SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ynnej_gw

What's with risotto

ynnej
12 years ago

I've only had risotto a few times at restaurants, and I wasn't that impressed. Every time it's made on Iron Chef, the judges act like it's some form of art. Do you love risotto? Do you find it complicated? From what I gather, the only reason it may be considered difficult is because of the constant attention it needs. I'm just wondering what the hype's all about.

Comments (51)

• annie1992
    12 years ago

I've had it several times, at home, at others' homes and in good restaurants. I'm underwhelmed.

First of all, it's rice. (shrug) It's OK, but it's still rice and the texture just really puts me off. Some is drier, some is creamier, but it's all kind of mushy and the bad stuff is both mushy AND gluey.

So, it's a matter of taste, I think. If I remember correctly, Chase wasn't crazy for it either.

Annie

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I LOVE risotto and have had both the perfect version and the mushy gluey version. The perfect version is creamy, yet the rice grains remain firm, but not hard...there must be a 30 second span from too firm to overcooked.

I don't do it at home because I haven't enough patience to do it right on an electric stove - maybe if I had a gas range...I've made Martha's oven version, but it's really just a rice casserole, not the divine stuff I've had in fine restaurants. If it's a restaurant I know will do it right, it is my go to dish....mmmm shrimp risotto, or asparagus risotto, or mushroom risotto. My mouth is watering.

• Related Discussions

Wild Rice Risotto?

Q

Comments (15)
    Thank you everyone. The fact that wild rice has a very nice flavor and Arborio does not, made me determined to find a way to make wild rice risotto. Unfortunately I was not successful finding a recipe by Googling. The so-called wild rice risotto recipes I found all use Arborio rice with wild rice. As I mentioned, wild rice cooks very loose with no starch for the creamy risotto texture. No. I did not stand next to the stove and stir for 24 hours to get the wild rice creamy. After trying a few ways, this was what worked, a totally painless way. The wild rice was cooked in a pressure cooker with Pork, beef and chicken stock because I didn�t want the wild rice to taste like chicken , pork or beef. You can get the wild rice to any degree of firmness the way you prefer (Al dente) in a pressure cooker. Put a good part of the cooked wild rice in your bread machine, add some more stock and use the knead cycle to stir the wild rice. It took my machine three knead cycles to get the wild rice creamy like risotto, but there was no work on my part. Depending on if you like a more or less soupy runny risotto, add back some un-stirred wild rice and cook with other ingredients and seasoning to get your finished risotto. Teresa, I decided to have okra because I was not sure if this method would work, perhaps I would need the gooey viscous okra juice to help out, but as it turn out, the risotto was good enough. BTW, I think farmed wild rice will not work because it is much firmer then real free range wild rice. dcarch
    ...See More

Tips for Risotto

Q

Comments (2)
    Oh....I just may indulge myself and have risotto for dinner. Here;s how I do it. Into a heavy pan, put: 1/4 cup finely chopped onion and 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms. with 1 1/2 T. butter and 1 1/2 T olive oil. Sautee slowly until the onion is soft and translucant Add 2/3 cups of arborio rice, and a clove of garlic minced, and continue to sautee slowly until the rice is translucent. Then add 1/2 cup of a dry white wine. If you are not a wine drinker, use white vermouth the rest will keep well in the regrigerator. Then begin adding the chicken broth ( or beef broth) a cup at a time, stirring and cooking until it is absorbed. Keep adding and cooking and stirring until the rice is tooth tender...that is without a hard spot in the center. When it reaches that point, you can turn it off while you get the rest of the dinner ready ( but not for more than 20 minutes) then turn on the pot again and when it's hot add another cup of broth...and after about 3 minutes of simmering add about 1/4 cup ( or more) fresh grated parmesan. Ana at this time you could add chopped roasted red peppers, chopped shrimp, chopped fresh spinach, chopped fresh parsley, small pieces of steamesd asparagus and some grated lemon rind... The sky's the limit. And remember....risotto is only as good as what you put into it! Home made chicken broth will make an amazing difference! Linda C
    ...See More

