SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cljp_gw

Hardwood floor buckling?

CLJP
10 years ago

I'm not sure if buckling is the right term or not!

Our house was built last summer, from about May til October, so I'm not 100% sure when the flooring would have been installed. The flooring (in the spots that were not damaged from water leaks in our bathroom and kitchen from the dishwasher... but that's another story) was fine throughout the winter, but in about April this year I noticed that in one spot, the floor seemed to be buckling; it looks like the flooring is lifting where two boards meet.

We mentioned it to our builder at the time; and we have mentioned it to the flooring companies service manager when he came to assess the other damage to our floor from the water leaks. Since then, the lifting of the flooring has gotten a lot worse; it's not at every single joint, but there isn't more than 6-8 boards between each spot that is lifting.

The builder says nothing, while the service manager didn't want to admit it was a problem, but said we would maybe look at it later in the summer when the humidity has dropped a bit.

I have read on this forum, and other sites about similar problems. My biggest concern is that the lifting will damage the actual boards; I have noticed in one or two spots that there are little cracks near the edge of some boards. My first thought is that the lifting has caused extra stress on the boards from us walking on it, couches sitting on it, etc.

What kind of damage does lifting like this do to the boards?
Is it really acceptable to have a clients hardwood floor lift like this every summer?

We live in Alberta, Canada; so generally people here have humidifiers (which we do), not dehumidifiers. I know lots of people who have gapping throughout the winter, but ours was tight in the winter, and now buckling in the summer. I have heard people say that seasonal gapping is a much better problem than buckling. The humidity HAS been very high here for the last 5 weeks or so; but I don't think it was high in March/April/May when the problem started.

I guess what I want to know is if we need to be pushing our flooring companies service manager to help us out, because at the moment they sound pretty reluctant. It's heartbreaking to spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home only to have the flooring look like... uh not very good.

Comments (8)