SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
changeling_gw

Time for fun if you can handle it, LOL!

changeling
16 years ago

This is a fun type thing please stick to the rules!

OK, you have 1lb of fresh shrimp in the shell, NO MORE!

Your kitchen is fully stocked and ready, let's see if you are!

What is your favorite recipe of all times for you/family?

You can't get sneaky and add other stuff like clams, mussels,fish etc,LOL. ONLY, Vegetables/spices/pasta/cheese/imagination, you get the idea! Cooking "methods" can be anything used in the "Galaxy" " from acidic cooked shrimp dishes to the reaches of your imagination.

All methods of preparation are absolutely welcome and crucial to be something you prepare in your home!

Something you/family really cook, making it a part of your life's "Culinary Delight That Tickles Your Taste Buds any Night"!!

Comments (54)

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is the kind of recipe I like to make - where the flavors of the items can stand on their own and no heavy ingredients like cream or butter. My DH would be happy to eat this once a week, if I made it that often.

FUSILLI WITH SHRIMP AND ROASTED VEGETABLES 4 servings

12 plum tomatoes, cores and quartered lengthwise
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1 small head garlic
    1 lb. thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
    1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    3/4 lb. corkscrew pasta, such as fusilli or rotini
    2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
    1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
    1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried

Set rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large roasting pan, toss the tomatoes with 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil and a generous grinding of pepper. Slice the top 1/2 inch off the garlic head and discard; pull off any loose papery skin. Wrap the garlic in tin foil and add to the roasting pan.

Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, without stirring, or until the tomatoes are wrinkled and just begin to brown. Remove the garlic from the pan, unwrap, and let cool. Scatter the asparagus and shrimp over the tomatoes and roast for 10 minutes more, or until the shrimp are curled and the asparagus is tender. Remove roasting pan from oven and cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, cook pasta. While the pasta is cooking, separate the garlic cloves and squeeze out soft pulp. Mash to a paste.

Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Add the remaining 1 Tbs. of oil, mashed garlic, lemon juice, herbs and salt & pepper, tossing to evenly coat the pasta with the seasonings. Transfer the pasta to the roasting pan and toss gently to combine, making sure to scrape up any bits that have stuck to the pan.

Notes: I have used rosemary and basil, and oregano and thyme combinations too. A handful of quartered crimini mushrooms tossed with a little olive oil and added to the roasting pan about 5 minutes before the shrimp are a nice addition.

• User
    16 years ago

This is an easy task. I have a few pounds of local spot prawns in the freezer. When I want a quick dinner that doesn't take much thought I pull out a container. They defrost quick by running under water and I can shell and clean a pound in less than 10 minutes. A favourite because I usually have the ingredients on hand is pasta with shrimp/prawns in a tomato basil sauce.

Just saute some garlic in olive oil, add some hot red pepper, a can of tomatoes, simmer until the sauce is reduced. Add the prawns, cook for just a minute or two depending on the size of the prawns and add lots of fresh chopped basil. You can also add some dried basil to the sauce as it simmers if you don't have fresh basil. This sauce cooks in about the same time as it takes to boil water and cook the pasta.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Spanish Tapa - Garlic Shrimp
    ============================

6 Tablespoons olive oil
    4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 pound medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    2 tablespoons of chicken broth
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    salt
    2 Tablespoons minced parsley

Italian or French Bread cut into cubes

Heat the oil, garlic and red pepper flakes in a large, shallow pan.
    When the garlic just begins to turn golden, add the shrimp and cook
    over high heat for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the broth
    and lemon juice.

If serving in the living room, pour into a large earthenware bowl and
    sprinkle with salt and parsley. Serve immediately.

Goes great with a nice dry white wine, dry sherry, or Martini

Note: Use more chicken broth and lemon juice if you like more sauce
    to dip the bread into.

• Related Discussions

It's time to tune the Log Splitters Or Handle Smaller Wood.

Q

Comments (3)
    If your friends need some stressed or broken welds repaired on their Dixon Zero Turn or Ridding Mowers. Take it from me and tell them to just bring the Floating Deck where the repairs are needed âÂÂOnlyâ (vs helping to R&R the deck). Even for a friend that is too time consuming vs the welding repairs. I think they will Slow The Mower or Purchase A Tractor to cut th open City Property (that has never been occupied, appearing as Parks but new holes and Etc). This was our 2nd repair in about 5 yrs and I hope our last. There possibly had to be some neglect for the deck to need as many stressed or broken welds repaired.
    ...See More

What is the coldest night time temperature they can handle?

Q

Comments (8)
    They can take more cold when they are hardened off in the fall. Meaning let stay outdoors as the temps gradually get colder. The coldest I had them without damage this winter was 29 F with a sheet over them and 32 without any sheet. I think other factors can play into that like microclimate, humidity, how many consecutive hours at those temps they are exposed to, etc. Once I got under 27 they got bad top damage and stem damage on seedpods even with protection. Once it hit around 24-25F the stems were toast even on the big ones and even with protection like cardboard around the stems and frost cloth etc. If I were bringing brugs from a warmer area to a colder area like now in the spring, then I would prob bring them out when night temps are in the 40's like karyn said. They are more tender now and have to get used to it.
    ...See More

lol.....it's the holidays...can't you see the humor?

