SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_15641057

REVEAL! - Okay, you asked for it.. lol

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Allrighty then.. let's see what we can do here. Now, the lighting on a few photos are not very good, so excuse the darkness. I will post duplicates of some areas so it has better lighting. Also, there are issues still needing to be addressed, small things, but I will point those out and feel free to go "I was gonna say!" .. lol.. because yea, it is what it is and is still a hell of a lot better than if we bought used and had to take what we got :P

So, on to da rat killin....

Oh, and I ramble... eh.. part of my charm :P

We started this process years and years ago. We wanted a "custom house"....i.e. I wanted 'the perfect kitchen'.. lol.. but we are humble folks...i.e. we did not win the lottery, so we could not afford it.

We looked at these builders back in 1999, and opted to go another route. Since that time, we built another home, sold that, bought another used home, sold that, and here we were in 2014, looking again.

Yes, I said that, 2014. We sent the first email starting this build in April of 2014. We had the major footprint of this house decided in June of 2014. We closed on the house on December 7th of 2016, a day that will live in infamy.... (gotta love that).

Through this, we dealt with a few hassles. Most hassles were very small, easily fixed, but made worse by a GC that...I'll give him credit.. he meant well and is a nice guy, but we did not know he had almost zero experience in doing GC work till after he left the company, shortly before we completed.

The saving grace of the company was the President of the company. Her name is Tommie Arnold and she just went off and started her own custom house company with her husband, Wayne, and we could not be any happier. Through it all, dealing with them was always a pleasure (and no, I am not saying that because they are on here, I do not think they ever look at this place, I am saying it because THEY are the single reason we did not flip out or blow up.

So, you are like, "stop, Russ.. we want pictures!".. okay.. getting there.

We have a lot of work to do still. They only built houses.. so we are now adding a barn, a fence, and the base of a future covered deck. I'll "reveal" those after they are done, expecting around June-ish.

So, here are the picture of what my wife calls, "The kitchen with bedrooms attached" (I may have to add more in a comment or something):

What we started with: I hate "breakfast nooks" but I must admit the windows we gave up sure were nice.

Showing the kitchen first as that is what you all love ;) Gumbo getting ready on the stove atm

Walking around the island is bothersome at times, but I totally forget it when I start cooking and do not have to worry about SPACE.. lol

Nothing says 'storage' like the fridge. I broke the trim the day it got installed.. they had forgotten to turn on the ice water line. I tried to do it and did not see a screw that was still in. Wayfair sent me an entire $325 kit out for free AND gave me a $25 credit. It was 2 days before Christmas and I had bought it almost 11.5 months prior. The guy said Merry Christmas, let's just say it is under warranty."

Love, Love, Love, Love.. did I mention Love the drawers!!! ;)

Paper towels.. we go through a lot.. darn dogs :P

Did I mention dogs?

We cook.. a LOT: These were deep fried Boudin eggrolls. Pepper jack cheese, boudin, sliced jalapenos, bell peppers, carrots. At the same time, momma is making homemade salsa

Making cookies is FAST with 3 ovens.. lol

Yes, and pies too...

oops.. gotta make a new post.. more pics!

Comments (40)

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Let's see... there ARE other parts of the house...

I hate paying stupid prices for furniture when I can make it. Not perfect.. but solid as hell...and when there is a cedar mill right down the road... why not?

We had ALL the floors done in the same ceramic wood tile.. much easier to clean, albeit the dirt outside and dogs make that a chore too.. heh

We added 96 tons of recycled asphalt.. that sure helped. Going to add a couple more loads after the barn etc goes in, to make it more even and clean, THEN the flowerbeds go in. More on that in a few minutes.. heh

All done, for now..

Master bath,.....low light...blech..

FINALLY got the mirror hung.. (I made the shelf you see part of in the mirror. Had to do it custom, the stores did not have the right size...momma also likes to stuff everything on them.. heh. Going to add his and her cabinets on each side to match the vanity later.

The living room will have a piano here eventually...

I HATE the TV wires.. but needed to be able to walk. Soon as the barn goes in, I will be designing and building a custom cabinet that will fit there and hide ALL that junk... blech...no idea what is on the TV...cannot lay the rug down till the puppy is house trained better :P

They came in and added another row of tile to this.. that was an amateur job, but it looks nicer now ;)

Momma's bathtub.. she loves this part.. heh

erp.. more posts!

