SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gillylily

Looking for some recipes.. Please help me

gillylily
13 years ago

I don't post here often but am a constant lurker..

In keeping with my resolutions (I made them way before NYE), i would like to cook more often.

I love all foods, however, my family is pretty picky about what they will eat. I am looking for yummy recipes for chicken, salmon, shrimp, turkey and steak, pasta, risotto etc. that are fairly simple (medium difficulty I would say) that can also be kid friendly. I have run out of ideas- Just for an ex. my family will eat chix. piccata, marsala , and parm so they are not THAT picky, but just looking for any ideas..

SO PLEASE help me. I used to cook often before kids (as my DH keeps reminding me) and I would like to go back to it. I really do enjoy it!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (11)

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

One recipe that comes to mind (because it is below zero here) is called Spicy Cheeseburger Soup - from Nancy (wizardnm). While I have not made the soup, many forum members with kids rave about it and say it is a family favorite.

If you do a search for it there are several threads that feature it

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

That's a pretty tall order. I think we can probably help better if you narrow down your request and give us a little more to go on. Think about cuts of meat, for example, chuck roast (if that is something your family likes) and we can give you recipes we like for that.
    A general request just makes me feel like I'm shooting in the dark, know what I mean?

As a lurker, have you seen the Cookalong threads? There are many great recipes on those threads and they are all archived in the FAQ...link is up on the opening page header.

Congrats on coming out of lurkdom, it's much more fun to become active and it's always good to see someone have a renewed interest in cooking.

Nancy

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: Looking for: Help Please! Thumb Print Cookie

Q

Comments (1)
    The egg white is to make the nuts stick...dip them in sugar if you want....but they will be fine without... The sugar will stick better with the egg....but some will stick without the egg. Frankly, I wouoldn't dip them in either egg or sugar. Linda C
    ...See More

Please help me understand this recipe

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks for the clarification. I just happen to have lemons and blueberries that need "doing with" so this is my plan for tomorrow morning. It sounds great and if it is half as good as the Banana Bread recipe that Nancy shared it is sure to be a hit. And yes, I have done both floured berries and not floured berries and floured works much better. Thanks again everyone Alexa
    ...See More

Looking for crock pot recipes to help get me through the remodel

Q

Comments (24)
    This may be one to save for when the kitchen is re-assembled but I just had to share it. It's from W-S so they skew it to fit their tools. Feel free to adapt as desired. Cassoulet Ingredients: 4 lb. boneless pork shoulder, cut into 8 pieces and trimmed of excess fat Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste 2 Tbs. canola oil 1 cup panko 4 oz. thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips 4 cups coarsely chopped yellow onions (about 3 medium onions) 2 cups dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc 1/4 cup tomato paste 1 can (35 oz.) peeled Italian plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped 2 cups chicken broth 12 cups cooked Great Northern beans or other small white beans, drained 1 1/2 lb. fresh chorizo sausage, each halved on the bias 1 garlic head, halved crosswise 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish 1 lb. baguette, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing Coarse sea salt, such as sel gris, for garnish Directions: Season the pork generously with kosher salt and pepper; set aside. In the stovetop-safe insert of a slow cooker over medium-high heat, combine the canola oil and panko. Cook, stirring constantly, until the panko is toasted and golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the panko to a baking sheet and season with kosher salt and pepper. Add the bacon to the insert and cook until crisp on both sides, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Reserve the bacon fat in the insert. Add half of the pork to the insert and brown on all sides, 7 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to a platter. Repeat with the remaining pork. Add the onions and 1 tsp. kosher salt to the insert and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and softened, about 7 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, tomatoes and broth. Remove the insert from the heat and add the beans, pork, chorizo and garlic. Place the insert on the slow-cooker base, cover and cook on low until the pork pulls apart easily with a fork, 9 to 10 hours. Skim off the fat, and remove and discard the garlic. Fold in the panko and the 1/4 cup parsley. Adjust the seasonings with kosher salt and pepper. Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat the broiler. Brush the baguette slices with olive oil. Arrange the slices, oiled side up, on top of the cassoulet, overlapping them. Broil until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Let the cassoulet stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving. Sprinkle each serving with the reserved bacon, sea salt and parsley. Serves 8 to 10. Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the recipe
    ...See More

Can you please look at this recipe and tell me ...