Q

Comments (10)
    that firebox is a Schrader and I bought it from a friend, about 20 years ago..I had another friend put it in and seal it..it's only a metal sheet in the back and sides, so it keeps the fire more contained but wasn't anything that was either already here or even necessary. I don't use it all that much and if the power goes out, with a proper screen, there's plenty enough heat from it...and then there are the generators...plural! lol he works up in the hills, so generators are a foreman's friend. I do believe he has about 5 of them. not much to worry about in the event of power outage. we could accommodate the neighborhood, I do believe..lol I liked the look of it, in the beginning but I'm to the point now, of just wanting the fireplace to be more decoration than function. I"m not so "little house on the prairie" mentality anymore, since I can't be lifting the firewood, like when I burned all the time, when the kids were in school and would come home to a roaring fire. geez, I even used to bake fresh bread, once in a while for them...hot bread, with butter all drizzled over it..., not so now....I just turn up the heat and curl up on the couch...no afternoon noise, or chaos anymore. and the dog has relocated to the end of the block, at my oldest son's place..lol she gets much more attention over there. it's just me and the chirping birds, during the day. (5 love birds and 1 cockatiel)
    ...See More

REVEAL! - Okay, you asked for it.. lol

Q

Comments (40)
    Cheryl, we almost dropped that drawer too. The Kitchenaide mixer has it's own cabinet with this stand that pops out. We kept looking at things we could drop to save money, like I said... not wealthy at all.. lol.. but it would not have affected anything so we threw it back in. I tell ya what though, you can still have some pretty darn cool drawers and cabinets and such out there aftermarket. Don't give up on your paper towels! ;) Like I tell my wife (AFTER I got the kitchen.. lol).... I can cook on a $200 stove, but this gives me more fun when I want it....but a lot of times, it is the same old thing as you guys. The problem I run into is it is sooooo easy to remember you are on a budget and go "I can cook this and this and.." yea.. vicious :P BUT.. next week, I am doing Scalopini de pollo, or however it is spelled ;) R
    ...See More
  • canarybird01
    16 years ago

In Spanish tapa bars and restaurants, this is usually prepared in individual ramekins and served sizzling hot.

Eaten with a fork and a small crusty bread. They're easy to prepare:

- (Gambas al Ajillo)
    For 1 individual serving:

3 TBS olive oil
    1 clove of garlic, sliced finely
    1 piece of chili pepper, sliced into rings
    10 peeled raw prawns
    pinch of paprika
    bread
    parsley (optional)

1) Put the oil, garlic and chili in a small flameproof ramekin. Put it on the heat until oil is quite hot.

2) Add the prawns and paprika and cook just until the prawns turn pink and curl slightly.

3) Serve immediately, while still sizzling, accompanied by bread and topped optionally with a bit of chopped parsley.

SharonCb

• shaun
    16 years ago

Hot Peel N Eat Shrimp!

Put the raw, in the shell shrimp in a zip lock bag, add 1/4 olive oil, 4 cloves of minced garlic, salt/pepper/red pepper flakes and a splash of white wine.

Let that sit in the fridge all day long.

When you're ready for this treat, Heat a large pan, and dump the whole bag of shrimp into the pan. Cook til their pink.

Pour into a bowl, pass the napkins!

• pkramer60
    16 years ago

Great, now I see this after putting the meatloaf int he oven and the shrimps went back to the freezer since I could think what to do with them....Hrrmphmmm!

Cutting and pasting.

• User
    16 years ago

How about Etouffee using prawns instead of crawfish.

Or this spicy prawn curry. If I'd thought of it earlier I would have made the Prawn curry for dinner tonight. I even have all the ingredients on hand.

Crawfish Étouffée
    =================
    Source: Cindy

I used fresh Prawns.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 celery ribs, chopped
    1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 large shallot, chopped
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
    2 pounds cooked, peeled crawfish tails*
    Hot cooked rice
    Garnishes: chopped fresh chives, ground red pepper

MELT butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and
    next 4 ingredients; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add flour, salt,
    and red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until caramel colored (about
    10 minutes). Add next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, 5
    minutes or until thick and bubbly. Stir in crawfish; cook 5 minutes or
    until thoroughly heated. Serve with rice. Garnish, if desired. Prep: 35
    min., Cook: 30 min.

*2 pounds frozen cooked crawfish tails, thawed and drained, may be
    substituted for fresh crawfish.

Spicy Prawn Curry
    =================

Source: the yummyco.com

This prawn curry tastes great, and is absolutely fantastic because, instead of being based on spices that need hours of cooking, it's made with fresh herbs, which means that it's quick.

For the curry paste:
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin or whole seeds, crushed
    1 teaspoon ground coriander or whole seeds, crushed
    2 or 3 whole fresh green chillies to your taste
    3 large thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
    3 fresh lemongrass stalks, trimmed back & chopped
    4 cloves garlic, peeled
    4 handfuls fresh coriander with stalks
    6 salad onions, washed and trimmed
    The zest of 1 lime and juice of 2 limes
    30ml olive oil

For the prawn curry:
    200g fine green beans, trimmed
    200g baby corn
    400ml can coconut milk
    30ml tablespoons light or dark soy sauce
    300g cooked, peeled king prawns, chilled or frozen
    . Method

Throw the all the curry paste ingredients into a food processor and
    whizz up to a fine paste.