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh..
    the lights are off center.. they come in next week to redo those AND
    the ones over the island..I hate that they are not centered. Guest bathroom

Everyone needs a cross wall, right? Check out the form and spoon on the walls. Would you believe that was a major... MAJOR point in the design? My grandmother gave those to me before she passed. They were in her kitchen since before I was born.

OH.. to cut the grass.. I got this 3yr old mower for $300 off clist.. BAM! (it cleaned up almost brand new with a little soap.. SCORE!

The mailbox matches the house.. lol

LAST ONE (I think).. testing the stove for the first time.. THANK YOU SO MUCH TREVOR!! (I have red knobs on it now.. heh)

Oh fine.. one more cooking.. lol

• Related Discussions

okay- you asked for more and here they are !

Q

Comments (4)
    you know carla, i'm surprised that very few people have sweet chariot in a hanging basket; in my opinion, it doesn't seem like it would do well any other way. in fact, at the nursery where i buy my roses they only grow SC in a hanging basket, and they sell out fast. and suzy- rainbow sorbet has been a real treat for me; huge blooms that smell like apple, and that shiny foliage that we want to see.
    ...See More

Time for fun if you can handle it, LOL!

Q

Comments (54)
    * Posted by dixiedog_2007 (My Page) on Mon, Feb 18, 08 at 22:47 Well I'm late to the party! I have made some of the dishes already posted and I can vouch for how good they are. Some new ones posted that have been copied & pasted and put in my "TO TRY" file. My TO TRY file is getting quite large! For a MD boy saying that Old Bay is not good enough...well, I don't know how to respond to that. Looks like I have some neighbors on this board. I'm an Old Bay lover - we put it on corn-on-the-cob, coleslaw, etc. YUM! Well dixiedog, I do owe "you" an apology in my opinion! I had been attacked previously several times by some guys on this forum to the extent that it had just plain made me paranoid towards any one that I thought was a man! I am sincerely sorry! When I read your response I thought it was an attack on me as presenting untrue statements. The things I told you about the commercial guys is basically true as heck although they will not admit it because of the "Aura" that OB has established with tourists and residents as well. It's the "if it ain't old Bay it's not original BS" As I said I use it lots (shrimp, crabs+other), crab cakes, etc,. and so do "some" crab guys in Maryland, but is it the best for crabs, NO! I have set in too many crab feasts in my buddy's crab shack and other places and heard people say " You just can't get that taste from anything but OB", we just laugh! I hope you accept my apology, if not, that's OK to. Changeling
    ...See More

DH asked if paint pints are returnable....lol...please tell me wh

Q

Comments (14)
    First, tell the painter you need to reschedule because you can't find the color you love. Second and so on, Remember that a couple of coats actually can create a "richer" look. Now remember this next question comes from the colors' resolution on my monitor: Do you realize everything in your home is pretty much the same value? Value is light or dark. Everything is of the same grey/white/tan/hint of blue + your black appliances. Shoot! Even your dog and your dog's toy blend in. IMHO, you need something to make that lovely granite stand out. Something darker. Chocolate is dramatic for someone afraid to invest in paint, but I agree it might be a great choice. A darker, steel blue perhaps? I'm one fighting with my greens turning turquoise in natural light. grrrr... Finally found the perfect color with the Valspar, which I tried simply based upon their current TV ad. Look. It's just paint. It's not a lifetime investment or affecting peace on earth. Buy some darker colors and paint one wall. Make certain your granite and cabinets are involved. And live with it for a week. Pick the paint chips you've looked at, liked, but immediately dismissed as too dark. You've got a gorgeous kitchen and some cool chairs in your family room. Show 'em off!
    ...See More

My attempt of my Kitchen reveal! Thanks for asking!

Q

Comments (36)
    Inspired - Love what you did with your kitchen. It all flows together beautifully. I love those custom colors - It is so much fun figuring out the color that works. Great job on the toe kick areas, island, and more! Now, how about some interior drawer and cabinet pictures. Congratulations! A2gemini
    ...See More
  • eam44
    7 years ago

Wow. Well done! I hope you and your family enjoy your new home in the best of health!

• bpath
    7 years ago

What is the floor plan you ended up with? Kitchen AND whole house!

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

lol.. forgot to post that. Everything was essentially the same, but I had to add to the kitchen to fit that all in.

The first job was to straighten out the left wall in that picture.. here...

I...er...WE.. lol.. expanded the kitchen into the breakfast nook and then straightened the back and left side walls. The roof cost dropped due to the lack of the structure changes. We did all sorts of that to cut costs.. lol

Ended up with this:

I remember calling my wife at work and saying, "I have some good news, and some bad news..." she was, "okay, what is the bad news?"

