SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Hubby wanted a 'natural' lawn

joyce_6333
12 years ago

This is my first time posting, and sure hope someone here can offer advice. We just built a new home on a couple acres of wooded land. After final grade, DH had 6" of black dirt spread out, and then seeded it with a wildflower mixture from seedland.com. -- just around the house where the trees were disturbed. Then he put straw over the top. He and I totally disagreed on this whole process. I felt for the amount of money he spent he could have had it all sodded. But that's another story for another day. Anyway, now we have a yard full of the most awful weeds. Tall, thick grasses that grow at least 3' to 4' tall, oats (yes oats!), many broadleaf weeds that are HUGE and very little wildflowers. It's absolutely horrible. Where do we start to rectify this mess. I've been pulling these tough grasses and weeds until I'm blue in the face. And now we have clover, I mean HUGE clover. Impossible to pull out. I doubt even tilling the whole yard would help. Any ideas? I'm afraid this is a long process and may take years to get a nice lawn. HELP! and thanks.

Comments (16)