Q

Comments (8)
    Here is what I found on the internet: It does fine whether frozen raw or cooked. And the fact that yours has been cut into small chunks is no problem. You can freeze raw butternut squash pieces in the same way you would freeze berries: Place them on a baking sheet, spaced out so they don't touch each other, and freeze until very firm
    ...See More
  • bbstx
    13 years ago

I got this recipe out of the newspaper. It has been my T&T for roast for the last 20 years.

POT ROAST

2 to 3 Tblsp oil
    2 to 3 pound boneless shoulder roast (I use rump roast)
    1 1/2 pounds carrots
    4 pounds of potatoes
    1 can Campbell's French onion soup
    1 can stewed tomatoes (cut into smaller pieces)

Put oil in LARGE dutch oven. Heat until oil begins to thin and spread out. Add roast and brown on each side. Lower heat to medium high. Add soup and tomatoes. Let simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

Peel carrots and potatoes. Cut potatoes in half, if they are very large. Put carrots in first and potatoes on top of roast. Add water if needed so that the liquid is within 1/4 inch of top. Cook for 20 minutes. Check vegetables for doneness. Cook until done.

Remove roast from pan. Let rest about 5 minutes before carving.

For Crockpot: Add everything at once, making sure potatoes are on top. Add very little water - maybe 2 soupcan of water. Cook on low all day.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Someone had posted this on the CF years ago (my file says 2005) but I don;t know who to credit it too. It has helped me out when I needed inspiration that is quick and kid friendly. If the exact recipe isn;t what I want, I can always tweak it. Good luck and do give us more ideas of what your family enjoys and we can usually offer help from there.

Alexa

NINE 30 MINUTE CHICKEN DINNERS
    Before cooking, pound each cutlet between sheets of waxed paper until l/4-inch thick. Each recipe serves two.

THE TECHNIQUE:
    Dredge one whole chicken breast, skinned, boned, split in half and pounded, in 2 T. flour. * In medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook 1 T. oil and 1 T. butter or margarine until hot and foamy. Add chicken and saute until golden brown on both sides. Add the flavor makers. Cover and simmer until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken to plate and keep warm. Over medium-high heat, boil sauce in skillet rapidly until slightly thickened. Add finishing touches and heat through. Spoon sauce over chicken and add garnishes.

To make Chicken Marsala
    Flavor Makers - 3/4 c. sliced mushrooms, 3/4 c. Marsala wine,
    Finishing Touch - 2 T. chopped parsley
    Garnish - Additional parsley

To make California Chicken
    Flavor Makers - 1 c. sliced mushrooms, 3/4 c. dry white wine
    Finishing Touch - 1/2 avocado, sliced
    Garnish - chopped parsley

To make Chicken Milanese - * Instead of flour, dredge in seasoned breadcrumbs
    Flavor Makers - 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/2 c. chicken broth; 1/4 c. white wine
    Finishing Touch - 2 T. chopped Parsley
    Garnish - additional Parsley

To make Chicken Picatta
    Flavor Makers - 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/2 c. white wine; 2 T. lemon juice
    Finishing Touch - 2 T. chopped Parsley
    Garnish - Lemon slices

To make Yucatan Chicken
    Flavor Makers - 1/2 c. lemon juice; 3 T. raisins; 2 T. canned chopped hot chilies
    Finishing Touch - 1 T. chopped fresh cilantro
    Garnish - toasted pine nuts

To make Sante Fe Chicken
    Flavor Makers - 1/2 c. red wine; 1/4 c. tomato puree; 3/4 tsp. dried oregano; 1/2 tsp. chili powder
    Garnish - Lime wedges and Sour Cream

To make Provencal Chicken
    Flavor Makers - 1/3 c. chopped onion; 1 tsp. Dried basil, 3/4 c. white wine
    Finishing Touch - 1/2 c. chopped, canned tomatoes; 1/4 c. black olives, chopped
    Garnish - Chopped parsley or fresh basil

To make Sesame Chicken - Mix 1 egg with 2 T. milk. After dredging in flour, dip chicken into egg mixture, then coat with 3 T. sesame seeds.
    Flavor Makers - 3/4 c. chicken broth; 1/2 tsp. soy sauce; 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger; 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/4 tsp. sesame oil; 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
    Garnish - Chopped parsley or cilantro

To make Chicken with Peppers
    Flavor Makers - 1/4 c. diced, cooked ham; 1/4 c. chopped onion; 1/2 c. white wine; 1/4 red pepper, cut into slivers; 1/4 green pepper, cut into slivers; 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
    Garnish - Chopped parsley

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

This is good and probably in time for leftover New Year's Day ham.