"The bad news is.. the stove just will not fit in the kitchen..."

"oh ... darn... what is the good news?"

"I blew the back wall out 5 feet now the stove fits..."

lol!

Then we added the garage, that was not standard in this plan: (upstairs did not change)

Now we are adding to that, with the deck, etc...

Let's see if it will let me upload a few more pics..

Upstairs shower

Upstairs vanity... sorta dull room, getting to painting later..

Kid's / guest bathroom: (the new tile row.. heh)

The hallway:)

And:

• bpath
    7 years ago

Much better layout, those angled steps and goofy bumpouts and, oh, that kitchen! were driving me crazy. And I love the transom. I must say, I wasn't enamored of the MBR hall straight down from the front door, but the transom really makes up for it!

User thanked bpath
  • suzanne_sl
    7 years ago

What's the white basin at the end of the island? How many people live in this house? That's a lot of pies, which led to the question about how many people were going to eat them.

This reminds me of the kitchen on the TV show Grimm, although yours in much bigger. It's the green. I like it. :-)

User thanked suzanne_sl
  • caligirl5
    7 years ago

Beautiful--I love the green! And I'm hungry now...

User thanked caligirl5
  • Karenseb
    7 years ago

What a long journey, but it looks like it was well worth it. Love your kitchen with the painted cabinets. Congratulations !

User thanked Karenseb
  • Patti
    7 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! With the mention of gumbo and boudin, I have to ask, are you in south Louisiana?

User thanked Patti
  • silken1
    7 years ago

Your kitchen and house are beautiful. Love the green kitchen.

User thanked silken1
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

I have a serious case of appliance envy.

User thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • malabacat
    7 years ago

Congratulations! Your kitchen, puppy, outside pics, bed frame and all the rest-love it all!

User thanked malabacat
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Bpathome - I was not liking the hallway to the MBR either, still don't. I can be laying in bed and see a person looking in the front door windows, but I am working on an idea of faux stained glass film on there. Just need the right one. Either that, or I will flat out replace it with stained glass to obfuscate it a little. The transoms are for another idea.

Originally, we wanted an old 100+ yr old house we could remodel. We had to have the main 3 bedrooms downstairs, wife is an amputee, so getting up and down the stairs all the time would have been a bit much. We also needed a big kitchen AND one with a view. I am a huge fan of a window over the sink setup.

We found one house we liked, but it was in an also old old neighborhood in a small town and we could not afford the upgrade costs without a neighborhood of comps to support it.

So, we looked through hundreds of floor plans, trying to keep the costs down, and always went back to this.To give it a more "aged" feel, we added the holes for transom windows over each door. We could not fit one over the front door though. Then, each kiddo and the wife will pick their own design and add a stained glass design above each room.

@suzanne_sl - lol! I was like, "white basin?" Those are stools the wife got from her mom. We already got rid of them. The kids like to turn on them and they like to tip over too easy so after one child went down with one, we got rid of them. We are on the lookout for comfortable replacements atm.. heh

@pattiesue78 - heh, no, but my mom and step-dad live in Eunice, LA... so.. may as well be from there :P We are just outside Austin, TX in Cedar Creek. When I go to visit my mom, she always has a pot of gumbo waiting for me. I like to cook large quantities and then freeze them so I can have some anytime I like. Here is another one of me boiling the eggs for it:

Also.. a picture of me making pies BEFORE I got the house done: (lol)

I love to cook. Anyone for homemade biscuits, beans, cornbread?

I have a theory.. if you are gonna bake.. BAKE.. heh.. well.. if you are gonna COOK.. then COOK.. heh.

I rarely redesign the wheel.. I just make it roll smoother. When it comes to pies, I like Knorr's apple pie filling, I just make it less bland by adding to it. The problem is, it takes more than 1 can to make a good pie, but not 2 cans... so I make 2 pies with three cans.. heh

And, I tend to take orders every now and then. Not really "orders" but I remember when someone likes something and I add to my already baking plans and surprise them, until it becomes an expected thing... then I take a break for a while.

