SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rainbrella14

Hubby wants a 2-story, but I hate stairs...

Rainbrella14
10 years ago

I've read lots of posts on this topic, but reading is not helping me decide, so I thought I would throw this out there...

My husband and I (early 30s) are in the early stages of building our next home. Our dilemma: husband wants a 2-story master up, I would like a bungalow or possibly a 1.5 story with master on main level. Both would have unfinished basements. We have lived in everything except master on main level.

***We both feel the other's position is reasonable, making it even harder to come to a decision.***

Obviously, this basic decision affects everything (inc. land purchase), so we are stalled.

Husbands Point of View:

- He grew up in a 2-story (is accustomed to it). Feels safer sleeping "up".
- You get more bang (floor space) for your buck
- More energy efficient (cold climate)
- Stairs keep you healthy
- Easier to entertain adults while kids sleep, or sleep-in while the early risers are up
- Family sleeps together on one floor
- He can be loud on Friday nights in man-land in the basement
- Easier when the kids are little for night-wakings

My Point of View:

- Grew up in a split-entry and slept in the basement (I don't need to sleep "up")
- Dislike the "disconnect" between the main level and upper floors
- Dislike stairs
- Thinks husbands soundproofing benefits are overstated (no 2-level ceilings)
- I don't want to build a house for the occasional entertaining. I want to build a house for everyday living (my go-to argument)
- Harder to keep tidy (stuff always sits, needing to go up or down)
- I want to build a home for the long term. The kids aren't little for long (disability, old age, etc...)
- A bonus room above the garage would be a great man-land. We could soundproof it.
- I would consider the master down in the right layout... Unfortunately, I don't think two masters is an option for us.

Other considerations:

- We like small, quality and good design over quantity
- Dislike basements for everyday living space (prefer to keep unfinished).
- We are both "neat freaks" (to a fault).
- We both want 9-10' ceilings, and ideally a great room with vaulted ceilings
- We both prefer any stairs to be "split" (technical term?). I haven't looked into the costs or limitations.
- I work from home. Any layout needs a main floor den/office.

Budget:
Our budget offers us roughly 2000 sf bungalow, 2300 sf 1.5 story, or 2600 2-story, give or take. This is a unofficial guesstimate from talking to a few builders in our area. Or, we could buy a brand-new, 3000 sf 2-story today with mid-range finishes (not attractive to us).

Some internet plans we like (all require some layout modifications).

2-story #1

2-story #2:

Bungalow #1

Bungalow #2

Master down

I know I'm not asking any specific question and we just need to decide. But does anyone have any considerations we haven't thought of? Advice? Any experience? If anything, writing this down was a good exercise.

Thank you!

Comments (31)