Cheesy Ham and Macaroni

1 8-oz. package elbow macaroni
    6 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Dash pepper
    2 cups milk
    2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    2 cups fully cooked ham, cubed
    1 4-oz can mushrooms, drained
    1 2-oz jar diced pimientos, drained
    1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 11 crackers)
    Minced fresh parsley, optional

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter and stir into it the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheese and stir until melted; then stir in the ham, mushrooms and pimientos. Drain macaroni; stir into ham mixture. Put mixture into a shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish which has been sprayed with Pam.. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs and dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350� for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.

Yield: 8 servings.

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

sorry to do it this way..but here's a list of recipes I've been working my way through.I have a picky family too.

I have it in a word Doc so when I click on the link I go to the page. No comments after the link..haven't tried it yet.

http://www.natalieskillercuisine.com/2010/05/chicken-fried-steak-with-pan-cream-gravy.html (amazingly good, I put just a squirt of the mustard in because I knew that would be the ingredient they fussed about, they ate it up!)

http://www.cookingwithmykid.com/recipes/bacon-egg-cheese-biscuit-muffins-veggie-option/

http://joelens.blogspot.com/2010/10/pan-frying-101-pan-fried-chicken-gravy.html

http://easyyummyrecipes.com/?p=388 crock pot cheese steaks (not to bad, I usually use deli roast beef for cheesesteaks, this is definitely cheaper!)

http://www.goodlifeeats.com/2010/09/crock-pot-mexican-chicken.html

http://penniesonaplatter.com/2010/09/16/buffalo-chicken-bites/ (huge hit!)

http://dunkincookingthesemi-homemadeway.blogspot.com/2010/09/coney-island-sauce.html (happy guys and it came together quite quickly)

http://appetiteforchina.com/recipes/chinese-mongolian-beef

http://cookincanuck.blogspot.com/2010/08/pork-green-bean-lettuce-wraps-recipe.html (delish...I actually served over fried rice)

http://kelseysappleaday.blogspot.com/2010/08/garlic-rice-pilaf.html

http://simplyhealthyfam.blogspot.com/2010/06/roasted-baby-red-potatoes-with-cracked.html

http://adashofsass.com/2009/10/10/italian-sausage-white-bean-stew/ (I've made this 3 or 4 times now. Easy week night meal to throw together, taste kinda like pizza. I use tomato sauce~my guys don't like tomato chunks.)

http://latabledenana.blogspot.com/2009/05/yet-another-general.html General Tso

http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2008/12/italian-sausage-cacciatore.html

http://www.mangiodasola.com/2009/12/salisbury-steak.html (yumm)

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2010/10/weekend-blog-showcase-slow-cooker.html (I used this as a guide. I cubed up Chuck Roast, browned and tossed in the crock pot. We don't mushrooms, so just omitted used beef stock and red wine as the "jus" in the crock pot. I a dab of cream cheese (about 4 oz) and some sour cream and just enough cream to make a good "gravy". Served over rice.)

• cookingrvc
    13 years ago

Here are some your family might like. Enjoy.
    Sue

Chicken/Veggie Stacks
    1 Eggplant
    2 Zucchini
    4 thin-sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    2 Portobello mushrooms, sliced into 1/4" slices
    2 Cups favorite pasta sauce
    Grated cheese

Preheat oven to 425.
    Slice eggplant length wise into 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick slices
    Place slices in one layer on rack over a cookie sheet (with sides).
    Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 30 minutes (this extracts bitter flavor)
    Spray a cookie sheet (with sides) with oil (use two sheets if necessary)
    Rinse and dry, then place eggplant and sliced zucchini in one layer on the cookie sheet.
    Spray lightly and roast in lower have of oven for 15 minutes, or until eggplant is tender but not overcooked.
    Remove from oven and cool slightly.

Once cool enough to handle, carefully remove slices from pan and reserve on separate dish.
    For each serving, place one slice of eggplant on cookie sheet then top with a slice of zucchini.
    Spread with 1 tablespoon of sauce then top with a small amount of mozzarella.
    Continue layering, finishing with mozzarella on top.
    Top with a little sauce and sprinkle with grated cheese.