One lady would plan her Thanksgiving dinner around me supplying the pies :P

The green paint. Well, we originally had Alder wood with English or Chestnut stain or something like that. It was really funny, Houzz folks made us step back and ask, "if we were living here for 20 years, what would we do?" and we went, "okay... let's do THAT!". Cost us a little.. heh.. but, we ended up finding this paint color on houzz post. We loved it. I emailed the guy on the picture and he replied. He said people had asked him for the color for like 10 years and he had never really supplied it but something about my email made him reply. He sent me the only sample he had of the custom color and we matched it.

The cabinet guy got it a little wrong and the color looked more blue than green, but he kept trying to fix it till he got it right.

We love it too, thank you very much:)

Wait till you see the deck going on the back outside the kitchen in the next few months. We miss the door being off the back, but it would have cost us a LOT of counter space:(

R

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ooops.. forgot to add, this is the next phase..

The deck will be stripped cedar posts holding up a roof.

And a barn and fence: (barn = mancave.. lol) (the driveway is not as pictured :P )

• Wendy
    7 years ago

Beautiful home. Love the green.

User thanked Wendy
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

The kitchen (and the whole house) turned out great! I can tell that you and the family are enjoying it. Thank you for the reveal and the KAW photos.

User thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

For the past two weeks I have been checking in and looking for you and your finished kitchen/house and was finally rewarded.

Everything is beautiful. Congratulations. I love to see a pretty kitchen working as it was intended and you've done a great job. The fork and spoon on either side of the window tells a great story and it was nice to include them.

The cabinet colour turned out nicely and enlarging the windows was a good idea.

Your dog is so cute.

User thanked blfenton
  • PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

Beautiful home & very cute doggie.

Please consider moving your oven mitts away from the stove flame; my pets did not survive my house fire that started in the kitchen.

User thanked MDLN
  • mgmum
    7 years ago

It looks fantastic! You must be loving it. All the hard work paid off.

User thanked mgmum
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, those mits got moved. I did not notice they were still there in the picture. My wife got on one of those ...whatever those hanging thigs are, kicks.

I moved the coffee maker and cups and all the "tea/coffee/hot chocolate stuff like 3 or 4 times before I found the right spot for it. You would be amazed how something as stupid as looking "around" a cabinet door to grab a cup etc would become a pain. Finally ended up with it to the left of the sink. The only thing I have to go grab is the creamer.. heh.

@blfenton - thanks:) It is always work in progress. We still have not made headway on the upper-upper cabinets (as I like to call them.. lol). We went to.. hrm, what is that site.. piercedtin.com and got some patterns, then we went all over google and started finding pictures of what we liked and did not like. We have 6 or 7 of the tin designs made to fill those in, but we have been so busy on the "other stuff" that we have not gotten to that yet.

I am making a trip to Lowes today to grab a few things. I spent 2 hours there yesterday and could not quite bring myself to pull the trigger on a new grill... lol.. I am waiting for the right sale. I have been without a grill since we sold the last house.. August 2015!

The cream cheese is thawing right now. I have been doing test runs on NY style cheesecake. I'll start a new KAW thread on that later today or tomorrow, depending on when I get it in the oven. I'll take pictures in case anyone has not seen or wondered how to make one. There are a couple tricks to it.

Today I am working on figuring where I want my weathervane...and replacing one of the vents. This vent blows on my stove and messed up a nice hollandaise sauce.. lol (or however it is spelled.. heh)

Can anyone name where they have seen this weathervane from?;)

Mo latah! ;)

R

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

I love seeing a kitchen at WORK. Beautiful home. Beautiful family. Well done!

User thanked sheloveslayouts
  • cawaps
    7 years ago

Wow, Russ, you must be thrilled! The kitchen is gorgeous. The food...well that has me plotting a way to wrangle an invitation for dinner the next time in the Austin area. Looks delicious.

User thanked cawaps
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Always welcome to join, not sure I will always be cooking fancy stuff.. lol

• CLC
    7 years ago

Beautiful home! I love your kitchen. And your English Setter pup. :-)

User thanked CLC
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

AAaahhh.. CLC.. you just earned a virtual "bow".. ;)

Not many can pick the name right, especially a true Belton. This is a King Llewellin, a true King from Drenda herself. If you know Setters, you may well know her husband, Alfred King who helped bring and sustain the Llewellin Setters in the United States the past 40 years, albeit he passed away in 2013.

This dog is named Barnard's Tribute... aka Tribby. I waited a LOT of years and was finally in a place where I could get one of the dogs my father used to raise and train from the people he got them from.

Tribby is named in Tribute to the two of them. In fact, it is probably from one of the last litters the Kings will be personally raising, so it meant a lot to me. In the process, I have met a lot of the newer breeders and they really are bringing this breed into the limelight it deserves.

