SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimster_gw

Favorite Pizza Toppings?

jimster
13 years ago

Wendy's bread thread got me thinking about pizza. What are your favorite toppings? Anyone for double anchovies? :-)

Jim

Comments (39)

• katefisher
    13 years ago

Myself I'm not that keen on fish. I like canned tuna. I'm afraid my palate tends to be pretty down-home that way. Preferred toppings have to be mushrooms, fresh mozzarella, spinach and pineapple. Yum. Oh great now I'll be thinking about pizza the rest of the day:)

Kate

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Double cheese, double mushrooms, Italian sausage, ground beef, black olives, bacon, but no anchovies and no low cal.
    If your gonna have a cookie, have a cookie.

I am new on cooking and a regular on home decorating.

....Jane

• Related Discussions

Recipe: Pizzaghetti

Q

Comments (3)
    I hope you enjoy it. You might want to do a half recipe. Unless there are big eaters, the full recipe with a lot of toppings will feed 4 twice. Our favs are pepperoni, GP, shrooms, & onions. We just cleaned up the leftovers last night, in fact. ;-) Al
    ...See More

My favorite pizza topping is...

Q

Comments (49)
    If there is plenty of Dr. Pepper, ANYTHING topping on mine. Give it to MIKEY he like it!!!
    ...See More

Pizza Party - Need new peel, recipes

Q

Comments (65)
    It will be interesting to hear your recipe, trailrunner! I just made a small batch (way too small as it turned out), this was enough for two pizzas. Minced garlic from 2 heads, simmered slowly in around 1/4 cup olive oil, for 5 minutes only, being carefully to not let brown. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was almost equal parts garlic and XV olive oil. Then, added a small can of tomato paste, 1/4 cup sugar and a couple Tbsp of water, and 1/4 tsp of oregano and pepper. The crusts do look different but I'm pretty sure they are both the Baguette recipe (which I must attempt this week, having found my pans). The second crust looks more like the Bittman recipe, but that was because it was made in a square pan, more deep dish style. I wasn't thrilled with either crust this time. We had a hockey game in the middle of the day so I made the 4 batches of dough in the morning and let them proof in the fridge, then skipped the second rise for the baguette recipe. Maybe they rose too long? Next time, I'll shoot for around two hours before oven time. Then again, I tend to not eat when I am hosting, so maybe I am imagining the difference. Everyone else loved the pizzas, which is all that counts. Between the two, I like the baguette recipe a little better but DH likes the MB.
    ...See More

What's your favorite frozen pizza?

Q

Comments (18)
    If I want something decent for a frozen pizza I get Freshetta. It's the closest thing to a pizza shop. There's others that are OK in their own way. I actually like Totino's but it's not comparable to a pizza place of course. To me, Digiornio is nothing but a piece of Texas toast with some sauce and toppings, and not a lot of either.
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Asiago cheese, red onions, grape tomatoes and a little cheddar is a favorite.

• ann_t
    13 years ago

Jane, welcome to the forum.

I would be happy to eat one of your pizzas.

I prefer the more traditional style toppings. Like Jane, I want, mushrooms, olives, Italian sausage or pepperoni. I can take or leave anchovies.

Ann

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Thank you Ann!

• lindac
    13 years ago

I don't like "weird stuff" on my pizza...like pineapple, tuna and Canadian bacon...
    I want pepperoni, and onions, skinny slices or green pepper,sliced garden tomatoes, patted dry or roasted....and lots of real mozzerella or scamorza....topped with curls of parm reg...Oh yeah....while we are January dreaming....some fresh basil....lots of it!!
    Linda c

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I froze some leftover New Years ham for my next pizza... I'll add pineapple, red peppers and mozzerella.

Nancy

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

Very simple toppings.

Home grown heirloom tomatoes, basil from the garden.

Lot's of fresh mozzarella slices (not shredded) just beginning to melt.

And a huge amount of chopped black garlic

dcarch

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

How did I miss you Jane?
    I'm glad you're over here!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    13 years ago

I know a lot of you will go "eeew" but there was a Pancake House in Holland that we used to look forward to going to who made a "Nordsea pannekoken" (in reality, a large crepe) that we could actually look forward to eating. Not unlike a pizza - very thin crust. As I recall it had anchovies, oil packed tuna, capers, diced red onions and perhaps diced red bell pepper. Of course, cheese. And in the middle was a little container of a tartar sauce-like condiment. Domino's in the town we lived in delivered (lots of American ex-pats with kids there because of the school) and they had a similar pizza on their menu but it wasn't as good. But we'd order it, too. Only game in town...