Return of oven and cook until cheese is melted.

Serve with Italian bread and a side of pasta.
    =================
    Stuffed Chicken Cutlets (Cheese, Ham, & Asparagus)
    NOTE:
    Any type of filling can be used such as bread stuffing.
    Also consider using any type of cheese like goat cheese, herbed cream cheese, Fontina, etc.
    Additionally, spinach leaves can be used as well as any kind of meat such as prosciutto.
    4 Boneless, skinless chicken cutlets
    1 T Parsley, dried
    1 C Grated Jarlesburg cheese
    4 Slices ham
    12 Asparagus stalks
    1 Egg, beaten
    2 C. Chicken stock (or broth)
    3/4 cup white wine
    2 T Butter
    2 T Flour
    Pound chicken cutlets so they're of even thickness.
    Layer parsley, Jarlesburg, ham, asparagus.
    Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
    Roll up cutlet and tie with kitchen string (be sure to tie the ends tight so that filling isn't lost during cooking).
    Brush with egg and roll in seasoned breadcrumbs or panko (Japanese breadcrumbs).
    Lay chicken rolls seam side down in baking pan that fits the rolls so they're not crowded.
    Add chicken stock and wine to pan (should come up about 1/2 inch).
    Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes
    Remove chicken rolls from pan and keep warm.
    Melt 2 T. butter in small sauce pan over medium-high heat.
    Add flour and stir until lightly golden.
    Carefully add the baking pan liquids to the sauce pan and whisk until thickened.
    Serve chicken and pass the gravy.
    ===================

Lemon Chicken (Mr. C's)

If making ahead, store in a baking dish and reheat covered, in oven for 30 minutes at 300 or in a chafing dish.
    2 lbs. chicken breasts, skinless, boneless
    3/4 cup Flour
    4 T. Butter
    1/4 cup Canola oil
    1 C. Dry white wine
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1 C. Chicken broth (canned or home made)
    8 lemon slices
    Fresh parsley for garnish
    Pound chicken cutlets to 1/4 or 1/3 inch thick.
    Cut into 2x2" pieces.
    Lightly coat with flour.
    Heat butter in large skillet.
    When bubbly, add oil.
    When oil is hot, add chicken pieces in batches so only one layer of chicken is in pan at a time - brown lightly on both sides.
    Remove chicken and reserve in a baking dish.
    When all pieces are browned and removed from pan, add wine and lemon juice to pan.
    Scrape up bits on bottom of pan (deglaze).
    Bring to a boil, and reduce liquid over high heat, for 3 minutes.
    Add chicken broth and reduce for another 3 minutes.
    Return chicken to pan.
    Top with lemon slices.
    Simmer for 5 - 6 minutes.
    Garnish with fresh parsley and additional lemon slices.

===================================
    Chicken Sorrentino
    6 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded very thin
    2 T. Butter
    1 Eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch diagonal slices
    1 Egg, beaten
    2/3 C. Flour
    1 C. Seasoned breadcrumbs
    Cooking spray
    1 C. Sherry
    1 C. Chicken stock (or canned broth)
    6 Slices prosciutto
    6 Slices mozzarella
    Preheat oven to 375 F.
    Lightly coat a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet) with oil.
    Coat eggplant slices with flour, then dip into egg, then breadcrumbs.
    Place eggplant slices on cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes
    While eggplant is cooking:
    Heat large skillet and melt butter.
    Brown the chicken cutlets for a few minutes until golden brown.
    Remove from skillet, set aside and keep warm.
    When eggplant slices are tender, remove from oven and set aside.
    Over medium-high heat, add sherry and chicken broth to skillet, scraping up all brown bits (deglazing the pan)
    Cook for about 2 minutes, reducing sauce somewhat.
    Add chicken cutlets back to pan and top with a piece of prosciutto and a piece of eggplant.
    Spoon some sauce over the top and cover for 2 minutes, over medium-high heat.
    Remove cover and top with mozzarella slices.
    Cover and heat over medium heat for 1 minute or until mozzarella melts.
    ==============================