In a hot wok or casserole-type pan, pour in a little oil, add the green
    beans and baby corn and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the curry paste
    and coconut milk, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Season
    with soy sauce, add the prawns and cook for 1 minute (if using frozen
    prawns, add them 2 minutes before the end of cooking time).

Serve immediately with some light, fluffy rice.

Chefs Tips:

When the curry paste is made, place in an airtight container and cover
    with a little oil. It will last for a month in the fridge or even
    longer in the freezer.

Try smearing a little paste over cod, haddock, monkfish or swordfish -
    it's surprisingly delicate and tasty.

For veggies, replace the prawns with mixed vegetables of your choice.

To turn this into a spicy chicken curry, replace the prawns with 4
    cooked chicken breasts, shredded or cut into thin strips.

• changeling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well ladies you have to recognize the rules and have fun!!

"1" Recipe only (per cook/person/family) that you fix for you/family per person! Thats it!

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

Well, living in Maryland I am required to have a supply of Old Bay on hand at all times hon! LOL This is the favorite way to eat shrimp in this house.

The Maryland version of peel and eat shrimp.

1 lb of shells on shrimp
    Old Bay seasoning

Put a few shrimp at a time in dry hot skillet. Cook on one side for a minute or 2. Flip over to the other side, cook until pink and just beginning to curl. Place in large bowl,sprinkle on the Old Bay. Repeat until all the shrimp are cooked. Make sure you sprinkle with Old Bay each time you put shrimp in the bowl.
    Toss well to coat. The steam of the shrimp in the bowl wets the Old Bay and Ouila! yum.
    Peel and eat, dipping into cocktail sauce. Buy it or make it from ketchup mixed with the desired amount of horseradish.

Sue

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Only one???? That's gonna be tough!

I love, love love Cindy's Louisiana BBQ shrimp, and Scampi, and Shrimp Dijon, and....

Ah well. just one, huh?

How about this one...it's from Weed. We love it!

FESTIVE SHRIMP (Serves 4)
    1/3 cup butter
    2 TBL olive oil
    2 shallots, minced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled & deveined
    3 small plum tomatoes, seeded & chopped
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp each, salt & pepper
    1/2 cup dry sherry
    3 bunches fresh spinach, rinsed, drained, stems removed
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    Hot cooked rice
    Melt the butter w/the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
    Add the shallots, garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Sauté 5 minutes.
    Add the shrimp, saute 2 -3 minutes so they are about 1/2 cooked. Remove from pan.
    Add tomatoes and sherry, simmer for 5 minutes.
    Add the cream and spinach, simmer so cream reduces a bit. Add shrimp back to pan, simmer another 2 minutes to finish shrimp. Serve over rice. ~~
    Posted by Weed

Linda

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Fun?

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

i'll add shrimp newburg to the mix. although there are times i use a mix of seafood, i also make it with just shrimp. what i love is that it can be served over rice, pasta, puff pastry shells or toast points, but one of my favorite ways is in crepes, served with a side of roasted asparagus and a nice tossed salad.

SHRIMP NEWBURG
    pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined sauted in butter. set aside.

mix 1/2 teaspoon each of paprika, salt and white ground pepper to 2 tablespoons of flour. on medium-low heat, melt butter - add flour mix and whisk until blended. gradually add 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup cream, whisk until smooth. add 1/4 to 1/2 cup sherry and stir until well blended, starting to thicken and bubble. sauce sould be velvetly smooth. add shrimp to pan to bring back up to heat and serve immediately.

enjoy!

• dances_in_garden
    16 years ago

Do you like spicy?

Bring a pot of water to boil. Toss in a chopped onion and a lemon, cut in half. Toss in the shrimp. Cook just until the shrimp turn pink and are opaque all the way through. It doesn't take long, and if you boil them too long they could turn tough.

While waiting for the water to boil, toss into the blender:

-1 dried red hot pepper, seeds and stem removed and soaked in hot water (california or new mexico are good)
    -1 fresh red hot pepper (anything you can get, the meatier the better), coarsely chopped
    -2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped

Puree these ingredients with enough pepper soaking water to make a paste or sauce. Add salt and lemon juice to taste. For a milder version, you could add roasted red peppers to tame the heat.

Heat a couple of teaspoons of oil in a non-stick skillet. Add the paste and "stir fry" it until the darkens a little and thickens.

Drain the hot shrimp, and toss with the paste. You can add a bit of chicken stock (or reserved shrimp pot water) to thin it as necessary so it coats the shrimp.

You can eat right away like peel and eat shrimp, or chill and serve cold. You will be amazed how much of the pepper flavour gets into there!

• Lars
    16 years ago

In the winter (which is almost over), I like to make Spicy Shrimp Soup or Shrimp Udon Noodle Soup, although those recipes use 1/2 pound of shrimp each. I use a full pound of shrimp when I make gumbo, but that has a lot of other seafood as well. My Garlic Shrimp recipe uses 1-1/2 pounds of shrimp, and my Pad Thai recipe uses 12 oz of shrimp (or chicken). If I want shrimp cocktail, I mix some of my own chili sauce with lemon juice and a bit of horseradish, and maybe a bit of Worcestershire sauce and a dash of hot sauce.