Anyway, not kitchen talk, but thank you for noticing all of it, and her ;)

Russ

• gthigpen
    7 years ago

Beautiful house and kitchen! Who was your cabinet maker? They are very pretty!

User thanked gthigpen
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you very much:) The guy's name is Vince and he is a small cabinet maker outside of Smithville, TX. The poor guy really had a hard time matching the color. He had to come out numerous times to fix some repairs and get the color right, but we are very happy with them.

The handles/pulls were me. We got them from Pullsdirect online at a great price and I installed them myself. I made this sorta "pattern" and used it on all of them. Thank goodness for youtube and google! lol

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh wow.. I just noticed I do not have good pictures of the cabinets after we added the pulls.. lol. I'll get those tonight :P

• gthigpen
    7 years ago

Russ Barnard - I wish he were closer to Dallas! I'd give him a call. They look great.

User thanked gthigpen
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks.. heh.. yea, the problem with real custom homes.. custom everything.. we ran into "we do not do this this or that".. so we were kinda at the mercy of things like pulls and driveways etc... but, it all turned out really nice and we had fun putting them in ourselves.

If it were not for me being unable to walk at the time, it would have been a lot more fun.. heh

Just glad I can walk now.

R

• Cheryl Hewitt
    7 years ago

Russ,

I love your reveal. It's fun hearing about the process and seeing all the other details that have gone into this build.

The kitchen is fantastic. I'm envious of your paper towel drawer. I had wanted one, but it was too expensive with our cabinet maker, so it got chopped. I love your big island and that range, wow! Lots of eye candy there.

Thanks for sharing! It's beautiful!

User thanked Cheryl Hewitt
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cheryl, we almost dropped that drawer too. The Kitchenaide mixer has it's own cabinet with this stand that pops out. We kept looking at things we could drop to save money, like I said... not wealthy at all.. lol.. but it would not have affected anything so we threw it back in.

I tell ya what though, you can still have some pretty darn cool drawers and cabinets and such out there aftermarket. Don't give up on your paper towels! ;)

Like I tell my wife (AFTER I got the kitchen.. lol).... I can cook on a $200 stove, but this gives me more fun when I want it....but a lot of times, it is the same old thing as you guys. The problem I run into is it is sooooo easy to remember you are on a budget and go "I can cook this and this and.." yea.. vicious :P

BUT.. next week, I am doing Scalopini de pollo, or however it is spelled ;)

R

• powermuffin
    7 years ago

I am so lusting after that range...

User thanked powermuffin
  • Julia_WI Zone 5b
    7 years ago

Besides you have such a beautiful kitchen I admire, I also find it is quite interesting that you know how to cook Chinese food. I saw you using Asian Woks and soy sauce which I use everyday! :)

User thanked Julia_WI Zone 5b
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

lol @Julia_WI Zone 5b - I am not sure I "know"... so much as I "try".. heh. I have the normal stuff, oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, stir fry oil, seasame seed oil, etc.. and I do all the cuts, get all the stuff, but I just sorta throw it all together and see what it comes out to.

When we ordered the stove, I made sure to get TWO wok grates because I cannot help myself.. I add way too much.

It starts with fresh bean sprouts, then gotta have Bok Choy, then water chestnuts..

Vicious cycle ;)

I say we get all of us together for a dinner / cooking party my place! lol

R

• Julia_WI Zone 5b
    7 years ago

Well, even you said you are trying, I'm pretty sure you can do very well in cooking Chinese food. You have a very professional stove that give you the BTU power to cook many dishes as good as you can find in Chinese restaurants (even more healthier), especially for stir fry vegetables.

The carbon steel Wok is a bit different in use and care, you know how to deal with them, that's the first step to success!

Just check the Youtube, you can find many easy recipes to follow. You are well-equipped with your set up. :D

User thanked Julia_WI Zone 5b
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You cook a lot with woks? I recently was told the secret to a good sweet and sour sauce, but have not tried it. Plum sauce and tomato sauce with sugar. That is my next attempt. I also want to work on a very light gold batter chicken. I get those down and I am snug as a bug in a rug.. oh.. wait.. I love cashew chicken.. lol.. oh, and the Boudin egg rolls are to die for.. heh

• Mrs. Mayo
    2 years ago

Love love love everything about this post!!! Everything is gorgeous!! I would love a bowl of gumbo and fried boudin 🤩🤩!! Looks delicious!!