Flank Steak - Stuffed
    Servings: 4
    1 Flank steak, butterflied
    3/4 Cup Parmesan cheese, grated
    3 Tablespoons Parsley, chopped, dry or fresh
    3 Cloves garlic, minced
    Salt and pepper
    2 Tablespoons Olive oil
    Mix cheese, parsley, and garlic, then spread on butterflied flank steak.
    Sprinkle with salt and fresh-ground pepper.
    Roll tightly, and tie at 1 - 1 inch intervals.
    Make sure the ends are tied to prevent filling from oozing out.
    Heat grill.
    Brown all sides of roast.
    Set roast over non-fire part of the grill, cover and let roast for 30 minutes or until internal temp is 130.
    Let sit for up to 10 minutes. Cut on diagnonal into 1-inch slices.
    ======================================

Salisbury Steak in Mushroom and Green Peppercorn
    Sauce
    Ann Thibeault (Ann_t)
    2 lbs ground Sirloin
    1 onion , chopped fine
    2 cloves garlic minced
    2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
    1 Tablespoon Worchestershire Sauce
    1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    Sauce
    1/2 small onion chopped
    1 garlic clove minced
    1 Tablespoon green peppercorns
    Fresh Mushrooms sliced
    Flour
    Broth (Beef or chicken)
    Pan drippings
    Saute onions in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil until tender but not browned. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
    In a bowl combined ground sirloin, parsley, thyme, dijon mustard, worchestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Add onions and garlic and mix well. (I use my hands).
    Form into oval shaped patties. (I made 5 nice size ones from the 2 lbs, but you could make smaller if you prefer)
    If you have a grill pan use it. Heat pan until hot and grill steaks until grilled on both sides. Add a bit of broth to the pan to pick up the drippings to add to sauce.
    Sauce
    Saute onion in 1 Tablespoon of oil until tender. Add mushroom and cook for 3 or 4 minutes and add flour. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes and add broth and green peppercorns. Place Salisbury Steaks in with sauce and continue to cook on low for at least one hour. This makes the meat really fork tender.

Shrimp Wrapped in Prosciutto with Mozzarella in a
    White Wine/Shallot Sauce
    Dad/Sue
    Servings: 6
    Serves 6 as a first course
    18 jumbo shrimp, shelled and de-veined
    10 Slices prosciutto, sliced very thin
    4 T Butter
    3 Shallots - diced
    2 Garlic cloves - chopped
    1/3 C Chicken stock , or broth
    2 T Olive oil
    1/2 C Dry white wine
    8 oz Mozzerella - cut into strips
    Preheat oven to 375.
    Cut prosciutto in half length-wise, using one half for each shrimp.
    Wrap each shrimp with prosciutto.
    Place in oven-proof dish with at least 1" between shrimp.
    Set aside.
    In a small saucepan, melt butter.
    Add shallots and garlic - saute until golden.
    Add olive oil - cook for 1 minute
    Add chicken stock - reduce over high-simmer for 2 minutes.
    Add white wine and reduce over high-simmer for 3 minutes.
    Sauce should be slightly thickened.
    Pour mixture over shrimp.
    Bake at 375 until shrimp are almost cooked through (10-15 minutes)
    Carefully place mozzarella strips over each slice.
    Return to oven and cook until mozzarella is melted.
    Place in serving dish.
    Spoon sauce over shrimp.
    Serving Ideas: Serve with warm, crusty Italian bread.

===========================
    Pecan-Crusted Salmon with Mango Salsa
    Servings: 8
    8 Salmon filets
    2 C. pecans
    1 T. Garlic
    1/2 t. Salt
    1/4 t. cayenne pepper
    1/2 C. Mayonnaise
    Mango Salsa
    Preheat oven to 400.
    Grind pecans into a course meal.
    Mix together garlic, salt, and cayenne.
    Coat filets with mayo, then dip into pecans, coating thoroughly.
    Place filets on cooking rack set in a baking pan.
    Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until fish is cooked through.
    Serve over mango salsa.
    ==========================================
    Salmon with Creamy Mustard Sauce
    Serve with Creamy Mustard Sauce
    4 Salmon Filets or steaks
    Dijon-style mustard
    Salt
    Olive oil
    Sprinkle salmon filets or steaks with olive oil and a little salt, and lightly brush with Dijon-style mustard.
    Broil or grill it until done to taste.
    Dijon Cream Sauce
    3 Tablespoons Flour
    3 Tablespoons Butter
    3/4 Cup Milk, warmed
    3/4 Cup Chicken stock, warmed
    3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
    3 Tablespoons White wine
    Melt butter in saucepan ocer medium-high heat
    Add flour and whisk
    Let cook, stirring constantly for 2 mintues
    Add milk, whisk
    Add chicken stock, whisk
    Whisk constantly until mixture starts to thicken
    Add mustard and wine
    Whisk until thickened
    Serving Ideas: Serve with grilled or oven-roasted salmon