Incredible Asparagus Risotto

Q

Comments (16)
    Thank you, thank you Michael for sharing your dinner. It looks wonderful and I'm sorry that your plans had to change. I'm sure everyone would have loved the dinner. Five pounds of lamb stuffed with beef will certainly give you lots of leftovers. The asparagus risotto will be in my "2008 to try" file also. Thanks also for linking the video because I learned that even though I don't stir risotto constantly, I can stir it a lot less. Lee
    ...See More

I tried Seafood Risotto

Q

Comments (5)
    I learned my risotto skills via Marcella Hazan. This article very clearly explains her excellence in teaching. "...If you finish adding your hot stock and the rice still needs more liquid to become tender, add hot water. This may happen because of the age of the rice, making it a bit dried out and thus needing a touch more liquid. But resist adding more stock as this can change the flavor. Since I can't be sure how much total liquid I will need, I often keep two saucepans ready, one with all my hot stock and another with standby of simmering water." and... "...Here is the most important lesson I learned from Ms. Hazan: Use a high heat and don't be afraid. Add a cup of hot stock and keep stirring until you think the rice is just about to scorch and only then do you add more hot liquid. As you continue to stir, you'll start to see the bare bottom of the pan. This is when you add more liquid and not before. She explained that the high heat helps in the absorption and you get a more tender, flavorful risotto. Whenever I make risotto, as I stir, I remember her standing next to me, and saying, "not yet, not yet, keep stirring, no basta, not yet. Okay, now. Basta." Here is a link that might be useful: making risotto
    ...See More
  • ann_t
    12 years ago

I love "Good" risotto. There is a big difference to the kind of risotto that Annie described and a well made risotto.

I even enjoy the whole stirring process.

Ann

• Chi
    12 years ago

The only good risotto I've ever had was the mushroom risotto at Spiaggia in Chicago about 8 years ago.

Jenny, I suspect being a vegetarian has something to do with it. I've found a lot of restaurants, unless they are vegetarian-focused or very high quality, don't put enough care into veggie broths to make a good one that tastes good in the risotto.

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

Risotto is heaven, and easy, too. I use TJ's low sodium chicken stock and make mine with asparagus usually. ANd lots of good Parmesan.

Like Ann T, I love the whole process. It's not something to make when the rest of your menu is complicated, but I love the stirring.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

So does anyone know how restaurants make the perfect risotto? It never takes as long to come to the table as all that stirring suggests; do they precook it partially or??? And they surely don't have time to stir each order to order, right? Any ideas?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Whatever, it's still rice, maybe at it's perfection, but you have to love rice.

I am only a so-so rice lover and as such risotto even made perfectly well with arborio rice, the best Parmesan, etc, I don't feel the love. And while I can make it well, all that stirring for rice leaves me nonplussed.
    I'd rather put the effort into something else.

• jessyf
    12 years ago

I've been converted to pressure cooking risotto. Easy peasy. DH isn't as enthralled but he is free to stand there stirring if he wants to LOL. My two favs are kabocha squash and mushroom.

• coolbeansw
    12 years ago

I am indifferent to rice, but LOVE well-made risotto! It's a labor of love to prepare and heaven to eat. I have read that restaurants partially cook a batch of it ahead of time and finish each serving with a last-minute ladle or two of stock, attentive stirring, and final additions of parmesan, mushrooms, etc. I've tried this myself at home, with variable success.

• moosemac
    12 years ago

Here's Gordon Ramsay's method. The method is similar to many restaurant recipes I've seen.

Risotto

400g (about 1 lb - 2 cups) risotto rice (such as arborio or carnaroli)
    1 litre (about 4 cups) brown chicken (or vegetable) stock
    150g (about 1-1/4 cups) shelled broad (fava) beans
    150g (about 1-1/4 cups) peas (or petits pois), thawed if frozen
    50g (about 1/2 cup) freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra shavings to
    serve
    25g (about 1-1/2 Tbs) butter, cut into cubes
    handful fresh chives(optional), chopped
    sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

To make the risotto, wash the rice in cold water and strain off. Put into a pan with 500ml (about 2 cups) of chicken stock, 500ml (about 2 cups) water and a generous pinch of salt. Bring the liquid to a simmer and blanch the rice for 7 minutes. Drain well and spread out on a lightly oiled tray to cool down.
    To finish the risotto, place the blanched rice in a shallow pan ( I use a non-stick fry pan) and pour in just enough chicken stock to cover. Bring to the boil quickly and cook until nearly all of the stock has evaporated. Taste the risotto to see if is al dente, adding a little more stock if it needs a bit more cooking. Add the broad beans, peas, Parmesan and a few knobs of butter. Cook for a further few minutes until the beans are tender. Season to taste. Finally add the fresh chives if desired.

