    1 16 oz can pinto beans
    1 16 oz. can chopped tomatoes
    1 8 0z. can tomato sauce
    1 tsp. chili powder
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1/2 tsp. prepared mustard
    1/8 tsp. hot sauce or chopped jalepeno to taste

Mix all ingredients except green peppers together and put in the crockpot on low for 8 hours (no way do I do 8 hours in my hotter crokpot, for me it would be more like 5-6 hours. Add green pepper to the mix and cornbread topping for the last 1.5 hours. Green pepper gets bitter if you leave it in the crockpot for a long time.

Cornbread topping - add during last 1.5 hrs.

1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 cup all purpose flour
    2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 TBLSP sugar
    1 1/4 cups milk (can use soy milk)
    2 eggs
    3 TBLSP veg. oil
    1 can cream style corn - 8 oz.

Lightly grease crockpot. Add bean chili ingredients. Cook on low. Add topping last 1.5 hrs., cook on high from then on.

Hoppin' John Vegetarin style (serve over brown rice cooked in veggie broth)

1 can or frozen package blackeyed peas
    1/4 cup fake bacon bits
    3 cups water (if using frozen beans, not canned ones. This actually seems like a lot of water to me, I'd put in enought to just cover and then add more if necessary. Remember, if using canned beans you don't need the water)
    1 1/2 cups brown rice
    1 cup chopped onions
    1 sm. green pepper, chopped
    2 TBLSP olive oil
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/4 tsp. of cayenne or to taste
    1 bay leaf
    1 cup chopped tomatoes

Boil peans for 20 min. (if using frozen ones). Add other ingredients as peas cook. Sautee onion and green pepper and garlic in olive oil before adding. Add tomatoes at the very end, after peas are soft. If using canned peas, just saute veggies, add tomato sauce, peas and spices and stir in already cooked brown rice.

Zuni Vegetable stew (serve with cornbread)

3/4 cup chopped onion (1 med.)
    1 clove garlic
    2 TBLSP veg. oil (I almost always use olive)
    1 lg. sweet red pepper, cut into 2x1/2 inch strips
    2 med. sized chilis--poblano or anaheim, seeded
    1 jalepeno chili, seeded & chopped
    1 cup cubed hubbard or acorn squash (1/2 lb)
    2 cans chicken or vegetable brogh (2 cups bouillon)
    1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
    1/2 tsp. ground corriander
    1 cup thinly sliced zuchinni and yellow squash
    1 can 17 oz. whole kernel corn, drained (I buy frozen corn)
    1 can 16 oz. pinto beans.

Saute raw veggies until onion is transluscent. Add squash, broth and spices and beans and corn. Simmer uncovered until squash is tender, about 20-30 min.

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

I have to say my soup was delicious but ruined my day with an upset stomach. I really can't do legumes or was it the onion... I don't know. No more lentils for me. Ever, I think.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Here is my T&T recipe for lentils. It's easy, low calorie, and perfect for someone like me who isn't real fond of lentils. But some of the recipes above may change my mind!

Layered Lentils
    1 large bag of white peas
    1 large bag of red lentils
    1 large bag of green lentils

Layer lentils by color in decorative jar. Put top on jar and let sit for several years. NOTE: This recipe is flexable so you can vary the color of lentils according to taste.

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

Now that is a recipe I can really enjoy!

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Judy, I do a very similar quick supper/soup kind of thing that you do. I'll mix a can of black beans and a can of Chile Fixins Rotel together, sometimes adding some corn, sometimes adding 2 cans of beans, of any kind. I'll use the same method you do, with the onions and garlic. I'll add some chopped cilantro just before serving if I have some on hand. It's great with corn bread on the side.

Sally

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL Cathy. I LIKE it!!!

Annie, I made the dal recipe you posted. I went back to WF and got the orange lentils.

I've never had lentils before so wasn't sure what to expect. Both dh and I thought the flavour was dusty. The only thing I can think of is maybe my ground coriander was off. It's probably just past it's shelf life of 6 months so not sure if that would make a difference.

The kids didn't like it at all, but there is quite a lot there and I am planning on having it for lunch. Maybe the flavours have developed better overnight.

