SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carlbsmith

Hardwood flooring project - Particle board subfloor

carlbsmith
14 years ago

I am going to be installing 3/4 inch solid prefinished hardwood floors. I will be nailing the hardwoods down. I pulled up the carpet and saw that my subflooring is made up of particle board. It looks like about 3/4 inch particle board. And underneath the particle board is probably another 1/2 of plywood. I have talked to many different people and heard many different methods on what I should do. I know that I shouldn't install the hardwoods directly on the particle board, everyone agrees that is a bad idea. I am trying to determine if I should pull up the particle board and put something in it's place, or if I would be ok to run something on top of the particle board. I would prefer to run something over the particle board, because it will be much less work, but I want to do it right. Is it worth the extra effort to pull the particle board up? Next question, what should I put down? Plywood? OSB? I have heard different things here to. If I pull up the particle board, I was thinking of putting down 3/4 inch ply. If I left the particle board in place, I might just use 1/2 inch ply. This is a multi level house and underneath this flooring is another living space, do I need to put any type of moisture barrier, etc.? Would glue down be an option? Or do I need to nail? I know this is a lot of questions, I have never done hardwoods and want to make sure I do it right. Thanks! Carl

Comment (1)