Notes: I use this method for cooking risotto when I have a dinner party but not if timing is not critical. (I like the process of stirring.)

I do not rinse the rice before blanching. Secondly, I blanch the rice in stock. I reserve this stock (which now contains a lot of the starch from the rice) to be added back into the risotto for the final cooking.

• sally2_gw
    12 years ago

To me, no two risottos are the same. I've made mushroom risotto, butternut squash risotto, lemon risotto, asparagus risotto, and roasted tomato risotto, and enjoyed them all. I probably don't always make it perfectly, probably haven't yet, but I love it anyway. I don't stir it constantly because it really doesn't necessarily need it. Mario Battalli (I don't remember how to spell his name) has a video showing how to do it without constant stirring. He was making asparagus risotto. I do stir frequently, but not constantly.

Sally

• arley_gw
    12 years ago

Ditto what Jessy said; pressure cooking risotto is foolproof and quick. 98% as good as hand stirred with 5% of the effort.

In fact, Kuhn Rikon used to market one of their smaller pressure cookers as a risotto maker.

• User
    12 years ago

I don't like rice.

I don't like "American" rice, (that long-grain cr*p). but I do like risotto, and an occasional serving of short or medium grain rice well prepared.

Cooks Illustrated has an easy "almost hands-free risotto" recipe that doesn't need constant attention and it's very good. If I "have" to make rice, I'll make risotto.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Rice is so many things.....there is Uncle Ben's, jasmine, basamati, brown rice, Japanese sticky rice, black rice, rice pudding, pilaf and all sorts of risotto. Not sure how anyone could say point blank they don't like rice.

When I make risotto, I sautee mushrooms and onions (for mushroom risotto) in a bit of butter in a small fry pan.
    in an enamel cast iron Dutch oven, I put another knob of butter and when it sizzles I add my rice, and parch it in the butter until most of the grains are showing white spots....maybe 4 minutes. then I add about a cup (for a cup of rice) of dry white wine, and the mushrooms and onion. When that has absorbed I add a ladle of chicken stock, stir....another ladle, stir....repeat until the rice is al dente, then I add a generous pile of fresh grated parm ( which I have been grating between stirring and ladleing) and another ladle of stock, stir like mad....and serve.
    The rice should be a puddle on your plate with a goodly amount of creamy thickened (from the rice flour on the rice) gravy-ish stuff.
    Absolutely delish and nothing at all like any other rice dish I have ever eaten.
    I first had a perfect risotto in Venice....and was determined to learn how to do it.
    Linda C

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Why is not liking rice an issue?
    I don't like mushrooms and there are many different types and methods of prep but I don't like any of them.
    Lots of people don't like seafood or meat, again, many categories.

• triciae
    12 years ago

We also do not include rice/risotto on our list of yummy comfort foods. Rice is OK and we'll eat it but neither of us ever requests it for a meal. Rice prepared as risotto is unappealing, to us. So, although it is a food that I could comfortably swallow...it doesn't make an appearance on our WFD list. Add us to those who do not "get" the appeal. Since it's not a particularily nutritious dish, don't see much reason to learn to like it. It's an easy carb loaded dish for us to stay sway from. I have friends though who would enjoy risotto as a stand alone meal.

/tricia

• Lars
    12 years ago

I love risotto, but I've only made mushroom or asparagus risotto, and usually the mushroom version. It just feels nice in my mouth, but like Bumblebeez said, it is a matter of preference. I like most vegetables, but I do not like sweet potatoes.

I especially like risotto with seafood.

Lars

• Rusty
    12 years ago

I must confess,
    I have never had Risotto.
    Mainly because there is nothing about it that appeals to me.
    Nothing that makes me want to try it.

I do like rice,
    I like brown rice, wild rice, and long grain rice.
    But something about the idea of 'creamy' rice,
    (That translates to 'mushy' in my book)
    just doesn't appeal to me.
    I've read a number of recipes for Risotto,
    But have yet to find one that makes me want to try it.

