SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samohtep

Contemplating New Construction - Advice/Warnings?

samohtep
7 years ago

After I expressed a desire to get out of our current home in a few years, my wife and I have had some minor discussion about what we'd be looking to do next. Nothing too detailed yet, just a rough idea that in 5-7 years, it might be nice to build a new house to suit our tastes.

Based on some serious budgeting, planning, and saving that we've begun this year, we'll be debt free and turning more of our income toward retirement savings in 3-5 years. Another consideration, if we have a second child in the next couple years, we'll be running out of space in our current home and will be needing more space. If we're going to go with new construction, I would like to research, plan and save for quite a while, so we know reality vs expectations.

The "blue-sky" vision of our home at this point:

2000-2300 sqft on a partially wooded hilly lot, 1-2 acres of land
4 bdrm, 2.5 bath "Ranch"(long and low) with 2nd story "master suite", walkout basement, elevated deck off of the back of main floor. Possibly an in-ground pool outside walkout basement
Craftsman/Prairie influence (but roof lines accounting for our snowloads...)
Thinking about the Boston-Colden area of Western New York

I would like to keep the house and construction as green and efficient as possible. Possibly use geothermal for heating/cooling and offset electric with solar? I know those are just sort of buzzwords right now, but you get what I'm going for.

We both like the look of older style homes, craftsman bungalows, foursquares, and some forms of farmhouses. There are several Sears Kit home looking houses in the area that I really like, so one question is, is it impractical for a designer/architect to use an existing floorplan as a jumping off point?

So where should we begin with our planning? What pitfalls do we need to avoid?

Comments (28)