===============================
    Pasta with Zucchini and Prosciutto- Lite
    8 oz. Pasta (rigatoni or penne)
    1 1/2 T. Reduced-calorie margarine
    1 1/2 T. Flour
    1 C chicken broth, halved
    1/2 C 1% milk
    1/4 C Grated Parmesan cheese
    1 oz. Prosciutto
    Freshly ground pepper
    3 Medium Zucchini, peeled, chopped
    Cook pasta. Drain.
    Sauce
    Melt margarine in a small sauce pan.
    Add flour, mix well to a thick paste.
    Cook for 2 minutes over med-high heat, stirring constantly.
    Add 1/2 C. chicken broth and milk.
    Wisk constantly over med-high heat until thickened.
    Add cheese, prosciutto, and pepper.
    Meanwhile, cook zucchini in remaining chicken broth until crisp-tender.
    Pour sauce over pasta, add zucchini.

========================
    Gianfranco's Pasta (Pasta with Sausage, mushrooms, and Parmesan cheese).
    Gianfranco
    1 pound Pasta, Penne, Rigatoni, and bowties work well)
    4 sausage links, Sweet, no fennel
    10 Oz Mushrooms, sliced
    3-4 Garlic cloves, Chopped fine
    1 C Grated Parmesan cheese
    Prepare pasta according to directions (Penne, Rigatoni, and bowties work well here)- make sure not to overcook.
    Meanwhile, remove sweet sausage from casing and saute in a fry pan, breaking it up as you cook it. Add Gar;ic halfway thru cooking.
    Slice mushrooms and add to cooking sausage until they are both well cooked - keep warm.
    When pasta is done, drain (reserve some pasta water) and toss with sausage/mushroom mixture and grated cheese.
    Add some of the reserved cooking water if pasta seems dry.
    =============================
    Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
    You'll need butcher string to tie this up.
    Once you get the knack of butterflying the tenderloin, this is very easy to make.
    Consider substituting or adding sauteed mushrooms, fresh unclooked asparagus, prosciutto, etc.
    2 Pork tenderloin, Costco sells thenm cheap and they're good
    1 Cup fresh spinach, rinsed and drained.
    1 C. grated Jarlsberg cheese, or Fontina
    1/3 C. grated Parmesan cheese , or goat cheese
    2 t. garlic powder, Fresh garlic is too potent for this dish
    Salt/Pepper
    2 C White wine, or chicken stock
    Butterfly each tenderloin, and carefully pound to even thickness.
    Place on work surface, overlapping the long sides by about an inch or so (this makes the surface quite large for layering the
    ingredients).
    Layer the spinach leaves, then the grated Jarlesberg, then the parmesan.
    Sprinkle with garlic powder and some salt and pepper.
    Roll the roast tightly and tie off at 1.5 inch intervals.
    You can add some wine or chicken stock to the pan (about 2 cups).
    Preheat oven to 400F and roast (uncovered) 24 minutes per pound until internal temperature is around 160ish.
    (Typical tenderloins should take 1.5 hours (approx).
    Check temperature after 50 minutes and then every 10 minutes so it doesn't overcook.
    When cooked, remove from oven, transfer roast to a cutting board, and loosely cover with foil - let sit for 15 minutes.
    Drain liquids into a saucepan, turn heat up to medium-high and reduce liquid for 2 minutes - reduce heat to low. If there is
    less than 1.5 cups of liquid, add some chicken or beef broth.
    Mix a slurry of flour and cold water, then slowly add to the gravy until thickened.
    ==================================

