SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie94062

Patching Engineered Hardwood for Remodel

julie94062
14 years ago

Hi, we are doing a kitchen remodel and having to patch some areas of the existing engineered wood floor, which was installed in 2005.

Floor info:

Award Floors

Patina Relics

PARE530 Walnut Antique

1- The floor was glued (tongue and groove)

2- The floor was discontinued and we may (fingers crossed) have just enough to do the patching. No extras.

The guy doing the patching has been here 5 days trying to get it done...a very slow process.

Given that I don't know the intricacies of the process, I don't want to overreact, but don't want to make a big deal about it if it's the best we can expect. But bottom line is it's a big disappointment. If it were a new floor I wouldn't accept it, but if it's the best I can expect, I'll throw a rug over it (too bad it's in such a visible area). But I'd like to hear from some experts with experience...I guess I'm asking if the guy knows what he's doing. I know he's not done yet, and may be going to address these things, but if not, I'd like to be able to ask intelligent questions!

-are those big gaps at the end of the boards the best he can do?

-if so, can they be filled and will it look OK?

-can the slight difference in height between two boards be sanded down? (given that there's just a thin layer of wood on top). Don't want bare feet catching on the edges.

Any insight is welcome!

Comments (4)