I used slightly under ripe mangoes and while I liked the taste of them there wasn't enough. So if I try it again, and I might once I get a new packet of coriander, I will use three mangoes.

Ok, so now can someone possibly describe the texture of cooked lentils. I am not sure what they should look or feel like so not sure if I am overcooking them. I did follow the recipe exactly but it seemed very mushy to me.

Thanks everyone else for all the recipes. I've printed the thread and plan on trying lots more of these recipes.

• saraemmasmom
    14 years ago

Here's one I recently tried from Country Living that my family liked.

Curried Spinach and Lentil Bake

1 cup chopped onion
    1 clove finely chopped garlic
    3 TBS. olive oil
    1 cup basmati rice
    2 tsp. curry powder
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. black pepper
    2 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach (thawed & liquid squeezed out)
    2 cups cooked brown lentils
    2 cans (13 1/2 oz.) coconut milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook onion and garlic in olive oil in a large heat proof skillet over medium-low heat until translucent. Stir in rice, curry powder, salt and pepper; cook 2 more minutes. Add spinach, lentils and coconut milk. Cover and bake, 30 to 40 minutes.

Dale

• jimster
    14 years ago

I can't describe the texture of cooked lentils except to say they should have some texture, not be just a mush.

Most legume recipes call for too much cooking, in my opinion anyway. I start checking on them at about half the stated cooking time and often find they are done, to my tasted, soon after that. Lentils especially are very fast cooking.

Getting just the right amount of liquid in the final dish, not too little, not too much, also makes a great deal of difference in the mouth feel.

Legumes can be delightfully appetizing or not depending on how much care is taken in cooking them.

Jim

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

L2C46, if you search "lentils" you can probably find the discussion we had a few months back about optimizing the taste of lentils. I like the taste, but many people describe it as "earthy" to be kind, or "muddy" or "dusty" to be not so kind. I have found that the best way to combat this is to pair lentils with something tangy, like citrus/pineapple and vinegar for sweet and sour lentils, or tomatoes or red wine for italian style, or tangy greens. Can also add a dash of balsamic vinegar to the lentils when they are done cooking. DO NOT ADD ACID TO BEANS WHEN THEY ARE COOKING. This will toughen the skins and the beans won't ever get soft . . . ever! Add the salt and acid after the beans have cooked

Lentils cook in anywhere to 30 min. to an hour depending on how many you are cooking. 45 min. is about how long it takes me, I usually cook up one cup lentils and two cups water. I cook my lentils usually in weak vegetable broth. They are done when they are soft but not mushy. Smaller lentils like red lentils will get mushy no matter what, the recipes using them highlight this quality. Another way of looking at "mushy" is "creamy" which is why I like red lentils in curries. They also have less of an "earthy" taste than brown lentils, but let's face it, they look like mud. That's another reason to doll up these curries with some firm, lightly cooked bright vegetables.

Barnmom maybe you have a touch of the flu. My students are dropping like flies from it, stomach variety.

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

Sadly, Lpink, I simply can't eat beans. Sigh. Lentils are the worst offenders. I like beans for the most part and tempt fate now and then. I always suffer. My suffering continues today.

Those red lentils were so pretty too, like a gathering of vermilion polka dots.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I don't ever buy fresh mangos. You might be able to find dried ones. I am lucky we have several fantastic markets here with lots of options.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

L2C46, I'd definitely add more mangoes. And as Jim mentioned, lentils shouldn't be "mushy". Mine often are, as I get distracted and overcook them, but I don't mind it or I'd pay more attention to them.

"dusty"? Well, I like beets and many posters have said they think they taste like dirt, LOL, so maybe I just like the dirt flavor. (grin) I like lentils, and all kinds of dried beans and peas, but you definitely have to like them, they have a flavor and texture all their own.

Annie

• jimster
    14 years ago

I defer to lpinkmountain on the subject of mushy texture of lentils. She has more experience than I. I stand by what I said though so far as it applies to cooking beans.

"I like the taste, but many people describe it as "earthy" to be kind, or "muddy" or "dusty" to be not so kind."

Yep. Beets, mushrooms and truffles are also said to taste "earthy". Oh well.