Pork Medallions with Mustard-Caper Sauce
    1 Pork tenderloin
    2 Cups Bread crumbs, seasoned, Fresh or packaged
    1 Egg, beat it up
    3/4 Cup Flour
    4 Tablespoons Butter
    4 Tablespoons Cooking oil
    Mustard-Caper Sauce
    Slice tenderloin into 1/2-inch medallions
    Pound medalions into 1/4-inch rounds
    Dredge each medallion in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs
    Lay on wax paper until ready for frying
    Melt 1/2 the butter in heavy, large skillet over medium-high heat
    Add 1/2 the oil when foaming subsides
    Add pork to skillet in one layer, being careful not to crowd.
    Cook for 2 minutes per side.
    Remove and keep warm in a 250 oven
    Cook remaining medallions and keep warm.
    Prepare Mustard Caper Sauce
    Arrange medallions slightly overlapping on plate and drizzle with sauce.
    ========================================

Pork Loin Braised in Milk
    Marcella Hazan
    Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
    An outstanding, simple dish. Perfect for a dinner party.
    This is made with a pork loin (bone in) roast, NOT a tenderloin.
    A sloping-sided braiser is best. Pots with high sides will not reduce and brown the milk properly.
    If cooked as a roast, the sides will be fork tender, but the middle chops will not be as tender. To remedy, cut roast into
    double chops before cooking.
    1 T. Butter
    2 T. Vegetable oil
    2 1/2 pounds Pork loin roast
    Salt
    Black pepper, ground fresh
    2 1/2 Cups Whole milk
    3/4 Cup Heavy cream
    3/4 Cup Chicken broth
    2 T. Fine flour, Wondra is good
    Choose a heavy-bottomed pot that can snuggly accomodate the roast.
    Put in butter and oil and turn heat to medium high.
    When the butter foam subsides, add the meat, the fat side should be facing down.
    As it browns, turn it, every few minutes to brown evenly all around.
    Lower the heat if the butter browns too much.
    Add salt, pepper, and 1 cup of milk.
    Add milk slowly so it doesn't boil over.
    Allow the milk to simmer for 20 - 30 seconds; turn the heat down to minimum, and cover pot with the lid slightly ajar.
    Cook at lazy simmer for approximately 1 hour, turning the meat occasionally, until the milk has thickened, through evaporation, into a nut-brown sauce.
    When the milk reaches this stage, and not before, add one more cup of milk - let it simmer for about 10 minutes, then cover the pot, putting the lid on tightly. Check and turn the pork from time to time.
    After 30 minutes, set the lid slightly ajar.
    Continue to cook at minimum heat; when there is no liquid lft in the pot, add a 1/2 cup milk.
    Continue cooking until the meat feels tender when prodded with a fork and all the milk has coagulated into dark clusters.
    Altogether, it will take about 3 hours.
    If before the meat is fully cooked, you find that the liquid in the pot has evaporated, add another 1/2 cup of mild, repeating the
    step if it should become necessary.
    When the pork is tender and all the milk in the pot has thickened into dark clusters, transfer the meat to a cutting board.
    Let it settle for a few minutes, then cut into single or double-thick chops; arrange on warm serving platter.
    Tip the pot and spoon off most of the fat-there may be as much as a cup of it - being careful to leave behind all the coagulated
    clusters.
    Add 2-3 tablespoons of chicken stock or broth and boil it away while using a wooden spoon to scrape loose the cooking
    residue from the bottom and sides of the pot.
    Over med-high heat, add 3/4 cup heavy cream, and 1/2 cup chicken broth.
    Whisk and add flour to thicken further if needed.
    Reduce until desired thick consistency.
    Pass gravy through a fine sieve, pushing against the mesh with a wooden spoon to get all the liquid out.
    ============================
    Eggplant Rollatini
    Eggplant can be first coated with egg whites then dipped in panko that has been seasoned with garlic powder, grated Italian
    cheese, and parsley (or use seasoned breadcrumbs) before initial baking.
    Low-fat ricotta can be used in place of whole-milk ricotta.
    Rollatini can be frozen individually on cookie sheets for 8 hours, then packed in airtight container or freezer bags to up to
    1.5 months.
    For a variation, add curry powder and diced green chiles to the ricotta mixture. Spice up the tomato sauce by sauteeing hot
    red pepper flakes in olive oil before adding to the sauce.
    2 Large eggplant, peeled
    Olive oil
    16 oz Ricotta
    8 oz. Mozzarella, grated
    3/4 C. Grated Parmesan cheese (separate into 1/2 C and 1/4 C)
    2 T. Dried parsley , or 3 T. fresh chopped
    3/4 Cup fresh spinach, chopped (optional)
    Salt/Pepper
    1 Egg
    1 Egg yolk
    1 1/2 C Quick Tomato Sauce (see recipe) or your favorite sauce.
    Preheat oven to 350F.
    Cut peeled eggplant in 1/2 inch lengthwise slices.
    Coat a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides) with olive oil.
    Place eggplant slices in pan, then brush or spray ligthly with olive oil, salt.
    Cook at 350 for 15 minutes, cool.
    Mix ricotta, 3/4 of the mozzarella, 1/2 C Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Add salt/pepper to taste.
    Taste the mixture to check seasoning before adding raw eggs; adjust as necessary.
    Add 1 egg, and 1 egg yolk, mix well.
    At widest short end place a scnat 1/4 C filling and roll up jelly-roll style.
    Please each roll into a baking dish, seam-side down.
    Top each with a couple of spoonfuls of sauce.
    Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, remove foil, sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese; bake another 5
    minutes.