I also like to make shrimp etouffee, as Ann suggested. I prefer crawfish, but they are a lot more expensive here than on the Gulf Coast, where I used to live.

Lars

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Cindy's is a favorite of mine too. I add a salad lots of crusty bread and call it dinner.

David

Louisianna BBQ Shrimp (Cindy Mac)

1 - 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp
    1 stick butter
    3 TBL Worcestershire sauce ( thought that was a typo but it's the correct quantiy)
    1/4 tso cayenne
    1/2 tsp coarse salt
    1/4 tsp fresh pepper
    2 tsp fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
    1TBSP fresh rosemary
    1 TBSP olive oil

Dehead shrimp if neccessary but don't peel. Place in a shallow dish such as a glass pie plate. Mix rest of the ingredients together and pour over shrimp. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.

BAKE in a preheatd 350 oven , uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Serve with French bread to sop up all the wonderful juice.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Rules? (rofl)

Remember that scene in The Matrix - 'there is no spoon' - well, here on the forum, 'there are no rules' - I'm NOT trying to be preachy, just descriptive! We're an uncontrollable bunch. Even swap rules get bent, LOL! Fun game, please continue, I'll jump in when I can, but I don't do shrimp!

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

Well, I have to agree with Sue about Old Bay, it's the only way to eat shrimp! Well, chilled or hot boiled shrimp anyway! I can't find the whole spice Old Bay anymore, so I make my own. Here is my favorite shrimp recipe.

For 1 lb Shrimp:

1 quart water
    3 bay leaves, whole
    1 tsp whole peppercorns
    1 tsp whole allspice
    1/2 tsp whole cardamom
    1/2 tsp whole cloves
    1 tsp whole dill seed

Bring water to boil. Add seasoning, then add shrimp. Boil gently until pink, about 4 minutes. Drain. Serve hot or cold with cocktail sauce.

• compumom
    16 years ago

Changeling, your timing was perfect! I had a lb or so of large prawns in the fridge from DH's trip to Costco on Monday that were begging to be used,tonight! Thanks to you I made Gina's delicious lemon linguine and we both loved it!
    I also had plenty of lemons thanks to Jain's generosity, and this is absolutely a recipe that I'd make again! Sharon, thanks for touting it!

• brenda55
    16 years ago

We really like the Gingered Shrimp Cakes that Nancy posted. Thanks, Nancy! They are great and on the menu tonight. Here's the recipe:

Gingered Shrimp Cakes
    1 lb. large shrimp, cooked
    4 scallions, sliced, green parts included
    1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
    Grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 C fresh corn, cooked, cut off cob (can use frozen)
    1 lg egg
    3 Tbsp mayonnaise
    1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
    1/2 tsp salt
    Pinch of ground black pepper
    1 1/2 C fresh bread crumbs or panko (divided)
    2 Tbsp olive oil (or more, for frying)
    1 Tbsp butter (with the oil, for frying)
    Coarsely chop shrimp in bowl. Add scallions, ginger, lemon zest, parsley and corn. Combine mayonnaise, egg, hot sauce, salt and pepper and fold into shrimp mixture.
    Add 1 Cup breadcrumbs and gently mix.
    Form into 4 patties and gently dredge in remaining 1/2 C breadcrumbs, adding more if necessary.
    Put on a plate, cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 min and up to 4 hours.
    Heat oil and butter in large skillet over med-high heat. Saute cakes until cooked through and golden brown on both sides, adding more oil to skillet as needed, about 8 minutes.
    Chile Garlic Sauce
    To make Chile-garlic cream sauce, combine 2 Tbsp chile-garlic sauce ( from Asia aisle at supermarket) and juice of 1/2 lime with 1/2 cup sour cream or cream fraiche.
    Spoon about 3 Tbsp of sauce on each plate and place shrimp cake on it, serve immediately.
    Makes four servings.
    Variation: Substitute lump crab meat for the shrimp.
    Nancy
    (Nancy's notes: I used FP to chop Shrimp and used frozen corn and put it in the FP also. I used sour cream in the sauce)

Brenda

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Brenda, that was the next recipe that I would have posted if "the rules" hadn't said just one recipe. Glad you posted it.

Nancy

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

I can vouch for Cindy's etoufee; planned to make it this weekend, but now I have a lot of other options, don't I.

Clip, clip, clip

Bubbe

• jessyf
    16 years ago

If someone wants to post a second recipe I'll be glad to do that for them - discreetly - just email me (changeling I'll take my whipping now)

• changeling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

GUYS, this is incredible!

I really thought that when I started this post I would hear a lot of good/mundane recipes that were prepared across the country that everyone sees in cookbooks all the time.
    I cook a heck of a lot of stir fry with shrimp so basically I thought I would hear a lot of that type of recipes. So far I have been absolutely amazed!
    I will admit that there are a few recipes mentioned that I cook, OK , maybe 1 or 2 ! however the variety of shrimp dishes that you ladies/chefs prepare in a ongoing family atmosphere is astounding!