Jim

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I don't find the taste bad. Beets, mushrooms and lentils are among my most favorite foods. And yes, you can cook non-mushy lentils. But if, g-d forbid, I end up with mushy lentils, (sad but it happens occasionally) I still eat them with relish! ;)

I also love a shot of cider vinegar and greens in my beet soup! But I like them with butter and salt too! Funny, but about the only way I don't like lentils is with sausage or ham, which is the way meat eaters compensate for the earthy taste. But I do like a smokey taste with pea soup (which I get with fake meat) so go figure. As always, your mileage may vary. Being as busy as I am, I burn and overcook things routinely! That's why if I always try to make extra when it comes to beans and rice. If I do manage to finesse it just right I freeze the extra for convenience.

• cooksnsews
    14 years ago

I made jimster's Gallo Pinto yesterday for supper, and it was a winner! A great vehicle for adding whatever veg is handy.

Also tried Dal Mahkani earlier in the week, but a simpler, less rich (only a couple of tbsp of cream required) version than beanthere's. I didn't have the black lentils my recipe specified, but I must have at least 4 other varieties so I used what I had. Yum!

Mind you, the kiddoes weren't nearly as impressed as DH and I were. The almost-21yo DS complained about having to eat "diet food", as he is trying to bulk up. Oh, to be that ultra skinny again!

• jimster
    14 years ago

I'm glad you tried the gallo pinto and found it to your liking. On a forum such as this it can be hard for such a simple dish to get attention. As I said before, gallo pinto can be eaten often without getting tiresome.

Pronunciation tip: GUY-oh PIN-toe.

Jim

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

I love fruit in savory dishes and tried this lentil soup a few weeks ago.

LENTIL-APRICOT SOUP (6 8 servings)

2 cups red lentils, rinsed and picked over
    8 cups water or more (I used part vegetable broth)
    2 cups finely minced onion
    2/3 cup 1/4" diced carrots
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    2 tsp. dried mustard
    2 Tbs. minced garlic
    1 cup minced dried apricots
    1 1/2 to 2 tsp. salt or to taste
    2 to 4 Tbs. balsalmic vinegar (to taste)
    Black and cayenne peppers to taste
    Chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish

Put lentils and water or broth in a soup pot. Add the onions, carrot, mustard and 1 tsp. of salt. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the lentils are nearly soft, adding more water if mixture seems too thick.

Add the garlic and apricots and simmer, covered, for an additional 15 minutes or so. Stir in the vinegar and peppers to taste and correct salt if needed.

• ganggreen980
    14 years ago

Not ever having tried lentils, I have a question about the texture. If they are cooked properly (i.e. soft but not mushy), would you relate it more to the texture of oatmeal or cream of wheat?

I know - weird question. I just had my fourth and last round of gum flap surgery this past week and am on a soft diet for the next 2 weeks. However, Lpink's sweet and sour lentil recipe is really appealing to me for tonight or tomorrow night. Is this something I'd be able to kind of "gum" with one side of my mouth and then swallow? If so, I just may give it a shot this weekend!

Mandie

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Cooked correctly, neither. They should have the texture similar to other cooked beans, except smaller and flatter. But for a creamy lentil soup, if you used red ones, you could puree them and then you would get something akin to split pea soup.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Sorry Mandie for not digesting your whole post before replying. As for the sweet and sour lentils, actually that dish is kind of chewy. One of the things I don't like about vegetarian food is it can get mushy, so I'm always on the lookout for non-mushy dishes. With the sweet and sour lentils, you've got onion and green pepper sauteed in there, plust the pineapple and rice and lentils. If it was just the rice and lentils with a sweet and sour sauce, I would say maybe you could cook them both quite a bit and get away with it, but I don't know for sure since I have never tried it. You could maybe make a sweet and sour sauce with some thing like pepper jelly, pineapple juice and a pinch of cloves and garlic powder, (I'm always trying to use up that ubiquitous jar of pepper jelly I have in the fridge) or just pineapple juice, cider vinegar, brown sugar garlic and cloves. Somewhere I have a recipe for sweet and sour sauce like that which I will post if I can find it.

• Marigene
    14 years ago

Here is an excellent lentil soup, first posted by Debbie 814 a few years back. I have made it several times using either no sausage or only a couple links.