Eggplant Parmesan - Lite (2 servings)
    2 Eggplant
    6 oz Mozzarella - sliced thin
    2 Cups prepared sauce
    Grated cheese

Preheat oven to 425.
    Slice eggplant length wise into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices
    Place slices in one layer on rack over a baking sheet (cookie sheet with sides).
    Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 30 minutes (this extracts bitter flavor)
    Rinse and dry, then place in one layer on a cookie sheet.
    Spray a cookie sheet with oil

Spray lightly and roast in lower have of oven for 15 minutes, or until eggplant is tender but not overcooked.
    Remove from oven and cool slightly.

Once cool enough to handle, carefully remove eggplant slices from cookie sheet and reserve on separate dish.
    For each serving, place one slice of eggplant on cookie sheet and spread with a tablespoon of sauce.
    Top with a small amount of mozzarella and continue layering finishing with mozzarella on top.
    Top with a little sauce then sprinkle with some grated cheese.
    Return to oven and cook until cheese is melted.

Serve with Italian bread and a side of pasta.

• gillylily
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW!!! Gone for the afternoon and so exciting to come home to find all of these great recipes. Thank you so much for all of them.!! I can't wait to try so many of them.

One question.. I don't have a crockpot and planning on buying one this week. Any recommendations on which to purchase?

Thanks again! I will certainly be coming back frequently for more recipes! YUM!

• bbstx
    13 years ago

My recommendations for a Crockpot (generically, a slow cooker): buy one that has a removable "crock" and buy Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners. Also buy one that is appropriate for the size of your family.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

gillylilly, I have a crockpot and I really like it for a pot of beans, or baked beans, pulled pork, BBQ beef sandwiches.

However, I just got a Nesco 6 quart roaster for Christmas and I really like it better than a crockpot. I browned the beef for a pot of beef vegetable soup, then turned down the heat and used it like a crockpot to simmer the soup. I made black eyed peas in it for New Year's Day and I used it as a "second oven" today to make the twice baked potatoes because I had pork loin and dinner rolls in my oven.

You might want to consider one in place of the traditional crockpot, I got mine on Amazon for somewhere around $45, I got the stainless steel one with a non-stick insert, but they have red and white too, they have enameled inserts instead of nonstick, so you have a variety of choices.

the only other advice I'd give is not to get too big a crockpot if you aren't going to cook large amounts. You're actually supposed to fill them at least 2/3 full, I think, and a 6 quart for two people, 2/3 full, is a lot of food. Bigger isn't always better, depending on your usage.

Annie

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

gillylilly,
    You don't say how old the kids are (and how many), but having raised 4, I have some general suggestions.

Any meal they can assemble themselves seems to go over well.
    Ex: Baked potato bar (prep several toppings and offer in individual bowls).
    Chef Salads
    Build Your Own Burrito/Taco

Let them take turns deciding what's for dinner!
    If you have the space for a garden, grow something. Even if it's just a pot with peppers or tomatoes on a balcony, kids seem to want to try things they've grown.

I was fortunate that my kids weren't overly picky (yeah, they eat brussel sprouts, artichokes, broccoli in addition to the "standard" green beans, carrots, corn, etc.).
    They did, however, go through stages where they "hated" different foods. I refused to be a short-order cook. They ate what was offered. Period.
    They were allowed to leave tomatoes off their burrito though if they chose to. There were plenty of other veggies they did eat. That resulted in fewer arguments at meal times and that's ALWAYS good!

Deanna