MY PLEDGE, I am definitely going to give a lot of these recipes a go, I am not kidding. The fact that you cook these for yourself and family's is proof that the cookbooks just might not have the hold on the American kitchen they think!

I will have to modify wizardmom recipe, a teaspoon of "Saffron" could get a little expensive, is there a substitute?

jcrowley99 I'm a Maryland man and know very well about "Old Bay", however it's not the best way to go!
    I have been mixing 1/2 Old Bay to 1/2 Zatarains crab boil, it's not awesome yet, but I'm working on it, let you know.

Ann t, If you don't write a book you are crazy and it's obvious you're not, If the food is as great as the pictures, success is a given, get it going lady!
    To say I would be trying the recipes would be an understatement, awesome presentation!
    That is something "Your Pictures" taught me, I just didn't know that presentation could mean/add so much to a recipe/presentation!
    I sure hope your cooking is as good as the presentations.
    I'm having crab legs tonight, looking at those pictures made me start thinking, now that is a compliment you will not hear very often!

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

Changling- I have never heard a Maryland man say Old Bay ain't it!! There are other local crabhouse variations I admit. but Old Bay is it for us. You havent had my shrimp. or my crabcakes. :) Sue also in MD

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Changling, I've made that dish with and without the safforn, it's good either way but the saffron really does add to it.

The recipe only call for 1/2 tsp saffron. Fluff it up!

Nancy

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

Changling, thanks for the tip but I have tried Zatarains, I can't eat it. I have a heart valve problem that is very sensitive to spicy foods, Zatarains is waaaaay too spicy for me to use. And I only used a TBSP of the stuff the one time I tried it! I actually didn't really like the flavor (good thing!) although my husband did. He is a huge fan of Cajun food. I don't cook any Cajun food at home (no red pepper for me) so he gets his fixes at Heaven on Seven. Can y'all get the whole spice Old Bay by you?

• changeling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's just not possible for me to leave this thread alone without answering/asking questions, You guys just blew me away!!

jcrowley99, sorry to hear health problem. I've never known about the whole spice old bay. The commercial guys have whole spice blends, but they won't talk to you sorry to say.

wizardnm/Nancy LOL, I'll do as you say exactly, but I'll have to get some first. That recipe sounded great!

cooperbailey/Sue, WHOOOO there sue, in Maryland old bay is in a shaker right next to the salt and pepper, golly everyone knows that! But there are "boils" that use whole spices (see jcrowley99) that might very well shake your imagination, and besides you haven't sent me your crabcake recipe yet, LOL!

Ann T/Chef Ann, what could I possibly say, your photography has literally "Astounded" the imagination/taste of everyones dreams into a state of euphoria. If you think for one second that I am not going to try cooking everyone of those dishes, dream on! The only problem I have with your presentations is witch one do I try first, well it's going to be the first one (you didn't name it), "silly girl" (from the movie KILL BILL)! Chef Ann wasn't a mistake in terms by the way !!!!!!!!!!

Dances in Garden, Dam, I wished you lived next to me, I love to dance! I have never seen that recipe before in my life but I am definitely going to try it, why is my head starting to sweat, LOL?

Good grief, I'm starving!!
    There are so many awesome sounding recipes in this posting I feel that I have been "slapped" into a world of CHEFS!!
    I will be cooking them as time/days permit and feel like Julia Childs is sitting on my shoulder, saying, now just listen you idiot and follow instructions, I'll try!
    Change

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

My favorite way to eat shrimp is to skewer then brush with a mixture of: butter, teriyaki sauce, garlic powder and a bit of honey mixed together.
    Grill until charred and somewhat smoked.

I would rather have three shrimp prepared like this than a dozen non grilled.

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

Impossible to name a single favorite, but here's one that ranks way up there on my family's hit parade. (If you're a wimp when it comes to spices, please ignore this post...lol On the other hand, if you adore heat, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven.)

BBQ SHRIMP

2 lbs. green shrimp (If you're not familiar with the term, "green" simply means that they're raw and still in the shell)
    1 cup (2 sticks) butter
    2 Tablespoons dried basil (or do it up right with 2 or 3 times that amount of fresh basil)
    2 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    (No, that was not a typo -- remember that you are seasoning *through* the shells here)
    juice of 2 large lemons
    6 Tablespoons chili sauce (the tomato-based kind that's similar to ketchup)
    6 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
    6 Tablespoons olive oil
    4 Tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    2 or 3 garlic cloves, to taste, minced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thaw shrimp under cold, running water if necessary. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Place shrimp in a roasting pan in a single layer. (A 9"x13" casserole dish isn't quite large enough.)

Melt butter over low heat. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Pour sauce evenly over shrimp. Cover with foil and bake for approximately 30 minutes, until done.

The shrimp itself isn't that hot, but the extra dipping sauce is. Serve it on the side, with lots of hot French bread, and women will kiss your feet.

sm

• changeling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

SM, I like spicy food very much! When I first read your recipe I was sure that you were just trying to "Set me on fire" and mad about something, I've had a lot of that lately!
    However, I read your recipe/instructions a couple of times and I realized you wear doing this with the shells on the shrimp! witch does make a difference! It is still HOT, I mean HOT, girl, you know it! However I am not one to draw back unless mortally wounded and I have a feeling there is something there that I like, probably a lot! It's definitely going to get a go, thanks!
    That last sentence told me something that I think I told you! What did you think, did you like it? Please let me know.
    One question: When you say raw, I understand but does that include the heads, I need this to know how to judge the recipe because I can only get "Heads Off" shrimp, sorry to say!