So I guess it all boils down to:
    "Different strokes for different folks".

That's what makes the world go 'round.

Rusty

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It seems that those of you who love it really, really love it, and that makes me want to give it a try. I don't have much to compare it to, but I suppose if it tastes good and the consistency is right I will take that as a good sign. I do agree that the vegetable broths at restaurants could be part of the problem. They are usually store bought and use vegetables that are on the verge of rotten.

• pkramer60
    12 years ago

Another one that is not fond of risotto. Cheese in my rice is not an appealing combination to me and I have been served risotto that others declared perfect.

Since it's not a particularily nutritious dish and an easy (too easy?) carb load as Tricia wrote, it is like eating a sweet breakfast. It just goofs up the blood glucose and packs on pounds.

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

I don't "really, really love" risotto, but properly made I enjoy it a lot. I'd guess I've had it not properly made more often than not, both at restaurants and by my own hand.

In my book a properly made risotto is both al dente and creamy. Al dente does not mean underdone, and creamy does not mean mushy.

• lindac
    12 years ago

A cup of cooked arborio rice contains fewer calories than a cup of cooked pasta.
    And unless you have really over cooked it, risotto is not nearly as 'mushy' as say macaroni and cheese, less mushy than mashed potatoes, or many potato salads I have eaten, less mushy than bananas or baked squash, which by the way makes a lovely addition to risotto.

• Teresa_MN
    12 years ago

"In my book a properly made risotto is both al dente and creamy. Al dente does not mean underdone, and creamy does not mean mushy.".

I agree with you on those two points FOAS.

• nancyofnc
    12 years ago

I believe risotto is the latest "craze" as we've all seen before. I.e., bundt cakes with dripping icing, shrimp tails hanging over a stemmed glass with cocktail sauce in the middle, quiche Lorraine, Cajun blackened fish, Buffalo wings, potato skins, panini, veggie wraps, beef Wellington, cold soups, cheese fondue, etc. Seems like every restaurant has some kind of risotto offering today, but they may also have the same old stuff that was new, once. It all gets blended in over time. To me, risotto is like pasta, it is a side dish, not a main entree, IMO.

Nancy

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I've never had risotto, just never think of it I guess.
    We love rice....white basmati, white regular long-grain, brown rice and wild rice, and creamy rice pudding!

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Nancy, I agree, it's a current food "fad", I see it everywhere, it's taken the place of "smashed" potatoes as a side dish, or rice pilaf, which was ubiquitous in restaurants I visited from Toronto and Detroit to Texas and California.

LindaC, you also named many other things I don't care much about because they are too mushy, like bananas and white pasta, that sweet potato or squash casserole that's just all mushed up, usually topped with something sweet and macaroni and cheese.

Like those, I can eat risotto, I'm just not wild for it. Much like I think polenta is just glorified cornmeal mush, I think risotto is just glorified rice. Which is OK, but it's still just rice.

That said, I do like brown rice and red rice and black rice all better than I like white rice, be it basmati or jasmine, long grain or short. I actually like rice better if it's kind of sticky instead of fluffy. Wild rice, of course, isn't rice at all, it's a seed, so I don't include it in the "rice" category.

It can be better and worse and have all kinds of things added or not, rice is very versatile, maybe because it's so bland itself?

Annie

• jessicavanderhoff
    12 years ago

I'm in the underwhelmed camp, too, and I've had it at a bunch of fancy restaurants and made it myself. It's not that it's bad, it's just a vessel for butter and salt. Give me some fluffy basmati or creamy mac and cheese any day.

• KatieC
    12 years ago

As I read through this it occurred to me that I've never had anyone's risotto but mine, so I have absolutely no frame of reference. I have no idea if it's a proper risotto, but we like it...it's sort of a comfort food mac and cheese alternative. Now I want to try restaurant risotto and see if I like it.

We like long grain brown rice and basmati, and I just picked up some black rice to try. Anymore we eat quinoa more than rice (thankyou for sending me that first box, Jessy!).

• ann_t
    12 years ago

I disagree that Risotto is a current "fad". Unless current means for the last 30 years or more.

