SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbarrel07

New Hardwood Installed 4/08 is Buckling!

carolbarrel07
15 years ago

My house was totally renovated. We pulled up carpets & had orig. red oak hardwoods sanded & refurbed where it was possible. But in two rooms, new red oak was installed by my contractor. Where the new oak went in...once we moved furniture in and the rooms "settled"...the new oak flooring is buckling in two or three places. It is bowed with an upward curvature...cupped down according to my husband's description. Floors were done in April and it's now September. No unusually high moisture content in basement under subflooring supporting these hardwoods.

In some places, this is 3-4 side by side tongue in groove board sections...making the overall floor uneven and wavy. It could get worse, I guess, as the weather & season changes. The subflooring is the same throughout the house. In the bedrooms where the original red oak hardwood was sanded, stained and refurbed...the floors are even (the problem I just described isn't manifesting).

What can we do? My contractor who did the hdwd floor rehab suggests jacking up the house, and in fact we bought jack posts and 4 x 4s for the basement install. But...is this going to remedy the problem? Or is it possible that new red oak being manufactured these days is just junk? And that would mean I'm going to have to live with this? :-(

Comments (11)