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

Change, I was in too big a hurry when posting that recipe for you last night and got a little sloppy towards the end. Please *delete* that final teaspoon of pepper (next to last item on ingredients list). For some unknown reason, the original recipe had a two-step preparation of the marinade, so the pepper was divided. I've always mixed it all in one step but forgot to allow for that when copying. Sorry! (Although, what's 1 more tsp. of pepper at that point??? lol) I also forgot to say that refrigerating uncooked shrimp in the marinade for a short time will improve the flavor. But don't let it sit long (30 min. to an hour, max) or it gets tough.

No, it's definitely not a clumsy attempt to incinerate your tongue. :) My sons could eat it once a week, and it's so easy that they've been preparing it themselves since they were teen-agers. The only way you can mess it up is if the shrimp are under/over-cooked. Since you cook shrimp a lot, you'll probably be able to tell just by looking, but it never hurts to peel a piece at about the 25-minute mark and test it again before serving.

One other thing I should have mentioned... DO NOT serve this to a young lady when she's nicely dressed! This is strictly a blue jeans kinda dish, because you'll practically need to be hosed down afterwards. (Seriously. Allow a half dozen paper napkins each, and those little packaged hand wipes are also a good idea for guests.) In Cajun country, they spread newspapers on the table instead of a cloth and just throw the shells on the paper as they peel and eat. This is really great fun for a (very casual) party. Afterwards, all the host has to do is wad up the newspaper and carry it out to the garbage can. How neat is that?

As to your question about green shrimp -- you may be right that, technically, the term refers to the heads-on type. I'm really not sure. We're so far inland that they're not even available here unless you special order and pay air freight to have them flown in, so I sometimes forget they exist. When I say "shrimp", I always mean the headless type.

About the last sentence -- I'm lost. I didn't know we'd ever 'talked' before. If I'm confused, please refresh my memory.

sm

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

I feel like Forest Gump's shrimper friend Bubba..........
    how can you choose just one??

Shrimp Dip
    Boiled Shrimp
    Shrimp and Corn Soup
    Shrimp stuffed bell peppers
    Shrimp and Ground Beef stuffed bell peppers
    Shrimp Fettuccine
    Shrimp Maque Choux
    Shrimp Po Boys
    Red Shrimp Jambalaya
    White Shrimp Jambalaya
    Popcorn Shrimp
    Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
    Shrimp Fritters
    Shrimp Omelet
    Taco Shrimp Casserole
    Shrimp and Cheese Casserole
    Shrimp and Artichoke Casserole
    Shrimp Delight
    Shrimp Boulettes
    Shrimp Balls
    Shrimp Mold
    Shrimp Okra Gumbo
    Shrimp Mornay
    Shrimp Cocktail
    Shrimp stuffed Mirlitons
    Shrimp Stuffed Egg Plant
    Stuffed Tomato and Shrimp
    Shrimp Sauce Piquante
    Shrimp Creole
    Shrimp Stew
    Shrimp Etouffee
    Shrimp Spaghetti Fisherman's Style
    Stuffed Shrimp
    Shrimp Lasagna
    Shrimp and Macaroni Salad
    Shrimp Remoulade
    Shrimp, Macaroni and Cheese Delight
    Shrimp Eggplant Casserole
    Sweet and Sour Shrimp
    Shrimp Corn Bread Casserole
    Broiled Shrimp Scampi
    Marinated Shrimp
    Shrimp Newburg on Toast
    Shrimp Soup
    Shrimp Bisque
    Shrimp Pie
    Shrimp Au Gratin
    Shrimp Stuffed Potatoes
    White Beans with Shrimp
    Shrimp Shish Kabobs
    Shrimp spaghetti Au Garlic
    Shrimp Stuffed Pistolettes

• changeling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

SM to Changeling

About the last sentence -- I'm lost. I didn't know we'd ever 'talked' before. If I'm confused, please refresh my memory.

sm
    Maybe it's me, hell I'm confused most of the time. There was a post about "cabbage" recipes and I was giving this old family recipe to a lady and in the end I happened to say, "your husband will kiss your feet" with this recipe (not exact words).
    Your remark about "women will kiss my feet" (OK with me!), just rung a bell, if I'm wrong and it wasn't you please don't take offense, but the "idea" is alive and well!
    Change

• pat_t
    16 years ago

Am I too late to join the fun?

This one from Ginger in St. Thomas is really good:

FESTIVE SHRIMP

1/3 cup butter
    2 Tblsp. olive oil
    2 shallots, minced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 lb. uncooked shrimp, peeled & deveined
    3 small plum tomatoes, seeded & chopped
    1/2 tsp. dried basil
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    1/2 tsp. each, salt & pepper
    1/2 cup dry sherry
    3 bunches fresh spinach, rinsed, drained, stems removed
    1/2 cup heavy cream

Hot cooked rice Melt the butter w/the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallots & garlic. Sauté 5 minutes. Add the shrimp, tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt & pepper. Sauté until the shrimp begin to turn pink.
    Add the sherry & spinach to the shrimp mixture. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until the spinach wilts, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cream. Heat through, stirring frequently. Serve over hot cooked rice.
    (Serves 4).