It was on the menus of great Italian Restaurant back in the 70's. I've loved it since then. I order it as an appetizer or as a main course. I wouldn't order it as a side.

It isn't something I would order in just any restaurant though. Especially a chain restaurant.

I love rice. We often have it as a side instead of potatoes or pasta. But if you don't like rice, I can understand why you wouldn't like risotto. Especially bad risotto.

Ann

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

I have never made it myself but have enjoyed it in restaurants. When we lived in Napa Alice and I would have girl's night out every few months. I'd order risotto of some sort and she would order a margarita pizza. She was 7. Good memories. :)

• annie1992
    12 years ago

No, Ann, not a "fad" in that it's a new recipe or a new technique, but "fad" in that restaurants that would have never had it on the menu 30 years ago have it now.

It's not only in Italian restaurants, it's in seafood places and steak joints and chain restaurants and diners and I've even seen it in mall food courts.

It seems to be the currently "fashionable" side dish, and like all things, can be done well or badly. Some of those places definitely have to prepare it ahead and for all I know, it could be available commercially prepared and frozen or preserved in some fashion from Gordon Food Service or similar places. I know I've seen "convenience mixes", the Hamburger Helper of risotto, go figure.

Annie

• pfmastin
    12 years ago

I've never had risotto, but would like to try this recipe to avoid the long prep time. It looked good when she prepared it on her show.

Recipe: Easy Parmesan "risotto"
    Ina Garten's "Barefoot Contessa: How Easy Is That?" cookbook
    Ingredients

* 1.5 cups Arborio rice
    * 5 cups simmering chicken stock, preferably homemade, divided
    * 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    * 1/2 cup dry white wine
    * 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
    * 2 teaspoons kosher salt
    * 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    * 1 cup frozen peas

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the rice and 4 cups of the chicken stock in a Dutch oven, such as Le Creuset. Cover and bake for 45 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente. Remove from the oven, add the remaining cup of chicken stock, the Parmesan, wine, butter, salt and pepper, and stir vigorously for two to three minutes, until the rice is thick and creamy. Add the peas and stir until heated through. Serve hot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ina Garten's recipe for risotto

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

I've had some wonderful risottos as side dishes in good restaurants but I can take it or leave it, it's not something I would ever crave or put on my top 10 list.

The not so good risottos I've had were too creamy or salty or cheesy.
    I think there's a very fine line between the good ones and the mediocre ones.

• Teresa_MN
    12 years ago

"No, Ann, not a "fad" in that it's a new recipe or a new technique, but "fad" in that restaurants that would have never had it on the menu 30 years ago have it now."

That's what I took your post to mean Annie. As in when the chains started using it. I became familiar with it back in the early 70's when I worked at a restaurant in Italy. The first time I saw it here in Minnesota was the late 70's in a really high end ($$$$$) Italian restaurant. The medium and lower end restaurants did not serve it until the last decade or so.

I could not eat risotto as an entree. Even as a runner that would put me into carb overload.

But as everything else is here - it's subjective. To each his own!

Teresa

• ann_t
    12 years ago

There are just certain foods that you never order in certain restaurants.

Risotto would be one of them.

I also avoid ordering Italian, French, Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Greek, etc.... in restaurants with a multi-national menu. Just asking to be disappointed.

~Ann

• jessicavanderhoff
    12 years ago

I love a chef who can (responsibly) combine cuisines. I think chicken tikka masala pizza is inspired, and whoever started putting sweet chili sauce on fries deserves a kiss. I am leery of more than two nonadjacent countries featured on the menu, unless there's evidence that someone is multiethnic or has traveled extensively.

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not leery. I think it's fun to see someone's personal take on a dish, and I especially love combined cuisines. Now if you're getting, say, a chinese chicken salad from McDonalds- well, then you're just asking for trouble.

• Chi
    12 years ago

The best pasta dish I've ever had in my entire life was in a tiny, very non-Italian pub/bar in NYC. It was amazing and I hold up every dish to that standard. I've eaten in a number of well-regarded Italian places and none of their pasta has come close, so sometimes it does pay to be adventurous with restaurant stereotypes.