Another pizza I make a lot is a whole wheat crust with traditional tomato sauce, steamed broccoli, cooked crumbled hot Italian sausage and dollops of ricotta cheese along with the traditional mozzarella.

I only mention these 2 because they're not typical to find when we order pizza where we live. In reality, I like just about anything on pizza but don't load it up with jalepenos lol.

seagrass

• lakemayor
    13 years ago

Hi Jim and welcome Jane! I absolutely love chicken, bacon ranch pizza with smoked mozzarella and a lot of basil on top. For my more traditional version, I want mozzarella, mushrooms, sausage and onions.

Love pizza!!!!

Karen

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Welcome Jane - glad you joined us.

My fav has to be Italian sausage, onion, black olives and sliced garlic, but I will eat just about any topping and any combination EXCEPT pepperoni or anchovies (and add tuna which I have never heard of on a pizza, but the thought of it makes me shudder).

I also really enjoy thinly sliced fried eggplant, fresh mozzarella, chunky fresh tomato sauce and fresh basil. I don't see eggplant offered often, and I have no idea why... it is fantastic on pizza!

Alexa

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Hi Jane!

Double anchovies and double pepperoni. I grew up with anchovies on our pizza as well as in our salad. When DD was at home, she wouldn't let her pizza ride in the same delivery car as mine because of the anchovies.

My first pizza in Rome was weird-thinly sliced potatoes.

• ann_t
    13 years ago

OOOH I forgot potatoes. I love my version of a Greek Pizza.

Ann

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

Pepperoni would be my all time fave. I like to add some onions, green peppers, and green olives to mine. A place up at the lake had a taco pizza that was great after a day on the lake. BBQ chicken/beef, shrimp scampi, and many other combinations over the years but pepperoni is the best/original pizza for this guy. California Pizza Kithchens had some great combos on their menu.

Oh, and dipping it in creamy italian dressing is wonderful. Never heard of that until a long time friend turned me onto it years ago. YUM! Great munchie food for sure....back in our wild days.... LOL!

David

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Jim:
    Remember the Calzonepizza ?
    Not much Topping but a lot of bottoming.

Lou?s Calzopizza - Tutorial

For this Pizza I used a lightly oiled , 11x16 Cookie Tin

Rolled the dough out to about 3/16 inch thickness and 3 inches larger than
    the Tin , all around.
    Then laid it over the Tin.

Next I laid all the goodies around the inside perimeter of the Tin.
    On the far side is simmered Broccoli Stir Fries w Shrimp on top.
    In Forefront is cut Cooked Salami and Pepperoni w pieces of Cheese on top.
    Left side is Cooked Sausage. Right side is cut up Meatballs.
    I dribbled some Spaghetti Sauce all around.

Then I folded the dough that was on the outside of the Tin,
    over all the goodies and into the center of the pizza, and
    pressed the edges down to seal it.

Next I spooned the Sauce over the Dough ( I used my Spaghetti Sauce ) and
    sprinkled on the shredded Provolone and Cheddar cheese mixture,
    all ready for the oven.

Baked it at 400 Degrees for about 30 minutes. Took it out of the Pan and onto the Pizza Stone, for the last 15 minutes.

LOU

• User
    13 years ago

Oh, I like a bit of anchovy, but no one else does, so I never get any. I also like a little more tomato sauce than usual, but I'm happy with fresh tomatoes and lots of cheese and a thick crust. No pepperoni, no chicken or other meats or weird veggies, and no fruit.

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

Anchovies on mine will get it thrown in the trash. I want lots of meat, such as Italian sausage, regular sausage and pepperoni, ground sirloin will be fine too, lots of cheese, tomato sauce with fennel in it. A thin crust and only put onions and green pepper on mine if it was precooked prior to going into the oven.

• Lars
    13 years ago

I still have lots of fresh basil in my herb garden, and so I use that. I also like sauteed mushrooms, Italian salami, jalapenos, Provolone (and Asiago), black olives, and buffalo mozzarella. I don't add all of these at once, but various combinations of them. Anchovies are okay, but I generally do not add them when I make pizza myself.

I'm okay with Canadian bacon, but I will not touch pizza that has pineapple on it - or anything sweet for that matter. When I was a child (and teenager), I would order pizza without cheese because I avoided dairy products at that time - I think they upset my stomach, and still do at times. I still like pizza without cheese, and the first pizza I had was in Louisiana and had shrimp on it - and no cheese. I guess that's why I'm okay with the anchovies, although I like shrimp better.