Cucina, Cucina Restaurant Lentil Soup

1 1/2 cups lentils rinsed thoroughly
    4 links (1 lb.) Italian sausage (mild is used in the restaurant)
    1 TBSP butter
    1 TBSP Olive Oil (Extra Virgin)
    1/2 cup diced white onion
    1/2 cup diced carrot
    1/4 cup diced leek, white part only
    1/4 cup diced celery
    1 TBSP salt
    1/2 TSP. ground white pepper (or black)
    1 QT. Chicken Stock (I use Swanson's low sodium)
    2 TBSP Dijon Mustard
    1 TBSP Red Wine Vinegar (Regina)
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 cup fresh spinach coarsely chopped, divided use
    Grated Parmesan Cheese to Taste

In a heavy bottom 2 QT saucepot, add the butter and olive oil. Heat to melt the
    butter, then add the sausage links and brown evenly on all sides. (While the
    sausage is cooking, reduce the heat so the butter does not burn) Cook the
    sausage for about 5 minutes, or until the center is done. Then remove from the
    pan and allow to cool. (they will be sliced and added back later)

After removing the sausage, add the onions, carrots, celery, leeks and seasonings
    to the pot. Cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables are tender (about 2
    minutes). I found that it took more like 5 minutes. Then add the lentils and chicken
    stock, stir briefly and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally to prevent the lentils from
    sticking to the bottom of the pan. When the soup starts to boil, reduce the heat to
    low, and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. While the soup is
    simmering, slice the sausage.

When the lentils are tender add the cream, sausage, mustard, vinegar and 3/4 cup
    of the spinach. Stir to mix all the ingredients well. Return the soup to a boil, then
    reduce heat and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

Serve in warm bowls garnished with fresh spinach and parmesan cheese.

Debbie also has another lentil soup posted on her blog. I haven't tried this one, yet.

• shambo
    14 years ago

Annie, I made the Mango-Dal without the mangos. I used about one cup less water because I wanted a rather thick mixture. I also added 1/4 teaspoon of powdered cardamom. I sauteed all the spices for several minutes with the onion & cumin seeds before adding them to cooked red lentils. I used cilantro that I had frozen last summer.

I was skeptical because every time I've had dal in Indian restaurants it was pretty dull & tasteless. Well, this version was wonderful. It had a great flavor, and I'm looking forward to eating it again tomorrow.

So, thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm not sure what the mangos would add, but it was really tasty without them.

• jimster
    14 years ago

Keep in mind that legumes, in combination with grains, provide all the essential amino acids (proteins). Rice, corn or wheat in some form will all work with legumes nutritionally. The legumes and grains can be either combined in a single dish. Rice and beans is an example of a dish which is a complete source of protein. Meatless meals based on this principle can be wholesome, tasty and a good base for dieting.

Jim

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Here's my sweet and sour sauce recipe. I have not tried it with lentils but it is very similar to the recipe I posted above, which I have tried.

2 tsp. cornstarch
    2/3 cup pinapple chunks with juice
    1 TBLSP cider vinegar
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 TBLSP (1.5 tsp.) molasses or 1 tsp. honey
    2 TBLSP soy sauce
    1/4 - 1/2 tsp. ginger
    touch pepper
    2 TBLSP sesame oil (optional)

Dissolve cornstarch in 2 TBLSP water, add 1/4 cup pineapple juice, 1/4 cup water, vinegar, honey, soy sauce, ginger and pepper. Simmer on med. low heat until thickened and add to whatever you like, such as stir fry, rice or rice and lentils. When I make this as stir fry I stir fry the veggies first and then add it to the wok and cook a couple minutes until it thickens, than add pour the sauce/veggie mix over rice. Usually when I make stir fry I do it with tofu, because I don't have cooked lentils around. That's the only reason I don't tend to eat lentils more, I forget to make them in advance. Other beans I have canned which I can use in a pinch. Maybe I need to make up some lentils this weekend and freeze them for later!

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Here's one of my favourite Spanish dishes -

Although I have been making it for years the way a Spanish cook once showed me, this time I followed the preparation seen recently on a Spanish Cooking TV channel.
    Their ingredients included a small piece of
    or pork fat and a stewing chorizo (chorizo para guisar).
    If choosing a chorizo for this dish, be sure it is the right type which has the red pimiento colour.