• punamytsike
    12 years ago

I am not a big fan of rice and originally did not care for risotto either, although I got to try several times risotto made by a pretty good chef. Since my son loves risotto and I am now a proud owner of a pressure cooker, I make risotto weekly and have come to enjoy it. It is so easy and fast and I always get rave reviews from risotto lovers, so what's not to like :)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Leery, interesting concept. I don't expect much in restaurants other than food taste good. Authenticity, I don't even know what that is exactly most of the time.

I hope for the best, expect the worst and deal with the in between.

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

Jessica, I'm glad you specified more than two nonadjacent countries, because I'm a big fan of Taco Bell and Pizza Hut sharing the same space. ;-)

• shambo
    12 years ago

This is a fun thread. I always enjoy reading all the different opinions. Count me in the "ho-hum" camp. I make risotto every once in a while. It comes out good, and my husband really enjoys it. I like it but admit to having a problem with the "creamy" side of it. It's a texture thing, I'm sure. I've always disliked rice pudding for the same reason -- creamy sweet sauce with firmer rice. It almost makes me gag. I can tolerate risotto, even though in many ways, it's like a savory version. I do not care for casserole recipes that combine rice, some sort of creamy sauce, and eggs either. Something about that combo of textures that doesn't appeal to me at all.

But I dearly love rice. We'll cook a big batch of brown rice and I can make several different meals from it. I even use the leftovers in rice patties. Moosemac, thanks for posting the Gordon Ramsey recipe. After watching "Hell's Kitchen," I knew he used that technique. He always has comments about the contestants' risotto. Maybe I could apply that same technique to some leftover brown rice. Wouldn't be perfect risotto but might be close enough to please my husband.

• sally2_gw
    12 years ago

I'm still stuck on the carb overload concept. Is that possible? ;-)

I ask while munching on a bowl of popcorn!

I bought a bag of short grain brown rice that I wondered if it would be okay for risotto. I may give it a try to see what happens.

Sally

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

Sally, it won't be risotto. IMHO, you're setting it up to be disappointed. If you're trying something for the first time, you owe it to yourself to use the best possible ingredients. Just like, it won't be good if you use Parmesan cheese from a green can.

• jessicavanderhoff
    12 years ago

Haha, FOAS. I'm totally ok with a conglomerate of small, nearby countries too. I got lunch from a Mexican/Honduran/Salvadorean/Peruvian place yesterday, and it was really good.

• Solsthumper
    12 years ago

Jenny, I suppose I'd be the wrong person to ask, because I like rice, in any form. Italian arborio, long grain, short grain, wild rice (ok, not a rice at all, but the seed of an aquatic grass) Basmati rice (brown and white).
    In fact, I love rice of every color and creed :)

There are shortcuts to cooking risotto, so you don't have to stand over it, stirring, for what may seem like an eternity.
    Although, between you and me, I don't bother with shortcuts. I rather enjoy the therapeutic process of stirring the risotto until creamy, or until my arm falls off, whichever comes first.

Sol

• sally2_gw
    12 years ago

What do you mean I can't use the Parm from the green can? It's my favorite! (not).

I'm not a newbie to risotto. I've just never made it with brown rice. You're right, though. It would be disappointing if I expected it to be the same as risotto made from, say, arborio rice. I just would keep my mind open to whatever happened with it.

Sally

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

White Tuffle Risotto. Enuf said!

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1.5 cups arborio rice
    2/3 cup dry white wine
    5 cups chicken stock, heated
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus extra
    1 ounce white truffle, thinly shaved, divided
    Instructions:

In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, and saut� until translucent. Add the rice, and toast for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add the wine, and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Add 1/2 cup of the stock, and cook until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper. Continue adding the stock in 1/2 cup increments, stirring after each addition until the liquid is absorbed. The rice is done when it is creamy but al dente, about 18 minutes. Stir in the butter, Parmigiano and half of the truffle shavings. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with more truffle shavings and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

I like adding lobster mushrooms to the dish as well.

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, wow! I would have to substitute truffle oil and veggie stock, but I'm sure it would still be amazing. Sol, I wouldn't mind the stirring. But I will mind the dishes. I always mind the dishes!

• jessicavanderhoff
    12 years ago

At $1,000 a pound or so for truffles, I think that one's a little out of my reach too. It does sound good, so I'll keep it in the file to celebrate winning the lottery.