SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lasershow_gw

Dating again after losing a spouse

lasershow
17 years ago

I met a nice man in a grief support group, and we've been dating for the past few weeks. I am the first woman he's dated since his wife died a few years ago. I'm sort of betwixt and between here. On one hand, I think he wants to move forward, but on the other hand I think he just wants to stay in the past, honoring the memory of his wife. He still wears his wedding ring, which is getting to be a little weird for me. He talks about her a lot and I've tried to be supportive, but sometimes it's all I can do not to blurt out "do you want to make a go of a relationship with me or do you want to stay in the past forever?" He is young, too; they were together about 18 years. He's bitter and angry that she was taken from him at such a young age. I understand that, but it makes me feel very awkward when he says that and ponders out loud "Everything was going so great...we were having fun..."

I really like this man and don't want to necessarily throw in the towel prematurely, but I'm at a loss here. For those of you who have lost a spouse and then re-entered the dating world at some point: could you give me some advice on how best to handle this? Am I being too sensitive about him still wearing his ring? Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (5)

Sponsored