The small piece of tocino can be seen just to the right of the sprig of rosemary.

Stewed Lentils (Lentejas Estofadas)

350 grams (1 1/2 cups) of small dark lentils - put them to soak the night before in water to cover
    100 grams (3.5 oz) red stewing chorizo sausage - lightly pricked over with tines of a fork
    50 grams (1.7 oz) salted tocino pork fat - cut into large diced pieces
    1 TBSP flour
    2 carrots diced fine
    2 medium leeks, using only white stems sliced finely in rounds
    1 lg clove garlic (this was optional but I wouldn't leave it out) - pass through garlic press
    2 cups beef broth (I used 2 Knorr cubes)
    1 bay leaf
    fresh rosemary - small sprig
    olive oil - about 1/4 cup
    2 cups extra water to add after 1st hour

1. Soak lentils the NIGHT BEFORE in water to cover. * Note this if now often unnecessary with newer fast cooking lentils.

2. Next day drain and rinse lentils, put aside.

3. Heat olive oil in heavy cooking pot. When sizzling, add carrots, garlic and leeks. Lightly brown while stirring.

4. Add 1 TBSP flour and keep stirring for about a minute.

5. Add lentils, beef broth, whole chorizo, tocino, laurel and rosemary

6. Put on lid and simmer very gently for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Check after 1st hour and add up to 2 more cups water as needed.

7. Adjust seasoning and serve.

Lentil & Potato Potaje (Potaje de Lentejas y Patatas)

3 cups of presoaked lentils
    4 medium potatoes - cut into large dice
    2 slices of stale bread
    3 cloves garlic
    vinegar
    salt

Put lentils in large pot, cover with water and begin to boil.

As soon as lentils have begun to cook do the following:

In a frying pan with 1/2 inch of oil brown the garlic and then add the bread and fry until brown. Remove garlic before it's too dark.

Put browned bread and garlic into a mortar and grind to a paste.
    During the early part of cooking the lentils add the paste from the mortar to the lentils together with the oil that's left in the pan

After about half an hour and before lentils are tender, add the diced or quartered potatoes, salt and finish cooking until all is tender.

Check and correct salt and a dash of vinegar before serving.

Source: A cook friend from Mallorca.

LENTIL & VEGETABLE SOUP

Ingredients:

lentils - 250 grams (slightly over 1 cup)
    garlic - one whole head
    onion - 1 large - quartered
    Kasseler smoked pork chop - 1 large (or 250 grams other smoked pork or bacon)
    ham or pork bone as for making stock
    4 medium carrots - sliced into coins
    2 stalks celery - diced
    5 medium potatoes - peeled and cut into 8ths
    6 flowerettes of cauliflower
    green beans - handful sliced
    tomato puré - small 4 oz tin
    olive oil - 4 TBS
    fresh garden herbs: 1 bay leaf, several sprigs thyme, Italian flatleaf parsley 2 or 3 sprigs
    chicken stock 1 liter (4 cups) or water and 3 Knorr chicken stock cubes
    salt & fesh ground pepper
    water to cook lentils
    vinegar - 1 teasp
    garlic croutons - optional garnish

Method:

1) Turn on oven to 350F. Put lentils in large heavy bottomed stew pot with water to cover plus about 2 inches, bring to boil and simmer 45 minutes. Check water level and add more as needed.

2) Meanwhile put whole head of garlic into shallow baking pan together with quartered onion, Kasseler or smoked pork and ham or pork bone, drizzle with olive oil and roast in oven at medium heat about 45 minutes.

3) Remove baking tray from oven when all is nicely browned and cut meat into small dice and add to lentil pot along with onion. Squeeze garlic from skin into lentil pot, adding ham/pork bone along with oil and juices scraped from roasting pan.

4) Add rest of vegetables to lentils, chicken stock (or water and stock cubes), tomato puré, fresh herbs and bay leaf, parsley - reserving one sprig, fresh ground pepper. Bring to boil and simmer about 1 hour until vegetables are done, adding more water if needed.

