SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coleslaw_gw

Please help! Buckling in New Hardwood Floor Installation

coleslaw
9 years ago

Renovating our 100 year old house in the Northeast....

My floors were originally uneven because of old structural issues in the basement that have since been stabilized.

We bought 3" x 3/4" pre-finished red oak (Appalachian Flooring Select Grade). The contractor had the wood acclimating to our house for 3-5 days before installing (June). At this time, our air conditioning was non-functional, so the house was warm (and likely humid). The basement was damp. I do not know if they took moisture readings of the wood (or what the readings were).

We paid extra for the contractors to strategically "feather in" plywood under the hardwood so as to compensate for unevenness in the underlying floor. They floored over some of the original oak floors in some areas, and ripped up the old floors in others.

When they were done, it looked great! My floors were sooo much more level!! It looked and felt awesome! It looked like they had done a great job.

Then we put the air conditioning on 2 weeks ago.

My floors have "tented" up in spots and it's like there was never any leveling of the floors done at all. I thought there must have been a structural problem because it felt "sunken" in spots. It's like each joist underfoot feels like a speed bump.

The contractor said to dehumidify the basement and all would be well. We have been running the dehumidifer constantly and there is no change in the floors.

Now he says that it's just how my joists are, and that my floors were uneven to begin with, "but now they're so much better! We never promised we could make them perfect!"

How should I proceed??

TIA!

Comment (1)