Lars

• jojoco
    13 years ago

I made pizza last night. I brushed the unbaked dough with good olive oil, spread black olive paste that I bought at a greek deli thinly over it and topped with mozzarella and jarred red pepper. It was unusual, but good.

• riverrat1
    13 years ago

Hi Jane!

I do like a more traditional pizza with mushrooms, tomatoes, double fresh mozzarella, onions, double anchovies, and olives (any kind). I've never had a pizza with tuna on it...so it's hard for me to imagine it being a must have on my pizza. I'll have to try that one day!
    David, I'll have to try that dipping thing in creamy italian dressing!

• ci_lantro
    13 years ago

I always make a rather simple pizza. My favorite top two combos:

Italian sausage, red bell peppers, ricotta dollops, freshly grated Romano, mozzarella, red pepper flakes.

Ham (or Canadian bacon), pineapple, bell peppers, ricotta dollops, freshly grated Romano, mozzarella, red pepper flakes.

Another style that we make, a regional favorite, is something called 'cheese fries'. Consists of pizza crust topped w/ just cheese, lots of cheese. Marinara dipping sauce is served on the side. I coat the crust w/ olive oil and lots of freshly crushed garlic, then cheese, using a combo of whatever cheeses that I have on hand--mostly mozzarella plus provolone, jack, Romano...a little basil & red pepper flakes.

Have discovered that a few small crumbles of Gorgonzola (Be Careful!!) can really amp up anything 'cheesey'.

• jimster
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was kidding, sort of, about double anchovies, knowing how repulsive they are to many people. I do like anchovies though, and have them sometimes. Double anchovies with chopped onion is a good combination.

I have had potato pizza a few times. It was a white pizza made with oil, garlic, cheese and thinly sliced potatoes. Pretty good but not as exciting as some.

Lou, that is one DELUXE pizza creation. It has both toppings and fillings (or "bottomings" as you call them). You've got me thinking outside the pizza box with that one. Lots of possibilities.

As I said elsewhere, olives and artichokes are my favorite combination. Canned ripe olives are OK but calamatas are better. On a white pizza with some strips of roasted red pepper it is tasty and very colorful.

Italian sausage is my favorite meat topping although I would never turn up my nose at pepperoni or linguica. I like to chop the meat. It's hard to get a bite of sliced pepperoni without pulling the whole thing apart, especially if stringy cheese is involved.

Oh, my. I'm starting to salivate.

Jim

• Rusty
    13 years ago

Let's see. . . .
    The 'perfect' Pizza. .. .

A very thin, light spread of any really good spaghetti sauce.
    With some added fennel seed.
    On a crust that will be thick and chewy.
    Lots of pepperoni, cooked Italian sausage, and shrimp.
    Yes, lots of anchovies, too.
    Bell peppers, red, green, yellow, doesn't matter.
    But they must be sauteed a bit first.
    Mushrooms, black olives, NO onions.
    Lots of cheese, Mozzerella, Provolone, etc.
    And a generous helping of parmesan on top.
    AFTER it is baked.

Maybe I am a traditionalist,
    but things like pineapple,
    Taco seasonings,
    white sauces, etc,
    Just aren't real "pizza".
    They might be very good,
    But they should have another name,
    All their own.

My first reaction to potatoes on pizza
    Was "Ew-w-w-w--w-w--www! ! ! !
    But it might be good in the right combination.

Lou, your Calzonepizza looks like something my bunch would really like.
    I may be forced to try it next time everyone is here. ..

Rusty

• ann_t
    13 years ago

Jim, my Greek style pizza isn't a white pizza. It has tomato sauce as well as cheese. The potatoes are little cubes of roasted potatoes seasoned with garlic and oregano and lemon.

This is still the pizza that Matt and his friends request most often. Thankfully Matthew now makes his own Greek Potato Pizza for his friends.

• jimster
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm wondering. Are there two types of white pizza being discussed here. The kind familiar to me has only olive oil and garlic in place of the red sauce. Is there a white pizza made with a sauce or dressing?

My name for Lou's concoction: Supercalazonafragelistapizza.

BTW, hold the pineapple!

Jim

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Jim:
    When I lived in West Philly , there was a neighborhood grocery store and rumor scuttelbutt outlet,

where you could get a 7 inch Pizza, delivered from a local Italian Bread bakery,.