Recipe by: Ginger in St. Thomas.

And from our beautiful Sol:

GRILLED TEQUILA-CHIPOTLE SHRIMP

2 Tblsp. canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
    4 garlic cloves
    2 Tblsp. Tequila
    2 Tblsp. fresh lime juice
    2 Tblsp. olive oil
    1/2 tsp. salt
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    2 Tblsp. chopped Cilantro leaves*
    1-1/2 lbs. large shrimp, shelled and deveined

Prepare a medium-hot fire on the grill or use grill pan.

Combine chipotles, garlic, Tequila, lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and cilantro in a food processor; process until mixture is puréed. Put the shrimp in a heavy-duty plastic bag; add the marinade and let stand for 20 minutes.

Grill shrimp for about 3 minutes, then turn and cook another 3 minutes, or as soon as they turn pink.

Recipe courtesy: Jacqueline McMahan. Posted by Sol at the ths.com Cooking Forum.

Sols note: *I have Cilantro issues, so I substituted flat leaf parsley. Btw, try grilling a couple of limes, along with the shrimp.

• disneyginger
    16 years ago

Shrimp Dip
    1/2 pint sour cream
    2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened to room temperature
    1/2 cup celery, chopped fine
    1/2 cup finely diced onion
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Dash of red pepper sauce
    1/4 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper
    Juice of 1 fresh small to medium lemon, (about 1 tablespoon)
    2 4-1/2 ounce cans shrimp, (or a 1 1/2 cups cooked shrimp finely chopped/minced)
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    Optional: 1 to 3 teaspoons of prepared horseradish, to your taste.

Combine sour cream with cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Add celery, onions, lemon juice, salt, pepper, red pepper sauce, cayenne pepper and garlic powder, (add the optional horseradish at this point if you are using it). Drain the shrimp if you are using canned shrimp, and check to be sure no shells are remain if you are using fresh cooked shrimp. Fold the shrimp into cream cheese mixture, (if you are using canned shrimp, they will break-up, and that is what you want). Place the dip into a crock or a serving bowl and chill for at least a few hours. Serve with crackers, rusks, or toasted bread points. (This is a great dip to stuff into celery sticks).

Tequila Lime Shrimp
    2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup tequila
    2 large cloves of garlic, minced
    2 large shallots, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon honey
    1/2 teaspoon flaked red chile (or to taste)
    1/2 cup olive oil

Thread the shrimp onto bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water for at least an hour, poke through the tail, then up through the top head end to secure each shrimp twice. You should be able to get 3-4 shrimp per skewer if you are using large shrimp. Lay the skewers in a shallow non-metal dish, (this is important as the lime juice will "react" with metal, you must use glass, ceramic, or a plastic type dish). Then, in a medium to large mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, tequila, garlic, shallots, cumin, salt, honey, red chile, and as you are whisking, slowly add the olive oil until everything is well blended. At this time, taste for seasoning. You might want to add more cumin, chile or salt for example. Pour the marinade over the skewered shrimp and chill them, turning occasionally for not more than about 4 hours, (the lime juice will "cook" the shrimp like ceviche if they are marinated longer, about 30 minutes to an hour is perfect). Grill each skewer on a medium heat about 4 minutes on each side. Depending on your size of shrimp, watch closely as you might want a minute longer or a bit less of time. The shrimp need to be pink and opaque. These are terrific as appetizers, as a great choice to serve with grilled steaks or chicken. They are great cooled and used in spinach salad.

• changeling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is getting extraordinary great for me!!

disneyginger, I have practically the same recipe for your Tequila Lime Shrimp, awesome!
    I received the recipe from a lady in Cuba. Unfortunately where I am (Maryland) I can only get shrimp with out the heads so, I cut the grilling time down to about 2-3 minutes (per side), It's sort of a do it by experience type of thing. I normally only marinate for about 45 minutes (plenty of time for through taste).
    Any way we are both on the same idea and it is really great. I don't think I have ever been able to get the cumin exactly right because it seems to change in intensity so much from batch to batch.
    ceviche, not sure here, is this where the shrimp gets cooked by acidic action?

Change

• dances_in_garden
    16 years ago

I've been thinking about this and wanted to add an addendum to mine LOL.

There are other ways to make the pepper paste. You can start raw and "fry" it like I suggested.

You could chop the ingredients and saute until softened, then puree. No need to fry.

You could roast the raw peppers (adding sweet red peppers) first, then puree. Again no need to fry.

Basically, what you want is a paste of cooked peppers (sweet and hot to your taste), garlic, salt, and even some oil if you want it.

• antiquesilver
    16 years ago

In Richmond, Old Bay is the only acceptable spice for true steamed or boiled shrimp. DH steams & I boil but either way, the water has a generous amount of Old Bay - & lots of ketchup/horseradish for dipping. But 1 lb won't make more than a decent size appetizer for 2!

