SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theroselvr

7 yr old Kate- brain cancer- mom asking for prayers

theroselvr
13 years ago

I follow the blog of 7 year old Kate Mcrae. Kate is 7 years old & has been battling brain cancer (aggressive brain tumor called a supratentorial primitive neuroectodermal tumor or sPNET.) since June 2009. She had an MRI a few weeks ago; there was something on it. She's having a pet scan today; her parents are asking for everyone to pray for their little girl.

A few blog updates-

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:49 AM, MST

Kate has her PET scan today. She will be put under general anesthesia at 1:30 MST. The test is slated to last 2 hours, and then she will need time to recover from the anesthesia. All of this to say, it is unlikely we will hear the results today. And yet, it is possible. We are scheduled to sit down with Kate's neuro-oncologist tomorrow at 10 am to discuss results and potential options at this point, if we do not hear anything today. Again, they are hoping for great news, but pretty confident Kate will be needing treatment

We deal with the conversations of cancer as they come up, trying not to make it the only thing we talk about with the kids. Again, we were talking and I tearfully told Kate if there were anyway I could fight this for her, take this on myself, bear her pain myself, I would. I would readily take cancer over seeing her have to battle it. In her deep desire and ability to love, she softly said, "oh no mom. I would never want you to have to fight this. I would much rather fight it myself than watch you." I am astounded at her maturity, and her deep love and compassion for others. It makes me unbelievably proud, and it hurts so unbelievably bad.

Please be praying for the following....

1. That miraculously the PET scan would show no activity for cancer

2. That God would give divine wisdom to our doctors and to Aaron and myself as we interpret news.

3. That God would intervene and heal Kate's body completely from cancer.

thank you... we will update later today.

---------------------------------------------------------

February 1- Never have words been more difficult to pen. Never have our hearts felt the angst of pain quite like today. I hoped to never write these words. I prayed that our hearts would never feel this torment. However, today, we received devastating news. There are new spots on the MRI, at least one on the other side of our daughter's brain...

...Tomorrow the tumor board will discuss her scan and the best way to determine wether or not it is definitely cancer. Most likely Kate will be undergoing a PET scan as soon as possible. They will also be discussing the best possible route for us to take if it is tumor. They will be contacting institutions around the country for open studies, and anything that could possibly hold some hope for treating a recurrence.

February 2- It looks like we will have no real news for a few days. Her PET scan is not scheduled until Tuesday of next week....

..I did hear from Dr Etzl today. Tumor board met, and the obvious thought is that it is cancer. As of now, they don't believe surgery to be a great option, and radiation does not seem to be an option either. Which leaves us thinking if it does prove to be cancer, it will most likely be something very experimental we will have to attempt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kates caringbridge page

Comments (8)