SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_2008

Wood floor, Step Down to LR- Avoiding falls?

Laurie
15 years ago

We are considering installing (DIY) Lauzon's red oak natural wood on the entire first level of our home. Even though you will see entry way tile in the pictures, we have since torn those out so wood will be installed there, as well. Our home is built on an all concrete subfloor. There is a 6" step down from the entry to the living room. As you walk in, the living room is to your left & dining room is to your right. The step down is only on your left as you step into the living room.

My question is : Will this step be a hazard to people visiting our home who may not see it and end up falling off the edge?

Some possibilities I have thought of are:

A darker stained bull nose edge finishing strip if wood on the edge where the step down begins.

Running the wood planks in the living room perpendicular to the entry wood.

Leaving the living room carpeted.

I want to avoid putting up any sort of railing structure. In other words, when you walk into the front door, I don't want a rail or gate or a solid structure separating the living room from the entry way.

Any ideas and/or pictures you can share?

Thanks! (I will also post in the decorating forum)

Laurie

P.S. I resized the pics to reduce them(photobucket),but it still posts in the larger size..not sure why.

Top view of entry (tile is no longer there).

View from Living Room

View of Living Room

Comments (4)