They had a thick crust and came 2 ways.
    With Tomato Sauce or Oil and Garlic, for 35 cents.
    You had to get there soon or they were History.

I have to go back and talk to my friend, the Bread Baker,
    To find out how he gets a Thick Crust,
    That is Crispy, tender and tasty.

When I was a young teenager my GM would send me to buy bread.
    It was a half loaf by the time I got back. She would hit me with it. Now I had to go back to the Bakery.

Just one of my many Folk Tales.
    LOU

• sage721
    13 years ago

Bacon and onions.... hands down... there's just something about the smoked bacon and the sweetness of the onions that I just love.

Caliloo: Cheers to the eggplant topping! The best pizza I ever had (in America) was eggplant/fresh mozz, cooked in a wood fired oven in little italy, philly.... couldn't remember the name of the place for all the pizza in the world.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

I like 'em all........except pineapple. I'll eat it, but wouldn't put it on there myself.

Not many pizzas I won't eat! Including anchovies!!

Deanna

• angelaid
    13 years ago

Pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives. Anchovies and fresh tomato slices added when I plate it.

• jimster
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Latest version of my name for Lou'a inside-outside pizza:

Supercalazonalisticextraluciouspizza.

It would be good with a side of chimchimcharee for dipping.

Jim

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

Posted by jimster "Latest version of my name for Lou'a inside-outside pizza:
    Supercalazonalisticextraluciouspizza.
    It would be good with a side of chimchimcharee for dipping. "

I agree. It's like The Sound Of Music to the palate.

dcarch

• hawk307
    13 years ago

And I thought I was crazy ?????
    LOU

PS:
    That was my handle, a while back, Crazy lou !!!

• nancyofnc
    13 years ago

My DH will only eat pepperoni and mushroom pizza, with garlic, onions, and tons of parm. Eating out I choose ham and pineapple, or white pizza, from the store I pick the thin crust California Kitchen BBQ chicken.

I bought a thrift-store book that has 50 different toppings and 30 crust recipes, but OOP now. About a third are hot Tex-Mex so I've not made them (hot pepper wimp) but the others I've tried at least once, even the salad pizzas and the dessert pizzas! I've found that just about anything baked on a crust is great, especially cold the next day for breakfast. YUM!

I've been trying to find a gluten-free pizza crust recipe that tastes good, but have had no luck so far. Do any of you have one?

Nancy

• User
    13 years ago

Welcome Jane!

I have three versions I like but I don't want any of the toppings of one added to the toppings of another...no mix and match! LOL

green peppers, mushrooms, pepperoni, double cheese
    black olives, anchovies, red onion, feta and moz
    fresh tomatoes sliced thin, fresh moz, ground pepper and fresh basil.

Think pizza is on the menu tonight! Now which one!?!

• dedtired
    13 years ago

I really don't like anchovies. I like veggie (but I pick off the olives), mushroom, hamburger and sausage.

Once I had what was called a "Hula Pizza" with ham and pineapple. Never again.

I also prefer thin crust to thick.

Lou, where in West Philly did you live? I lived at 48th and Baltimore in the late '60's.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

I like italian sausage and mushrooms. Or add red onions to it. Or basil, tomatoes, and mozzerella (Margharita). Or just green peppers and sausage. But never any other "meat" (protein?). I don't like hamburger(?!), ham, bacon, pepperoni, tuna, chicken, or anchovies. Nor any kind of olive, broccoli, etc. Guess I'm pretty limited on what I'll eat, but then, I only have pizza once every couple of months, so it's not like I'd be repeating myself even if I have the same exact order every time.

So how often do y'all eat pizza?

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Detired:
    I was born in West Philly ( Overbrook ).
    I was very young when I was born, so I don't remember too much, at that time.

I lived there until iI went into the Army in 1953.
    A short time after being discharged, I was married and lived in SW Philly for 9 years ( 52nd and Greenway )
    Moved to the Pocono's in 1992.
    Then moved to Glenolden ,Pa.

Now that you have all this info, do you still love me ???
    LOU

• cynic
    13 years ago

Meat and cheese. And lots of both. Proper amount of tasty pizza sauce. Spaghetti sauce is NOT pizza sauce, but will work in an emergency. Salad goes on the side, not on a pizza so keep the veggies off it. Meat, cheese, sauce, crust and the crust needs flavor too. Cooked properly. I like different styles anywhere from a crispy cracker type crust to a deep dish pizza, but I don't want "deep dish" to mean a loaf of bread with sauce on it.