SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohmmm_gw

Reshingling Your Roof? - Warning

ohmmm_gw
9 years ago

This was decade or more in the past. What to watch out for.

Home was a split level with attached garage. Built in 1964.

Local contractors.

I think this was the third roof job since the house was built. One owner house.

Job quote was around $8,000 for complete tear off of the two prior layers.

First problem, only ONE guy on the crew spoke English well enough to get the point across. They were all Russian I believe.

Second problem, during tear off, debris was everywhere all around the house. They used sheets of plywood up against the house to protect things and some tarps. But the place looked like a freaking tornado hit it.

Third and costly problem. The original plywood sheathing in many spots had dry rotted to the point where it would just disintegrate when stepped on. I went up on the roof and looked for myself. Yea, big problem. Job was re quoted and skid load of plywood delivered. Added $4,000 to the bill. Now at $12,000.

Fourth problem. They tore off the crappy plywood. And before they had all the new plywood down, save for the ridge areas, they started hauling up the shingle bundles. Now I know those bundles are freaking heavy. And they were dropping the suckers on the ridge area. The entire house was shaking every time a bundle dropped. I was home at the time.

Fifth problem. All seemed well after job was done until a few weeks later when it was windy and I heard flapping when I was upstairs. Hmmm...what is that. I go out in the back yard and am looking and...viola...the aluminum soffit on the upstairs had pulled away from the channel on the house and was flapping in the wind. This soffit never had any issues previously.

I assume this was caused by the combination of them dropping the bundles on a roof that was not fully decked. Thus causing too much outward force on the roof framing, which in turned forced the fascia board outward with each bundle drop.

I managed to cobble together a repair. But it was clear the fascia boards in that area were no longer in their original location and were further outward...permanently.

And later when needing to go into the attic to do something, noticed full length sheets of decking that when they used their air nailers, they completely missed hitting the roof framing in long sections.

Holy cow. What a nightmare of a roofing job.

My advice:

A. Make sure the entire crew speaks English.

B. If major amount of decking needs to be replaced, no shingles brought up until after all the decking is properly down.

C. Don't drop the bundles on the roof!

D. Forget shingles, just get a metal roof.

E. Don't buy a house. Just live in your car.

Comments (7)