SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Open floor plan; can LR built-in doors be same style as kitchen?

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

Our kitchen is open via window-height openings and a large doorway to our small LR/DR area, which is 2 steps down.

View from kitchen area into LR/DR:

We're getting ready to start buying materials for the living room bookshelves (finally!) and I am working on the final design. We originally planned on open bookshelves on the long wall and flanking the woodstove area. I'm feeling now like that is going to be too much visual clutter. And we have a lot of stuff I don't really want to see out on shelves (paperbacks, DVDs, extra vases, etc.) So I'm now leaning towards putting doors on the woodstove wall and in the very corner. We will hopefully one day have a nice chair + ottoman in that corner next to the woodstove, and I think I would rather see painted wood behind it than open cluttered shelves.

So, question #1 is: am I on the right track here?

Question #2 is: what door style? We like simple plain shaker style the best... however that's what we have in the pantry (which will also be painted white) and in cherry in the kitchen, which of course is visible from the LR space. Is that OK? Too similar? Too kitchen-y?? (We considered plain slab doors as well but I'm thinking that may be too modern for resale. We should probably try to keep the cottage-y vibe...)

Furniture placement to take into consideration: couch will remain where it is, with an armchair perpendicular to it on the dining-room end (where the AX chair is now.). There will be an end table and lamp (probably the marble Florence Knoll table that's used as a coffee table in the pic) between them against the windows (where Aalto stool is now). On the other side of the couch, the bookcase thing will have a firewood bin on the lower part, as shown, so there will just be an end table there. On the other side of the woodstove, a comfy chair and ottoman (we have an old Poang there now, something better later.) And then, in front of the bookshelves, a low, small bench or ottoman that is low-visual-impact but can be extra seating for larger gatherings.

Also re door style: the interior doors throughout the house are all 5-panel square sticking flat panel shaker style doors now....

Forgive the lousy mockups and sketches... but hopefully it gives you an idea what I mean. The chair+ottoman and bench aren't shown in this pic. Try to imagine it with the furniture placement described above :)

In the last pic you can see that the doors-to-open-shelving transition is directly under the opening above. I am hoping that makes the whole thing feel more planned and normal. And lets the long view down the end of the room be less busy; the bookshelves being visible only once you're "in" the room, really....

Thank you for your thoughts!!!!!!!

Rough mock-up of bookshelves, with view of kitchen cabinets peeking through the space top left:

Sketches:

Comments (7)