5) When vegetables are tender, remove ham/pork bones and any bare thyme stems from pot, check for flavour and add salt as needed. Add vinegar and stir.

6) Serve with a bit of chopped parsley and more fresh ground pepper. Homemade garlic croutons are also nice as a garnish.

Source: Recipe as I learned from a Mallorquin housewife years ago.

Lentil Purée

Convert leftover stewed lentils into a delicious purée by putting them into a food processor and adding the following:
    1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
    2 lg cloves of garlic crushed and browned in 1/4 cup oil in small frypan
    2 slices brown bread broken in small pieces and fried in the garlicky oil until brown
    Processed the above until smooth and then heat it gently.

Dice more pieces of brown bread and toasted them in the frying pan with oil and garlic salt for the croutons.

SharonCb

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Sherry and I both bought beluga black lentils last weekend at Trader Joe's. I had no clue what I was going to do with mine, but yesterday I experimented based on a few recipes I read and came up with a real winner, in my opinion.

Here's what I made.

{{gwi:1507510}}

Lentil and Grilled Vegetable Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette

8 oz cooked beluga black lentils
    1/2 red pepper, cut in strips
    1 small sweet onion, quartered
    1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise
    1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
    3 scallions, sliced

Dressing:

1/4 c lemon juice
    1/4 c olive oil
    2-3 T red wine vinegar
    1/2 tsp dried basil

Heat grill pan, and cook pepper, onion and zucchini pieces just until tender. Remove and cool. When cool enough to handle, dice the grilled vegetables.

In large bowl, combine lentils, grilled vegetables, cucumber and scallions.

Whisk dressing ingredients together and toss with vegetables.

Linda

• ganggreen980
    14 years ago

Lpink:

Thanks so much! Sorry, I'm late. I got totally distracted and completely forgot I even posted. I think I actually just might try that sweet and sour tonight! The kids will love it! I'll do a stir fry for them or some such thing.

I really appreciate the info on the texture of the lentils. I think, though, that I just may wait for the stitches to be removed before I try them.

Mandie

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

Okay... so I made really great lentil soup last night and then screwed it up.

A couple pounds of dry lentils (2 bags) rinsed and in the soup pot with about 6 quarts of water. Some crushed peppercorns (penzey tellicherry/malabar). One onion. Two cayenne peppers. A handful of fresh spinach. A bag of ham cubes from the freezer. Brang it to a boil for awhile then down to a simmer for a couple hours. Perfect perfect perfect.... so I couldn't leave it alone. NOoooo not me.

Just a pinch of garam marsala... oops. Not bad but no longer good. Hmmm... gotta save it. A couple tablespoons of cumin, a spoon of red curry paste, a generous shake of powdered Red Savina pepper (world's hottest '94-'06), and a can of coconut milk. Now we have an acceptable curry. Not great but it will all get eaten before Wednesday... already ate 1/3 and the rest is in plastic lunch containers. I probably should have used another tablespoon of red curry paste (thai kitchen).

Curry... not just for breakfast today!

: )
    lyra

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

Sharon, I'm anxious to try the lentil puree you posted.

BARLEY-LENTIL SOUP

Put in 3 quart pot:

1 large or 2 small carrots, sliced
    1 medium to large onion, chopped
    1 or 2 stalks sliced celery
    1 peeled garlic clove stuck on a toothpick
    1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped or ½ can of diced tomatoes
    2 cups or 1 can beef broth
    1 vegetable bouillon cube
    1/2 cup of beer (optional but my secret ingredient)
    water to fill pot about 3/4 full
    salt, pepper to taste and a dash of Worcestershire sauce
    You can also add chopped peppers if you like a spicier soup or some diced soaked and chopped dried mushrooms

When liquid is boiling, add:
    1 cup lentils
    1/4 cup of barley

Turn heat down to a fast simmer (medium-low on my stove), cover, and cook until barley is done, stirring occasionally and adding more hot water if needed.
    Then add some sliced mushrooms. You can also add some chopped spinach or other greens and cook about 10 more minutes. Stir in chopped fresh parsley when soup is done.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Thanks for that recipe, Ruthanna, another grain that I love is barley and it doesn't get used very often.

Annie