• velodoug
    16 years ago

We were in just this situation on Saturday with a half pound of shrimp for two people. I quick sautéed the shrimp with a bit of garlic in olive oil and finished it with a dab of butter and a sprinkle of Old Bay. I served it on Barilla thick spaghetti (our new favorite) with a generous grating of parmesan and a simple green salad with a balsamic, mustard and oil dressing.

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

Well I'm late to the party! I have made some of the dishes already posted and I can vouch for how good they are. Some new ones posted that have been copied & pasted and put in my "TO TRY" file. My TO TRY file is getting quite large!

For a MD boy saying that Old Bay is not good enough...well, I don't know how to respond to that. Looks like I have some neighbors on this board. I'm an Old Bay lover - we put it on corn-on-the-cob, coleslaw, etc. YUM!

• changeling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is for dixiedog ONLY! Because he is constantly trying to change the things I say and generally act like A NUT!

""

Well I'm late to the party! I have made some of the dishes already posted and I can vouch for how good they are. Some new ones posted that have been copied & pasted and put in my "TO TRY" file. My TO TRY file is getting quite large!

For a MD boy saying that Old Bay is not good enough...well, I don't know how to respond to that. Looks like I have some neighbors on this board. I'm an Old Bay lover - we put it on corn-on-the-cob, coleslaw, etc. YUM! ""

I promised the system manager I would not respond to a few "guys" that have been trying to piss on everything I try to say.
    However, enough is enough, I have absolutely no idea what your dam problem is but you seem to think you have a "Free Ticket" for attacking me, wake up you idiot !! ( notice, not pulling words)!
    Yes I am a Maryland boy that knows more about cooking crabs than your backside will ever know!
    NO, OLD BAY, is NOT the best way to go unless you are stupid enough to think that it is! It is great, I use it VERY often, but not as the only spice in the universe!
    The commercial steamed crab guys in (Maryland), do NOT use Old Bay only, is it getting through your thick skull?

You and a few of your male friends/playmates have evidently some reason for your continuous attacks!
    If you don't like what I have to say than DON'T answer!

Now come on back about how rude I am again, sooner are later these ladies are going to see what your little scheme is, you and your pals can play your little games all you want, I DON'T PLAY YOUR TYPE OF GAMES, GET IT !!!!

If you have any other reason/necessity/want to attack me any further, why don't you just do it by personal e-mail?
    Oh, I forgot, you are what is called an "Instigator"! You like to get people riled up then duck out of the picture with that " what did i do attitude"!
    If you are a man why don't you dam try acting like one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies I do apologize if my Language offended you in any way, but I am totally fed up with these guys!
    Enough is Enough!!

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

Now I know why cajuns don't mix Old Bay seasoning with our Zatarain's.

Dan

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

changeling, I'm not sure how to respond to this attack. First off, I'm a woman. Secondly, I don't believe I have ever said anything to you that was offensive and if I have I certainly do apologize. I'm not playing any games and I have no idea what you are talking about. Thirdly, I should have put a LOL or something after my response about being a MD boy not liking Old Bay. It was a joke - I was just kidding with a close neighbor/friend who lives in the area that I do. I was fooling around but obviously you took me completely the wrong way.

• shaun
    16 years ago

DixieDog, you have no reason to apologize, you said nothing wrong.

• trixietx
    16 years ago

Wow! I second what Shaun said!

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

Dixie, you are the one owed an apology. The OP called for a "Time out for fun.....".

I guess some people just can't handle that Zatarain's crab boil......vapors way too powerful. Seems to work its way too far up above the sinus cavity of some people. Cajuns know you can't mix that stuff with just any other spice mix.......makes things go BOOM rather than BAM. Shucks even Cajun wannabe Emeril knows that.

Dan

• jimtex
    16 years ago

Shaun, thanks for having the cojones to say what I should have a few hours ago.

• User
    16 years ago

My word where did that come from!

Dixie, you said nothing wrong, this guy is way out of line and ,as Dan's said, owes you an apology.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Ironic, isn't it, who can't handle the fun.

• changeling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

* Posted by dixiedog_2007 (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 18, 08 at 22:47

For a MD boy saying that Old Bay is not good enough...well, I don't know how to respond to that. Looks like I have some neighbors on this board. I'm an Old Bay lover - we put it on corn-on-the-cob, coleslaw, etc. YUM!

Well dixiedog, I do owe "you" an apology in my opinion! I had been attacked previously several times by some guys on this forum to the extent that it had just plain made me paranoid towards any one that I thought was a man!
    I am sincerely sorry! When I read your response I thought it was an attack on me as presenting untrue statements. The things I told you about the commercial guys is basically true as heck although they will not admit it because of the "Aura" that OB has established with tourists and residents as well. It's the "if it ain't old Bay it's not original BS"
    As I said I use it lots (shrimp, crabs+other), crab cakes, etc,. and so do "some" crab guys in Maryland, but is it the best for crabs, NO!
    I have set in too many crab feasts in my buddy's crab shack and other places and heard people say " You just can't get that taste from anything but OB", we just laugh! I hope you accept my apology, if not, that's OK to.

Changeling

• nosnowtn
    16 years ago

Changeling,
    WTF, that was at best a minimal apology. Try Prozac.
    Or Disney.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!